Dilema.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
So the season finally started for me, went out 3 times last week two of which were normal short 1hr lunch time rides (20 minutes of travel on bike out of the hour) and definitely feeling the itch to build a new bike.
Now normally I commute on my 2009 Kona Jake that have done a few upgrades too (newer tape, On-One Midge bars, TRP CX-8.4 brakes with salmon pads) and my commute is only 2.5 miles one way. My normal mountain ride is my 2011 On-One Inbred 29er Steel hardtail that I have done the following too..
- 2011 Manitou Tower Pro 100mm 9QR with FIRM spring upgrade (incredible budget fork)
- Custom built Stans Flows laced to Shimano M529 hubs front/back
- Shimano Centerlock 140mm discs
- Sram BB7 calipers and levers
- RaceFace 70mm stem
- Giant Flatbar 760mm
- Lizardskin Peatty lock-on grips
- Easton Haven post
- Charge Spoon saddle (best saddle for the money I think)
- X9 shifters and Rear Derailleur
- Jagwire teflon cables
- Shimano XT Front derailleur and Crank (3ring modified to 2 with BBG bash)
- Sram 9spd cassette (991 which is the X9 version)
- Running on GEAX Gato 2.3" (f) and GEAX Saguaro 2.2" (r)
So I love this bike but as I get old and ride more technical and rocky terrain I find myself wishing for some rear suspension in there to help the back out. I do get bounced around quite a bit because our terrain is pretty rock with very little plain loose over hard or hardpack trail (unless you are on the fireroads). This is my downhill bomber, xc race machine, and do all bike and does not cease to amaze me and put a smile on my face even at 28ish#.
It looks like I might have the ability to do one of two things this year, either go for a new suspension (thinking 2” OME or HFS) or build up a new bike, basically there is a chance I may have $1500ish to play with for what I want!!!! So should I sell the Jake, convert the Inbred into a commuter/monstercross and build another FS or should I go for the suspension for the BeBe? I can tell you that most of the stuff in my price range, >$2000, is not going to get me a whole lot so I am going to want to switch stuff out right away pretty much but I can probable get away with riding the stock bike for a season.
So far I am looking at (internet only);
- Giant Anthem X3
- Scott Spark 960
- Felt Edict Nine 60
- Salsa Spearfish 4
Remember this will mostly be an xc bike so I don’t need a whole lot of travel, 120mm max, but would like to stay with 100mm. The other option is that I could sell the Jake, leave the Inbred in mtb mode and still use as a commuter and slowly build up the fully like I did with my Inbred over the next 8mo-12mo….

So anyone got recommendations? Being close to Lake Tahoe I have a good number of shops near me so I can try out just about anything. And I got a bad taste in my mouth by Specialized a couple years back so not going that route, not going to give them my money.

I understand your desire to upgrade. Don't do it. It's not about the bike, and yours sounds pretty great in any case.

How "old" are you? I'm 50 and I ride a rigid singlespeed a lot of the time. I have a Titus too, but I like the rigid better.

Ride demos as much as you can during the year and shop the rentals at the end of next season at Northstar and Downieville.

I am 35 this year and have had back problems for a number of years. Loosing weight and getting more exercise has definitely helped but there are days that I feel I could get so much more out of a ride by having a fs just from keeping the a$$-end planted in corners and in techy sections.

I really wish that I could keep both in the quiver as mtb but I know that the boss would not go for that (seeing as she doesnt have two paddleboards...LOL). I am going to price out some new components and see what it would take to do the switch to a 2x10 setup on the Inbred and then sell off the old 2x9 modified stuff.

The other thing I have been looking at too is a dropper post but I have not read good reviews on the few companies that offer them in 27.2.

If you do decide to get a new one, Giant is awesome bang for your buck. Being that they are a big company they can afford to produce a higher end bike for less (bulk production), and their current suspension design works really well.

From those options you listed, I'd focus more on the Felt and the Giant. EDIT: After reading up on the Salsa, I'd say that that one might end up at the top of my list from those.

Dropper posts are NICE... but also super expensive. I demoed a few bikes fitted with them and I immediately jumped off the skeptic boat. :lol: (But for now I'll save that $300 for something else. [I looked into making my own, but lost interest/didn't have machine access at class/work :meh:])

If you want a spearfish 3, this place has some very good prices on last years. The new model has a different rear design with a pivot point at the hub, but the price on the previous version is pretty compelling - enough for me to buy one. Picking it up tomorrow. http://www.universalcycles.com/specials.php?category=483&company=

If I don't like the ride I'll sell the frame and swap the components to an airborne frame, which is another good budget option that's very similar to the Giant design.

Dropper. Less weight. Less parts to break.

dropper.jpg

I need to go ride a longer travel bike to see what the feel is like. While living right next to Lake Tahoe I do a majority of my riding there, there really are only a few spots that demand a full sus bike. Been out on a few more rides and just absolutely love my bike, thing is dialed to me and I know what it does and how it handles (same thing with my vehicles). That there is where the problem lies, for me I would buy a kit bike but then immediately want to change things like the wheels, forks, brakes, etc. and while I can recoup some of the cost if I sell those items off I almost feel like I would rather buy a frame and build it up, but then that become damn expensive (did that with current bike).

Not to mention that I am pissed Manitou went back to the "MINUTE" name for the Tower and completely jacked the prices up (base model is now $500+!!!!). That makes we want to swap over my 100mm fork but then I am possibly losing out on more travel. Really wish I had done like my brother did and just saved up money for specifically this situation to drop on a new frame or whatever!

Sounds like you would be much happier to build from frame up. What's that saying, buy once, cry once?

2.5 mile commute is nothing that warrants a full-on commuter bike, in my opinion. So I would sell the Jake, have the Inbred pull double-duty, and start building up the FS. I like the SC Tallboy, Pivot 429 and Niner Jet. I believe you can buy them as a frame-only. In the meantime, try out a Cane Creek Thudbuster. Actually worked well for me on my last bike.

Oh yeah if I end up building I will definitely build from used/new parts. May try my hand at building wheels too.

Went for an 18 mile ride on Friday with some friends on a trail I haven't tried before and while the trail was fun it definitely beat my back up. So seriously making me think of a fs.

Original reason for the Jake was I was doing a 12+ mile commute at one point do it was definitely needed. Just wondering if I will actually get a decent amount for it, then again I only paid $500 and that was 3yrs ago.

Here is the ride I am talking about above. There were two sections that were a few hundred yards a piece with nasty, 2+" deep DG (decomposed granite) and then most of the trail had been ridden in such a way that there were no "smooth" sections, so lots of trail chatter which then lead to why my back still is sore today (along with the sit bones). I know that some of the pain will stop simply from getting out more and riding (got to get rid of that holiday weight) but I am also thinking that for my area I may get a lot more out of a FS. I don't know, I am still very much up in the air about it and being an analyst by nature/profession I like to hit all angles before I jump in (normally).

http://www.strava.com/activities/131610581/embed/5fc04f77d82b1989e771196809663c2e1d2b6b58'

Well no longer is this a dilema.... Ended up selling my Kona Jake to a young girl that is a rider but planning on doing some touring for it. So the bike went home with its new owner last night and I had a wad of cash for it.

Worked a deal and ended up getting a 29er FS frame only!!!! The new build starts!!!
Ended up getting a Hammerhead Thumper (now known as the Switchback bikes 130x), more all mountain that I am used to but will setup nicely for what I want to do and hopefully save my back. Gonna be a bit building it up as I will definitely need new wheels and my Inbred will be relegated to commuter AND mtb duty!

Well no longer is this a dilema.... Ended up selling my Kona Jake to a young girl that is a rider but planning on doing some touring for it. So the bike went home with its new owner last night and I had a wad of cash for it.

Worked a deal and ended up getting a 29er FS frame only!!!! The new build starts!!!
Ended up getting a Hammerhead Thumper (now known as the Switchback bikes 130x), more all mountain that I am used to but will setup nicely for what I want to do and hopefully save my back. Gonna be a bit building it up as I will definitely need new wheels and my Inbred will be relegated to commuter AND mtb duty!
Don't buy NEW components, unless is from a famous shop in Europe.

Note: I'm a NINE speed guy by choice (8 n a few because I have too, ten on about 6 because STI drop bars shifters work way better), the more gears you get on a single cog the narrower the sprockets and chain gets and that results in excessive gear, inacurate shifting, more critical setting of the derailleur hanger, besides front derailleurs are the test of a good mechanic

Also personally i'm shimano man, XT brakes and shifter are just insane, flawless ergonomics, great performance.

Tahoe, or Tahoe people are like me or they have a lot of money and then can not be bother selling "Last year parts" just ask around your friends..

Weight, rotating mass is key, focus on strong well built wheels (Building wheels is total ZEn, learn and build as many as you can, such a wonderful way to zone out and relax) big difference in the way bikes feels and performs..

Sound like you know how to ride, so don't forget that the body is also a suspension and then take advantage of the bike suspension..

LOL at resurrecting a 2yr old thread!

Guess an update is in order. New bike was finished and started riding in June of 2014. I had put over 1k miles on the bike before the fork blew out in May of this year (2011 RS Revelation Dual Air that would not hold pressure any longer). Ended up buying a SR Suntour Auron LO-RC that was fantastic until I decided to take a corner too fast in July. Back tire slide out from under me and the right foot did not unclip in time to dab the corner, instead the heal caught on the trail while I was still clipped in, rotated and then folded under me vaulting me over the bike and down the trail embankment. Almost 3 months later and I am now able to walk, with an ankle brace, after surgery for a complete blown ankle (complete syndesmotic disruption) and dual spiral fracture to the fibula. Doc says I will be out of the brace by mid-November but is only clearing me for trainer/stationary bike riding with ONLY Range of Motion (ROM) pedaling until then.

So needless to say, the bike got VERY little use this year. Oh well, broken bones come back stronger right?!

LOL at resurrecting a 2yr old thread!

Guess an update is in order. New bike was finished and started riding in June of 2014. I had put over 1k miles on the bike before the fork blew out in May of this year (2011 RS Revelation Dual Air that would not hold pressure any longer). Ended up buying a SR Suntour Auron LO-RC that was fantastic until I decided to take a corner too fast in July. Back tire slide out from under me and the right foot did not unclip in time to dab the corner, instead the heal caught on the trail while I was still clipped in, rotated and then folded under me vaulting me over the bike and down the trail embankment. Almost 3 months later and I am now able to walk, with an ankle brace, after surgery for a complete blown ankle (complete syndesmotic disruption) and dual spiral fracture to the fibula. Doc says I will be out of the brace by mid-November but is only clearing me for trainer/stationary bike riding with ONLY Range of Motion (ROM) pedaling until then.

So needless to say, the bike got VERY little use this year. Oh well, broken bones come back stronger right?!
At One point Suntour (1988-1992) specifically the SUNTOUR XC-pro gruppo was at the core of the Sun, Thanks to the collaboration with the founders of WTB... (I still have about 30 pieces, grease guards Hubs & Headsets, the masterful seatpost, the front derailleurs are legendary, maybe the best ever..

But today Please, just touching a currently made suntour parts will infect you..

Get better soon, still at least you will be able to ride again..

Yeah a lot can be said for many companies. The same could be said for Manitou prior to HAYES purchasing them, then things turned around and they are better than they ever were. The Auron has been a great fork and for the cost, $450 shipped to my door, you can't really beat the price to performance. Doubt I will ever do FOX or RS even if they were given to me, just don't like their customer service and image... they are those companies that have gotten a bit to big for their britches and treat many of their customers like they are assholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom