DIY Fan Bracket Pulley Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking through other threads that might be able to detail the process of what it's like to change out the Fan bracket pulley since I haven't done it before. I did it today and it was a bitch (took me about 6 hours) but I got it done and it wasn't too difficult as it was mostly just knowing the things to remove and how to get at certain bolts but it did take me longer than I hoped because I couldn't find videos on a Land Cruiser 100 replacement video. So here's the steps I took to get it done. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos but I figure anything is better than nothing.

Step 1) Drain all coolant from the vehicle using the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, there is an opening in the baseplate about a foot from the front left of the vehicle. Additionally drain the coolant from the engine block if you know how to. It's a bitch to find the drain plugs for the block but they are on either side. Just attach some hose from your auto part store (I used flexible vacuum line I bought in bulk). Here's a diagram of the drain plugs

Step 2) LEAVE THE SERPENTINE BELT ON and loosen then remove the 4 12mm nuts that hold on the fan clutch. If your belt has broken or fallen off (like mine did) go to your local auto parts store and borrow their fan clutch removal tool. Remove the serpentine belt after this.

3) Unbolt the 12mm bolts that hold on the electrical lines, A/C hoses and coolant reservoir and the 3 12mm bolts that keep the fan shroud mounted to the radiator. There are two bolts up top and 1 on the left side just below the coolant reservoir. Remove reservoir, fan shroud and fan clutch.

4) You don't have to do this but I removed the air intake assembly. It's pretty easy just two 10mm bolts on the left side of the assembly and use a phillips head to loosen the screws that keep the clips things (I can't remember what they are called) that keep the hose connected to the air filter side and then the throttle body side. There's a handful of vacuum hoses that need to be pulled off as well. You can manage the whole thing without removing this but having the extra space was really helpful for putting the serpentine belt back on.

5) Remove the timing belt covers on both sides (great time to change your timing belt if you know how to do that). On the left there will be an additional cover that is more towards the middle that mounts to the fan bracket over it so you need to take it off. I believe there are 3 10mm bolts on either side and 1 10mm plastic nut in the middle of the cover on either side. There are two 12mm(?) bolts on the middle cover that need to come out. You will also need to disconnect the electrical plugs that come out of the cover on the right to get enough space to remove the bracket. Remove left timing belt covers and set aside. Move the right one with the electrical plug out of the way but don't bother to remove it.

6) Remove idler pulley (the top one) using a 15mm and remove every other bolt or nut connected to the front of the bracket. You might want to change the bearing for the idler pulley at this point but you don't have to. Not counting the idle pulley bolt, there should be 7 things to remove from the bracket at this point. 6 of them are in front, I believe 3 12mm bolts (after the one that runs through the middle timing belt cover) 1 14 mm nut, 1 10 mm bolt that mounts a coolant line, a 14 mm big one on the bottom right. Then two 14mm bolts that connect on the side of the bracket through the A/C compressor (bottom right pulley). The one closest to the bottom you can reach from the front pretty easily and the one on top is a bitch to get to. I used two long extensions and went through the wheel well right next to the shock and was able to remove it easily from there.

7) Disconnect the coolant hoses that attatch to the T connector that then runs down to where the oil filter is. If you didn't drain the engine block coolant you will definitely have some spillage at this point. If you can plug the hose some way then that makes things easier.

8) Disconnect the electrical plug that is connected to the bracket on the bottom right of the fan bracket. Use a pair of pliers to then slide the side of the connector that is mounted and move it out of the way. At this point you can either bend the corner piece out of the way or use a really long phillips head screwdriver to remove the two screws that keep the metal piece from removing the fan bracket, or you can just bend it out of the way with pliers or a screwdriver.

9) Now you can finally remove the fan bracket, just pull it off, take the screws out of the front plate and put into new fan bracket (if your fan bracket didn't come with new ones already.

10) Work backwards and put everything back on!

I hope this was helpful, sorry there's no photos. You should definitely look into changing your timing belt since you basically take all the stuff off that you need to get off to change it anyways. But obviously timing the belt if you don't know how to or don't have proper tools to do it.

Cheers

Thanks for a great write up. Started this process today, and it’s my first piece of work beyond very basic maintenance. A little intimidating, but so far so good. Should have everything out tomorrow, replacing the fan bracket and fan clutch, then to put everything back in! Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this. It’s very helpful. Did you have to drain the oil and remove the oil filter to get the bottom 14mm bolt by the A/C compressor that was mentioned in 6?

Somewhat related— @OTRAMM 's timing belt replacement videos (I think there are two) detail getting at that A/C bolt. It's not as bad a job if you know what's coming.

Nice write up.

Hey all,

On my 2004 LX470 with 150k miles I'm replacing my radiator (worn and leaking slightly), thermostat (PM), a few low pressure PS hoses (leaking), fan clutch (PM), and serpentine tensioner pulley (PM). I was wondering if I should also replace the fan bracket pulley as preventative maintenance. It would be cheaper to buy it on Amazon before the job rather than having to run to the toyota dealer the weekend of the job if I find it to be bad. I have no symptoms currently.

What would it look like if the pulley were bad (other than the obvious clunking/scraping feeling, very difficult to turn, or noises)? Should it spin freely for 20+ revolutions with the fan clutch off? Or should it just make 1-2 smooth revolutions? I can't look at the back for lots of grease coming out obviously unless I do a lot more work just to check it, but if I'm going to go through that much work I would just replace it as PM.

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks

Hey all,

On my 2004 LX470 with 150k miles I'm replacing my radiator (worn and leaking slightly), thermostat (PM), a few low pressure PS hoses (leaking), fan clutch (PM), and serpentine tensioner pulley (PM). I was wondering if I should also replace the fan bracket pulley as preventative maintenance. It would be cheaper to buy it on Amazon before the job rather than having to run to the toyota dealer the weekend of the job if I find it to be bad. I have no symptoms currently.

What would it look like if the pulley were bad (other than the obvious clunking/scraping feeling, very difficult to turn, or noises)? Should it spin freely for 20+ revolutions with the fan clutch off? Or should it just make 1-2 smooth revolutions? I can't look at the back for lots of grease coming out obviously unless I do a lot more work just to check it, but if I'm going to go through that much work I would just replace it as PM.

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks

Getting to the bracket means you have to pull off a whole pile of parts. It's loads easier to do with the radiator out, but the job is probably easiest when you're doing a timing belt since those parts have to come off anyway.

If you have no symptoms and have a timing belt service due within a year or so, I'd probably wait until then.

If you have no symptoms and have a timing belt service due within a year or so, I'd probably wait until then.
Thanks, yes sorry as I intended to mention the TB information.

TB / WP was done by dealer 1 year ago and 25k miles ago. So it will probably be 4 years-ish before the next TB when I would definitely do this as PM. Half the job (the passenger's side of the bracket) will be done with the serpentine tensioner off but the hard part looks like the bolts on the drivers side with the A/C compressor.

Thanks, yes sorry as I intended to mention the TB information.

TB / WP was done by dealer 1 year ago and 25k miles ago. So it will probably be 4 years-ish before the next TB when I would definitely do this as PM. Half the job (the passenger's side of the bracket) will be done with the serpentine tensioner off but the hard part looks like the bolts on the drivers side with the A/C compressor.

Gut call then—it won't be any easier than when you already have the radiator out. The A/C bolts aren't bad if you know where they are and how to access—watch the section of OTRAMM video above and it goes like clockwork.

what are the symptoms of needing to replace the fan bracket? Also, probably a stupid question, but why does it fail? Are you really replacing a bearing that is in that bracket, or does the bracket just get old and break? I've never really understood this repair for some reason.

@BullElk
War Damn Eagle

Right back atcha!! War Eagle!!!

We lost our Coach yesterday. I had the great privilege of playing for Pat Dye. He gave me a free college education and lots of life lessons I will never forget.

what are the symptoms of needing to replace the fan bracket?

I'm guessing the symptoms are a chirping or scraping noise as with any bearing that is out of grease. But my question is, if you have the fan clutch off and you take the pulley for a spin what should it do if there is no obvious sound to indicate it's gone bad (e.g. how much should it spin)? Spin freely or just a few times with just a "door knob" type spin?

It may spin freely because it doesn't have the spring in it like in the clutch. But the best way to know the pulley is bad is the fan clutch rocking back and forth at the pulley attachment. (Top of fan moving toward radiator and back).

what are the symptoms of needing to replace the fan bracket? Also, probably a stupid question, but why does it fail? Are you really replacing a bearing that is in that bracket, or does the bracket just get old and break? I've never really understood this repair for some reason.

I just started the process of replacing the fan bracket on my 1999 100 series today. It was the original bracket. The symptoms on my truck was a wobble noise/ hum and a squeal occasionally. It would come and go depending on the rpms. Contrary to most people reporting obvious movement in the fan while it is attached, I did not experience that in my case, although the bearing was obviously bad. Once I got everything torn apart and pulled off the bracket it was visually very obvious the bearing was shot. Without the leverage and weight of the fan and clutch attached to the bracket, it would not spin freely. It would catch and grind. In my case it was also very rusty around the bearing

Thank you for the post. I will be replacing mine over the next few days.

old thread, but fwiw... did the fan pulley bracket today.. went pretty easy following Thomascho77's write up (Thanks for posting-helped tremendously!)
all in took me under 3 hours..and I'm just a basic diy'er not a mechanic so go for it...did not do the T-belt as I feel that's beyond my scope.. just have coolant on hand..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom