DIY fuse box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed to clean my wiring and relays up, so I decided a new fuse box was in order. Enter the Bussmann box:
DSCN2158_zps5f85445a.jpg

DSCN2159_zpsd5986bb6.jpg

DSCN2160_zps8612c2fc.jpg

It'll hold 10 relays and 40 fuses. I'm using it a little differently and it'll only have 10 relays and 20 fuses, but it should power all my lights and misc. interior electronics.
DSCN2295_zpsc0c20cf7.jpg

Lots of friggin' wiring out the back. Simple connectors for everything as well:
DSCN2309_zps25a62531.jpg

Had a bracket cut and bent while I was doing the front bumper:
DSCN2518_zps24c83cd2.jpg

New mounting holes drilled for solenoid and mounting to fender. Primed and painted as well:
DSCN2560_zpsba65b007.jpg

Solenoid mounted to bracket. Provides 200A of power to block when ignition is on:
DSCN2561_zps00ad98a7.jpg

Final mounting. Wires will be cleaned up some when new bumper is done and lights are reattached:
DSCN2562_zps90fd1ff0.jpg

DSCN2563_zpsef04ee1a.jpg

As it is now, it's powering 5 pairs of lights, CB, video system, heated seats with much more expandability.

Lots of friggin' wiring out the back. Simple connectors for everything as well:

Where did you get the connectors from? I need to rewire my trailer.

Terminals come from the Delphi Packard 280 Series Metri-Pack line. They come in male and female and each is dependent on the wiring gauge that you're using. The cavity plugs are the same way and come in different colors per wire gauge. The colors are hard to find corresponding wire gauges for, but I believe this is correct:

12 gauge = Blue
14-16 gauge = Gray
16-18 gauge = Green
18-20 gauge = Tan
20-22 gauge = Purple
22-24 gauge = Red

Install is simple. You slide a cavity plug on the wire you're connecting. Crimp the male or female terminal to the wire. I soldered mine after this as an added precaution. Slide the terminal in to the connector or housing until it clicks in place. Slide the cavity plug along the wire until it's plugging the cavity at the back of the housing or connector. Done. Repeat as needed.

Female terminals plug in to the rear of the main fuse box housing. Male and female terminals are used on male and female connectors. Order as needed.

Many of the connectors, plugs and terminals need to be bought in multiples since that's how supply houses sell them. You're likely to end up with some extras. Being that these items are small, the shipping isn't too bad, but most supply houses do charge a handling fee to pick out 10 of item X, 20 of item Y, 50 of item Z, etc.

So far, I've purchased all of my items from Waytek, but there are other places. Here are a few links for sales and references:
http://www.whiteproducts.com/sealed280.shtml
http://www.waytekwire.com/products/1...80-Series&pg=1
http://delphi.com/connectors/assets/...ure/met280.pdf

That fuse box looks trick! Nice work.

Is this just an aux fuse box or are you replacing the factory box entirely? Pretty overkill for an aux box, no?

Either way, beautiful work :D

This is just an aux. box, but for the money it was cheaper and cleaner than any aftermarket solution out there. The biggest issue is that I needed more than the 5-6 relays that most other boxes come with, so this uses less space in the end with more options for expandability. I love me some overkill though!

Looks great, I may do this to just rewire my old suburban as I need to chase some bad wires down and hate where they put the fuse panel in those trucks... .have to be a contortionist to get to it. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom