DIY ideas please to soften 75 ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, new member.. I am starting building 2x Landcruiser 75 series tray backs into open top safari 4x4s... ie to drive into the aussie bush as licensed. Then remove roof, windscreen and doors for my safari business, bush work, creeks, harsh rocky terrain, then 5 months later roof, windscreen doors goes back on, and drive back into town.

SUSPENSION - One of them has the hardest suspension I have ever witnessed in my entire 58 year life of owning about 40 4x4s personally and in my business's.. back bruising terrible.!! The other has half as many leaf springs, and feels 50% softer to drive... but still horrible. I want some advice from other owners who may have been successful in making a 75 series ute or troopy into a softer acceptable ride. I have been spoiled for 15 years used 80 series on rough tracks etc, and love those coils springs etc. BUT now I need OPEN TOP 4x4s to go through thick and medium bush in our new area, no tracks, quite rocky, they will get dents, branches fall on them, as old trees etc get pushed to get through. I have considered Parabolics, I test drove an old troopy recently with such, and it drove very nice, but just don't have 2 times Aud$3000 to do that atm. I also spoke to a young guy in the hills, who said he wouldn't buy parabolics again due to cost, he'd find or buy a lifted spring set, and remove leaves as required. I will fit extended non inversion shackles all round... and will juggle the assembly of the springs I have from 3x vehicles to get it softer.

CATTLE STATIONS - I know these particular 75 vehicles get used for mustering in bush on northern cattle stations, as they are super strong and reliable, however I cant imagine anyone using them for such tasks without improving suspension dramatically. Many people fit new lifted suspension and expect a softer ride for their $$s, but get harsh and dissappointed...!! I fiited standard rears back in a 2006 Hilux 2 years ago, as it was too hard.

FEEDBACK - Has anyone done this on limited time and budget.... any ideas on the 75 springs, and the softest shocks for corugated and rocky please.?

Mine rides pretty nice, but it can't load up a full ton anymore. Pulled the 1cm thick lower bars of steel out of the pack. Still sits at normal height. Running an aluminum tray so not very heavy on the back end.

Flat out with other work... but have finally serviced both the 75s, took the seats out, one now has new floor pans welded in. Took the roofs off to inspect.. plenty of angles and rubbers, no wonder they leak and some rust... Roof was heavy for 2 to lift off in one piece.
I took the roo bars off, to find nicer winchbars, which I found 2 ARBs and both waiting on new paint jobs.. and one needs a sledge hammer to fix a dent. Much easier to service etc with the roobars off.. Last night changed a pair of front shackles to lifted ones, that was easy too... Next job, remove some rear spring leaves, not looking fwd to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom