Disabled Explorers Project Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sing along with us now "Range Rover Range Rover watch it get made over!"
Welcome to Project Rover, our 2 part adventure turning this 1992 Range Rover Classic Country into something anyone can use to get out and explore the back country. And soon you will be able to buy raffle tickets to WIN THIS RIG!
roughrover.jpg

No we are not leaving the Toyota World behind, we are just adding the wonder world of Rovers!
This will be our first fresh from scratch build project and give-away...
So if you know about Rovers please help out with tips, tricks and tidbits...
If you have some parts you would like to donate we would be super grateful..
If you just want us to hurry up and get it done so you can win it then that is ok too!
To read more and follow the adventure click here

Last edited:
fun project Lance!! look forward to seeing out on the trails soon!

We just got it Sunday...
I was wanting a Long Wheel Base but they are much harder to find and it would be harder for someone to follow along with. So the Classic Country was a nice balance.

Really I have to give the credit to my 18 yr old son..he had cash for a vehicle and has been saying he wanted to help with Disabled Explorers more..so he helped pick this out as he will drive it during the week, help work on it, and pilot it on many of the trails...and after we raffle it off I will personally give him his cash back.

So phase 1 will be a low cost, get it ready and roll build so that newly disabled folks can see what is needed to explore the backcountry...we aren't worried about pretty stuff so we are calling it Rough Rover

Phase 2 will be the fully kitted out expedition/overland build so we are calling it Over Rover...this will be where we look for cool sponsors & help from our friends.

The best part will be when we give it away to some lucky disabled or abled bodied traveler.

Go with a rover tym lift, rear bumper, slider side step,ARB bullbumper, safari snorkel, front trutrac rear Detroit. Drop the sway bars off completley they aren't doing much anyway. rangerovers.net and their forum are the best rr info sites out there. Stay away from discoweb, they wouldn't know a rover if it ran them over. The SWB was a lot more limited in production than the LWB but the short is a more capible truck. Good luck. If you have any questions or need help pm me anytime. I know these trucks inside and out.

Wow that is a ton of great info..
Thanks very much and I will start looking at the parts you mentioned.
The lift needs to happen soon as the setup that is on there now is tweaked a bit and any excuse to upgrade is a good one :)

I don't know the budget for this build but plenty of second hand items floating around on the 'net. I'd ditto the Rovertym suspension products but don't agree on losing the sway bars. It's easy to do quick disconnects on the sway bar ends (parts from Ace hardware) and provides for a better road manner.

Stay away from the OME shock and spring products, they seem to lose their characteristics if the suspension is used heavily after a year or so. RT springs and Bilstein shocks is a great combo for longevity. These rigs have narrow track width and pizza cutters for tires so going with Bilstein shocks with a 400/100 rebound/compression #s(or close to it) will make the ride very nice and controlled. Also Fox shocks would be a good choice given the proper valving.

Max tire size will end up being 235 85 16s w/o re-gearing. The '92 RRC may come with the 23 splines, which is decent for strength but will NOT handle a detroit locker by any stretch. Go with ARBs to make the stock axles last longer; otherwise, fork over serious dough for GBR (great basin rover) axles.

These are very flexy rigs so spring retention is a must! Expedition Exchange has some good ones unless you make your own (I did, very easy).

Stock alternator is horrible, so upgrade to a Delco CAS 130 unit. It's higher amp and an easy conversion to do.

Enjoy the build! Very easy vehicle to work on and the engine is an old Buick design so parts aren't that hard to acquire.

Cheers.

I ran a front Trutrac and a rear Detroit with 285/65R16 on the rocks almost every weekend and never had a lick of trouble from my drivetrain. It's you don't bounce and spin you want break stuff. Don't go with air lockers, they aren't worth all that money unless it's your daily driver in a snowy/icey place. The new Detroits are amazing when it comes to roadmanners.

You don't need sway bars, they didn't even put them on the RRC til 92', and that was only on the luxury models (County). The Classic with the 5in lift I drive is stable at 80mph and safe for emergency handling. It's not a Aston Martin, but it won't kill you either.

As said before, if you want to get bigger tires you need more than the 1.5in lift the Old Man Emu offers. Rovertym offers a 2in, 3in, and 5in (which is sick as hell) lift kits. I hate RoverTym and the owner but they are the only company to offer this and their lifts are good qulity, not OME, but close enough. OME lifts do improve handling and and improve the ride over factory coils, not air ride, just the coils, but don't offer enough lift.

You really need to join the rangerovers.net forum and the main site has in detail any and every repair and mod directions. The guys on the forum will swamp you in free stuff if you tell them what you are doing and you can prove you are a real organization, I don't doubt you are and I will help suport you. All those guys for the most part are more than happy to help people like you anyway they can. Free stuff, money, services, and much more.

I am as of tomorrow going to own my 4th Land Rover, my dad has had 4 and is on his 5th, and my grandfather 2, both Defenders. My uncle is the head tech at LR of Buckhead Their isn't another person out their that can offer you the insight that me and my family can, and across all models, not just the Range Rovers, which is were my heart is, I am bias. lol

Good Luck, and like I said do not use Discoweb, their isn't a single person that you can trust on that site. They are for the most part first time Rover owners that bought the prettiest Discovery the dealer had in stock and think they are experts. rangerovers.net and Land Rovers Only are the only good sites/forums.

As said above. Bilstein or Fox shocks are the way to go. I really like Fox for my mountain bike but don't have expirence with their shocks on Rovers, just GM trucks. The Classic I wheel with the 5in RT lift has Bilstein 7100s, which are killer but expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom