Difflock Problem form the UK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can you help??

I am having problems getting the rear difflock to work on my 1993 Landcruiser 4.2.

I have replaced the switch on the diff which had very badly corroded terminals. I have also replaced the plug joining the wiring harness to the motor.
I have had the multimeter out.

The only voltage is to the switch. When shorted out the light on the dash then shows its engaged.

There are 5 wires to the motor - no voltage at all to any of them.

I have replaced the plug to the loom, and another plug to the loom at the rear of the vehicle. No voltage there either.

There appears to be a black box of tricks (larger than a cigarette box) in the left hand front footwell. This will click when the centre diff is engaged and either the front or rear diff is switched on/off from the round knob on the dash.

Can any body help??

Frank,

Good morning and welcome to the forum.
there is also a diff lock control unit in the RH kick panel that controls the front and rear locks. Does the front diff lock?
 If the front diff locks the ECU is probably OK and you will need to start chasing wires. Have you tried to apply outside power to the actuator to see if it locks?
 Tell us a bit more.
 Cheers, Dan :beer:

Hi Frank

Nice to see someone else in this forum from the UK. Sorry, I can't help, but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas.

Cheers, Jim :beer:

Dan

Front & Centre Diff work fine.

Do you know what wire do what on the motor so I can test it?

Normally is there a signal sent back to the control box before it get powered up?

Thanks

Frank

Jim

Good to hear from you too.

There is a sad lack of Land Criuser support in the UK.

regards

Frank

Frank

There is no Landcruiser support in the UK. You'll find an abundance of it here though. Having said that, you won't find much knowledge about your diesel - but maybe some envy.

Cheers, Jim

Frank,
The diff lock motor has a five wire plug. The green and the green with blue tracer wires are the motor power leads. The green with yellow tracer and the green with black tracer wires are for the limit switch within the motor. The white with black tracer is the limit switch ground(earth) wire.
If you apply momentary voltage to the green and the green/blue wires the motor should move in one direction(unless it's at full travel in that direction). reversing polarity of the wires should move the motor in the other direction.

Gotta go for now, I'll be back :beer:

Frank,

>> If you apply momentary voltage ... <<

I have heard that a 9v battery supplies enough voltage to cycle the diff lock engaging motor.
-B-

Dan & B

Thanks guys for your help.

No the motor did not work when I applied a voltage to it.

So I took it out ( what a bast......) I had to chisle all the bolts loose.

The motor & the mechanism were totally full of sh.t! and seised solid.

I have cleaned it out, lubed it up, and reglued the magnets in the motor.

Out of the vechicle it seems to work fine. I think I've got the timing about right on the limit cut off wires on the mechanisim.

However before fully reassembling it into the vehicle, I thought I'd check the loom voltage again.

With centre diff engaged, ignition on (motor not running) and rotary switch on. I get no voltage to the motor wires. I tried earthing various combinations of limit switch wires to fool the ECU.

Front diff locks fine!

Any ideas ???

If I get it sorted I think I'll try Dan's secret "low Ratio No centre lock mod". The Tansmission Relay for those of us with the sterring wheel on the "correct side" is in under the trim in the right of the drivers footwell.

Frank,

Glad you cleared that up as our steering wheels are on the Left or "right" side of the vehicle as opposed to yours which are on the Right or "wrong" side................ ::)

Testing the harness is goofy. The easiest thing to do is plug the motor in before you reinstall it and try the switch.

Oh, some secret, everybody's a doin' it now. :ugh:

Dan & B

Thanks again guys - It WORKS !!!!!!

B the article pointed me at descibed excactly the mess my system was in.

Its worth the time and effort because a new one is £500 (stirling)!!

I cut pin 7 on the centre difflock relay - that works fine too.

One point - in the UK the pin 7 wire is Blue with a silver/grey dot.

Many thanks again

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom