Diesel fuel filter change…excessive smoke and hi idle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I didn’t go into this as blindly as it sounds but. After changing the plastic in-line fuel filter on this Toyota 14B, I went back to the firewall mounted spin on fuel filter. Filled it with diesel fuel and screwed it in place. Since then… idle is very high, simmers down after 30 seconds or so then speeds up again and it smokes like a cloud from an old city bus…

since I don’t believe I accidentally turned or twisted any adjusted parts but only added the filter…this has happened …prior to trying to improve it….it started and ran like any other vehicle.

any suggestions?

IMG_9697.jpeg
IMG_9689.jpeg

sounds like you're taking in air.

check your hose connections or even the sealing ring on the filter.

run a clear hose temporarily to see if you can find out where the air is seeping in from you should beable to see air bubbles. it could also be your hand prime.

Agree with above, particularly if smoke is white, and stinks strongly of diesel.

The diaphragm in the hand primer pumps are notorious for perishing and failing. Pretty sure it's a non serviceable item. Replace the assembly.

The only serviceable item on the prime is the O-rings when you pull off the pipes. The o-rings can shrink over time and cause air leaks
C9F7EECA-9400-4EE7-885A-0D0B70778DA9.jpeg

Well, thank all of you for likely nailing this directly…. The housing for the filter had been bypassed. I cleaned it up and was hoping it was intact and leak free.

based on everything you have all said….it’s not. I will let you know that this has been the solution. By the way, the white smoke is choking…. Reminds me of the mosquito sprayers when I was a kid in Miami in 1960.

@mudgudgeon @veiloctane …sorry to ask a dumb question…so here goes

which of the ports on this housing is attached to the injection pump? Is the the port still attached to the housing in your photo? Subsequently, the one that is removed goes to the fuel supply?
IMG_2298.jpeg

which of the ports on this housing is attached to the injection pump? Is the the port still attached to the housing in your photo? Subsequently, the one that is removed goes to the fuel supply?
View attachment 3318143
If I had to guess, I'd say opposite to what you have labelled.
That's based on how they are installed in hdj80 hzj105. I think they are all essentially the same configuration, but not certain.

@mudgudgeon thanks Again…..👍

looks like I am going to need to move closer to you…pretty certain this is not my last question. By the way, Partsouq has this and I did order one

View attachment 3318143
Easy way to find out is to pull the hoses. Push the prime and see where fluid is coming out of

Easy way to find out is to pull the hoses. Push the prime and see where fluid is coming out of
Well then..I did this and it is the one labeled in green for the injection pump…so I still take a guess that this goes to the injection pump? The only thing I currently know about diesel is how to fill the fuel tank !

No shame in limited knowledge this is how you learn. I would pull one hose and pump the prime. If fluid comes out then that’s the hose that goes to injection pump.

Oh one more tip the factory toyota spring clamps are superior to worm clamps.

Well, you're in the right place.
There's plenty of knowledge and help available here in the diesel tech section 👍
I have discovered this within the first day that I was here in the Diesel Tech section. And….I do thank everyone for sharing

@veiloctane just got done reading your 3 pages of transmission rebuild… congratulations. That had to be a monster job and then in the middle…move 12,000 miles away!

@veiloctane just got done reading your 3 pages of transmission rebuild… congratulations. That had to be a monster job and then in the middle…move 12,000 miles away!

Yes thank you gone for 4 years back now enjoying my cruiser. it's just proof that if you have the willingness to learn and can understand an FSM and have the right tools

anyone can do it too

. also, guidance and quality parts from Wholesale Automatics have been great in sending me a modified clutch pack for my rebuild!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom