1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DFW Soda Blasting?

Discussion in 'TX- Lone Star Land Cruisers' started by forksinthetrail, Jan 12, 2018.

1. forksinthetrail

forksinthetrail Frequent Lurker SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have been calling around for soda blasting in DFW and hitting dead ends. I can't believe there is not someone doing it reliably in DFW -- does anyone here have some experience with someone?

2. forksinthetrail

forksinthetrail Frequent Lurker SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  3. NMC_EXP

NMC_EXP

Media:
    Albums:
    Anyone looking for a clean version of blasting might want to check for dry ice blasting services. Instead of sand or soda it uses small dry ice chips. Reportedly first developed to strip aircraft paint from aluminum without damaging the Al skin. The little CO2 hailstones are soft, it works by thermally shocking the surface layer and fracturing it.

We had a contractor provide a demo in our factory. Considered it for cleaning rubber molds. A layer of hard crud builds up on the steel mold. Have to pull the mold, let it cool then buff away with scotchbrite. The CO2 blaster took the crud off instantly.

We had a big industrial steel workbench sitting there. It had several coats of oil based enamel paint on it. The CO2 blaster demo guy could remove one layer of paint off the bench at a time. The next layer down retained its gloss.

Might be just the ticket for blasting vehicle interiors.....etc. The only residue left behind is the paint or whatever else you removed. The dry ice simply evaporates and is gone.

4. 1911

1911 chupacabra

Media:
    Albums:
    There used to be a soda blaster in Hurst, but I haven't been there in 13-14 years and he might be gone by now. He was on Hwy 10. I might still have his business card, but all my business cards are packed away somewhere due to my latest move.

5. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi, I've hit the same dead ends. I had a guy lined up for the club to do a group blast awhile back ,there was no interest from anyone other than me. I think they have mostly gone out of business. Mike

6. Paydday

Paydday

I have interest too. I was thinking restoration shops might be the best bet, but I would like to see the results from A-Z. Maybe we could get a group service discount.

7. toyofan

toyofan

not exactly soda blasting, but have been looking at these dustless systems. Have not used them or have any reference, but sounds very appealing

Advanced Dustless Blasting

8. Billsboat

Billsboat SILVER Star

Just had mine sandblasted. I’m very happy with both the quality and price. Let me know if u r still looking.

9. Paydday

Paydday

Hey Bill,

Can I get some details? Do you have any before and after pics? How long was the cruiser at the shop?

Thanks,
    Clay

10. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi, Reading about the dry ice blasting and it seems the best way to remove paint etc.. ESP. Not having to deal with all the water and surface prep. Mike

11. Paydday

Paydday

Or if someone in DFW did this:

12. Billsboat

Billsboat SILVER Star

Hi Clay
    hi Clay, the turn around time for the guys I used was about two weeks. Depending on their work load it could be more or less. They were great to work with, and the owner understands old cars. He’s working on one of his own. On my first visit he had a old vw bug (just the shell) that he had just finished blasting and priming. I’m not sure of his willingness or skills to dismantle the vehicle to blast / prime. For me I had already taken everything apart and brought it to him in pieces. I’m doing a frame off, and am currently working on the tub, getting it ready for paint. That is to say, it is still in pieces. I’m happy to send pictures of the frame (he blasted and powder coated that too!), fenders, etc if u like

Bill

13. Paydday

Paydday

Bill,

If you want to post some pics that would be great!

Thanks

14. Paydday

Paydday

@Billsboat

Also, where did you have it done at?
    Thanks