Diff Lock Indicator flashing when truck started and while driving (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2015 LX does this and I don’t think there’s much you can do about it from what I’ve read it’s weird it’ll do it a couple times and it won’t go on for a month or so one thing that’s consistent after I started driving out of my parking garage if I want to turn it off and turn it back on goes away if I want to wait till I get to the gym work out come out it goes away so I really don’t want to dealer to mess with it I was going to take it out in a grassy area throw it into four low because some have said it if you exercise it they won’t do it anymore based on your post and the fact you do it a couple times a month I guess that’s not true either

My thought on this is that some people probably have more build up of gunk or hardened grease and might take more than a few exercises of the diff. I'm sure there are some that will never be solved with this, but I would imagine that it takes some time to break everything up.

On our old 570 it was over 4 months without the flash before we sold it for the 200 and the new owner has had it for 3 months now and we still stay in contact and there has been no report of issues.

I'm a believer that the diffs need actuated. On my 80, I lock and unlock the 3 differentials on dirt every oil change interval if I've not used them. Its part of my basic maintenance routine.

Cheers,

J

Do you think changing the def fluid and transfer case would help?

I'm not sure it would help but it can't hurt.

All 3 are changed on mine every 2 years in the 80 so I consider that expected PM. The 200 will get it done as well.

I haven't done a R&R on a center diff actuat
or but the front and rear on an 80 have what appears to be a white grease on the gear sets. This I believe will harden over the years if it's never exercised.

I'd really like to see someone who has the blink remove the center actuator and see what it looks like.

Best,

John

My 2013 LC is doing the same thing. Three days ago while leaving work (temp 50's) the center diff light started flashing. Stopped the vehicle and turn ignition off then restarted - the flashing CDL light disappeared. Placed transmission in N and placed in 4L and all systems normal. This morning left work and CDL light on again - tried previous steps and light will not go off. The green light on the 4L will not illuminate - depressing the CDL button located left of the steering wheel does nothing.

Have not had in 4L for a couple months - plan to take to dealer in morning.... hope to figure this out

This morning I started the truck (2013) and had the flashing center diff light flashing. Nothing worked to shut it off. I tried switching into 4low and nothing happened . No dash light.

I drove around the cul de sac and there was no binding in the steering. I have an extended warranty so I made an appointment with the dealer for Monday.

I don't believe the PO ever used the four wheel drive.

Sucks. Leaving on a trip in two weeks . Camino del Diablo.

For a couple of months I was hearing a clicking noise when I would start up and back down the driveway (it became more pronounced on the slope). Took it to dealer and they could not duplicate. I was worried it could be timing chain tensioners, etc. A couple of weeks ago the center diff light was flashing on cold start ups. Once the engine was warm and I would restart lights stopped flashing. Got on mud and read some fixes. Hadn't put this LC in 4Lo before. Took it up to the top of Turkey Mountain to a gravel parking lot. Drove around in 4Lo for about ten minutes, then pushed in the locking diff button, drove around for another ten minutes making lots of turns etc.. It has solved all of the problems. THANK YOU MUD!

Last edited:

Took mine to Lexus told them the problem. Tech came out said I can fix it no problem. Got in pushed the button put it in drive then in reverse while he kept pushing the button. After about 10 times going forward and back it was fixed. That was 15k miles ago have not had the problem since. The Tech said if they are not worked they freeze up.

Took mine to Lexus told them the problem. Tech came out said I can fix it no problem. Got in pushed the button put it in drive then in reverse while he kept pushing the button. After about 10 times going forward and back it was fixed. That was 15k miles ago have not had the problem since. The Tech said if they are not worked they freeze up.
Interesting...when you say the tech "Got in pushed the button put it in drive then in reverse while he kept pushing the button" do you mean he/she pressed it and kept it pressed in or did press/release each time changed direction (if that makes sense).

I tried all the tricks but no joy. The truck is off to the dealer this morning.
Had you ever changed the transfer case fluid? If so what did you put in it?

Had you ever changed the transfer case fluid? If so what did you put in it?

I just got the truck in July with 100K . I do know the truck has been dealer maintained and I only see the trans fluid change at 88K.

How would changing the T-Case fluid impact the solenoids ? Something I should have the dealer do since the truck is there?

Last edited:
I just got the truck in July with 100K . I do know the truck has been dealer maintained and I only see the trans fluid change at 88K.

How would changing the T-Case fluid impact the solenoids ? Something I should have the dealer do since the truck is there?

There is speculation and some evidence that replacing the stock 75w fluid with the very common (and much cheaper) 75w-90 can prevent proper tcase shifting. I was just looking for a data point.

Anecdotally changing the transfer case fluid with fresh 75W Ravenol seems to have helped for me.

There is speculation and some evidence that replacing the stock 75w fluid with the very common (and much cheaper) 75w-90 can prevent proper tcase shifting. I was just looking for a data point.
Didn’t work for me

I bought my 2013 at 49k. Light flashing happened somewhere between 55k and 60k. Pretty sure it had the factory 75W LF in it

Changed to 75W-90 around 60k miles. Occasional flashing persisted. Happened much more often when temps were in the 40s. Warming the truck up by driving for 10 minutes or so while the CDL light flashed, then turning the truck off and back on would clear the issue. CDL would then re-engage. But the issue would. One back in a few weeks to a couple months

Switched to 75W Ravenol at 90k. CDL flashing has not reappeared. I just broke 100k miles 2 weeks ago. Temps have been optimal for the issue to reoccur. I engaged the CDL for the first time since the LCDC (which was 5-6k miles ago) and it engaged without issue - though the truck was warm

I think fresh fluid may help more than 75W-90 specifically. Anecdotally I’m having more luck with the Ravenol but who the hell knows if that’s the “fix” or what.

Crazy timing! My CDL won't engage when I select it. I don't have any issues with it flashing at startup, only when I depress the button. It will do everything discussed, flashing forever and then stop, won't go into 4lo, and so on. I've got an appointment with the shop this Friday, so we'll see.

I've checked the battery.....good...
I've gone in reverse and drive many times...nothing
I've looked at fuses...all good

Great to know. I called the dealership and have them change out the T-case fluid and the diff oil since none of that has been done before.

Great to know. I called the dealership and have them change out the T-case fluid and the diff oil since none of that has been done before.

I would ask if they are going to use the 75 w toyota transfer case oil. The part number is 08885-81080 .

there are four lexus dealerships and none of them use it. I called a couple of Toyota Dealerships and they didn't use it either. All of them used a 75-90 differential fluid.

And FYI the real stuff is very very expensive. About $80liter. And you need 1.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom