Diesel Fuel Theft Cut-Off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2019 LC VDJ78 and unfortunately I don't have a place at my home to park it. I rented a parking space about a five minute walk away, but it's out of my line of sight.

I'm worried that someone may try to steal it and so I'm thinking of ways to combat that.

One would be a steering wheel lock and the other would be a fuel cut-off.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to install a fuel cut-off switch and maybe even a brand?

A quick fix is to install a ball valve before the primer. Yes you'll have to open the hood, but how can you resist looking.

I was thinking about some type of valve or electrical switch that I could access from inside the cab. Maybe between the seats. My truck is parked among other cars so I would like to be as discreet as possible.

Fairly easy to wire up a switch between the right fuse. That's what has been done on my 75. Similar to what has been done here:

Thanks for the video. I actually saw it a while back, but I'm not an electrician and since my truck is brand new I don't have any idea where to install such a switch. I can't even find a workshop manual for my truck.

How hard are they steal? I thought all the newer 78/79 series used a transponder key to signal the computer. If the fuel pump doesnt get told by the computer to start pumping fuel , it wont go. Its not like the old 1HZ etc.
I would add a one of those vehicle locator beacons you can trace on your phone.
Wheel locks are another proven device. They can be cut or the vehicle towed, but its just more complication for crooks.

I didnt think car theft was a big deal in Japan and getting rid of a rare vehicle wont be easy

Apparently it is a problem. I just stumbled upon a website in Japanese that listed the Land Cruiser of one of the most stolen vehicles in Japan. How and why I don't know. But I do know that just down the street one of the newer versions was stolen, so the guy ended up putting a steering lock in the replacement. I only know this because my wife told me. I do have the transponder in mine but if a thief can steel one of the newer versions, my truck would be an even easier target. My truck is also surrounded by old buildings and trees so I think that it's an easy target. I tried to find a better place to park, but it's not easy in such a congested area like the area around Tokyo. My wife asks me to check on it daily, just to make herself at ease.

I was also thinking of a GPS tracker, but have not been able to find one that is reasonably priced or able to work overseas. A tire lock is another option, but having to put it on and off frequently would be a problem. I was also thinking about a clutch pedal lock. But without someone having done the same, I don't know what would work. I know that vehicle theft in the UK is a real problem and have done some searching on UK websites.

A buddy of mine installed a motorcycle fuel tank petcock under the drivers seat. When in a sketchy area he just reached down and flipped it to off. It would start and run, but only about a block or so. The same guy ran his ignition switch into a crappy fake graphic equalizer. The bass had to be slid to zero to make contact.

That's not a bad idea, but it would require drilling holes into the bottom of a new truck. I've already put one large hole for the electrical.

Factory 7X Series immobilizer is installed on the fuel cut relay in the dash. Simple switch would do the trick.

I didn't know that. I will see if I can locate it.

Tried to locate it, but have no idea where it might be located. I even check the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay and could not find anything related.
Can you point me in the right direction, i.e., under the driver's side, passenger's side, etc.?

Last edited:
I didn't know that. I will see if I can locate it.

Tried to locate it, but have no idea where it might be located. I even check the fuses under the dash and in the engine bay and could not find anything related.
Can you point me in the right direction, i.e., under the driver's side, passenger's side, etc.?
1583971149390.png

P.S. For AUS market cars

You can get remote shut off valves for fuel lines. The problem is your fuel pump and injector lines will still have fuel in them and may let the engine run long enough for them to get it out of sight where they have time to look it over.
I would be looking at other ways of using the computer to keep the fuel system off. The other ones that got stolen was probably the thieves learnt how to copy the responder code.

And maybe use a fuel shut down as a back up.

The fuel cutoff is the backup. I also have a lock for my clutch, but it is troublesome to say the least. I’m trying to figure out a way to build a console between the seats and somehow integrate a locking pin when the gear-shift is put into reverse. I found a pin, but it’s not quite long enough. At least that I would be able to sit and unlock it rather than having to deal with the weather from outside and removing the lock on the clutch.

This is a recent photo after I Raptor-Lined the dash. It came out better than expected. I just finished the front doors yesterday. I still need to make some speaker pods; that’s the reason for the holes. I’m planning to replace the seats, steering wheel and get a better head unit.

1584015874000.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom