Did A Little Cap Repair Last Night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last night I focused on the actual fiberglass. The cap edges where the metal is riveted on need a little care, but that will come this evening.

IMG_4578.jpg

I started with sealing off the small gap between the front under lip of the cap and the metal band running across the front. The guy at SOR told me to caulk this area, but I thought sealing it for good would be the best thing

IMG_4576.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

I had some pitting along some of the "seams" in the cap, so I cleaned them out, careful not to make them any deeper and also sealed them off

IMG_4557.jpg

The top rear support box was rusted out on both ends... not really sure how I'm going to fix this one, but I'm cleaning it up anyways, this is after I sprayed "Metal Ready" on it

What I used for the fiberglass repair is a epoxy mixture I use for fixing my kayak and canoe. The material is a thin sheet of Kevlar cut into strips or patches, the stuff works wonders.

I repaired several holes and small rust areas on the bottom of the tub using the same method and then covered over the hardened area with Hurculiner, you can't even tell it had been repaired; and when that stuff hardens, it just as strong as the steel.

Back hatch header Dont repair It, replace it with a good used one you can post up what u need in the wanted section. good luck

Where did you source your repair materials from? Sounds like strong stuff and I have a cap repair project coming up soon.

You can buy the epoxy, hardener and Kevlar from NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Center), in N.C.

Epoxy Resin
Epoxy Hardener
Kevlar Sheeting (they use to sell this by the foot, so you might want to ask)

The Resin and Hardener come with top pumps that put the right amount of each component with each pump, so make sure you "comfirm" the pumps are coming with them.

All you have to do then is mix 1-1 ratios of each component, spread it around with a cheap brush, then lay on your "pre-cut" strip/patch of kevlar and gently presh it down and shape it, then let it get tacky and spread over some more resin to seal the top part of the kevlar patch.

Try to make the cuts as straight and "fray-less" as possible, becasue if the kevlar dries with "hairs" sticking up they are like metal neddles at that point, lol

(use sharp scissors to cut the kevlar and go slow)

This stuff works wonders, and it a great for all sorts of repairs, just make sure you store the epoxy and hardener in a cool dry place and it will last for several years.

As mentioned before we used it to cover several holes in the bottom of our tub as well as the rusted out gas tank pan, those areas are as good as new now.

You can also use this stuff (without the kevlar) like a bond agent. I used a bit of it in the rear of the tub to fill in the areas that had some pitting. i then sanded it, to roughen it up and painted right over it. (it's best to only do this on an area that you can "level" as this stuff will follow gravitiy until it's tacky, so if it's an area that it vertical... let it set up a little before appying it, and make sure to wipe up any excess... Acetone works good as long as the resin is wet... once it hardens up.... your using a grinder, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom