Diagnosing rear end squeak, with video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got the rest of the rig in a good enough place to start trying to track down this annoying squeak.

I don’t hear anything when standing on the hitch and rocking the truck nor when standing on the running boards and rocking it from the roof rails. I thought maybe it was the spare tire assesmbly, but after taking video seems more like when the rear axle flex.

Any one got any idea where to check or look? All my bushings seem to be in okay shape.

Finally got the rest of the rig in a good enough place to start trying to track down this annoying squeak.

I don’t hear anything when standing on the hitch and rocking the truck nor when standing on the running boards and rocking it from the roof rails. I thought maybe it was the spare tire assesmbly, but after taking video seems more like when the rear axle flex.

Any one got any idea where to check or look? All my bushings seem to be in okay shape.
Pull the ebrake up slightly and see if it changes. That high pitched mouse squeak when hitting bumps is usually ebrake related especially when you can't recreate the noise when jumping on the bumper. Since you said your bushings check out the other possible suspect is loose top nut on the shock but you would probably hear that when jumping on the bumper.

Should drop that spare tire out of the way anyway to help eliminate that from the possible suspects. It does seem to have a little wiggle.

Pull the ebrake up slightly and see if it changes. That high pitched mouse squeak when hitting bumps is usually ebrake related especially when you can't recreate the noise when jumping on the bumper. Since you said your bushings check out the other possible suspect is loose top nut on the shock but you would probably hear that when jumping on the bumper.

Should drop that spare tire out of the way anyway to help eliminate that from the possible suspects. It does seem to have a little wiggle.
Ha! - Well good news, bad news situation. Good news is, it was my ebrake. Bad news is, I sheared the rear cable that runs across the axle in half from rust. At least its quiet now

=] good And bad for sure . Is it worth fixing ?

I have the exact same squeak! The video was perfect. I never use my ebrake, and the mechanisms behind the rotor are petty corroded.. did you find any ebrake rebuild threads on the forum? I did some searching with no luck.

I have the exact same squeak! The video was perfect. I never use my ebrake, and the mechanisms behind the rotor are petty corroded.. did you find any ebrake rebuild threads on the forum? I did some searching with no luck.
Haven't seen a rebuild thread, but check this out, may help

That is super helpful.. I am afraid mine are frozen, but open.. does the squeaking come from a cable that is too loose? What did you adjust to remove the squeak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom