Decent welder brands? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40charles said:
Have you compared other Hobart and Miller welders? Some of the Hobart welder use aluminum wires in the transformers. Some features may be the same, but duty cycle, internals, and accessories may not be the same.

Lets compare Hobart Ironman 210 with Millermatic 210.

Ironman 210: 150 amps at 40% duty cycle, 10 foot M10 mig gun
Millermatic 210: 160 amps at 60% duty cycle, 12 foot M25 mig gun

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_210/

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/IronMan210.html
Huh, I agree that's a substantial difference, thanks for contrasting those, I had not looked at those models...another example of frustration about the actual power of welders and their model number...I hate that...if a welder puts out 130 amps (like all the 175/180 welders do), then shouldn't it HAVE to be sold as a 130amp welder? Not a "175 amp" or "180 amp" welder...and the example you showed...shouldn't that be a 160amp welder, not sold as a 210? Argh...

:cheers:

mabrodis said:
Huh, I agree that's a substantial difference, thanks for contrasting those, I had not looked at those models...another example of frustration about the actual power of welders and their model number...I hate that...if a welder puts out 130 amps (like all the 175/180 welders do), then shouldn't it HAVE to be sold as a 130amp welder? Not a "175 amp" or "180 amp" welder...and the example you showed...shouldn't that be a 160amp welder, not sold as a 210? Argh...

I don't know if other models have differences since I didn't look at them.

The model numbers are just for marketing these days.....

For example... Millermatic 200 put out 200 amps at 60% duty cycle, but was capable of putting out over 250amps at 35% duty cycle... You now have to buy a Millermatic 251 or Vintage to get the same power level as the Millermatic 200.

My friend has an old Miller 35S. This welder is rated for 150 amps at 60 duty cycle. This thing is about 25 years old and still works.

I have a Millermatic 210, I have yet to weld anything above 4th tap setting
(7 settings) so I don't think the 60% duty cycle at 160 amps will be an issue. It will do 210 amp at 30% duty cycle.

If you want a 100% duty cycle welder at max rated output, then you really need to step up to a 3 phase 460v model...

You really have too looks at the specs.. Model numbers don't mean much.

OK. Quit arguing about Miller, Hobart and Lincoln and get an ESAB.

Made in South Carolina.

mabrodis said:

It's not as frustrating as all of that. For the most part welders WILL output as their model number indicates but not for long. The manufacturers aren't making false claims really, they're just making the customer dig out the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. :)

I've got a Millermatic 210 too, bought just when the 251 came out. I might have bought a 251 except that there were reports of failing digital readouts at first and I like reliable tools. The 210 has proven to be a great welder.

I'd REALLY like to get a Miller 350P but I'm on household 200 amp supply and that welder draws as much s 69 amps! That'd make the lights dim around here for sure :)

Pin_Head said:
OK. Quit arguing about Miller, Hobart and Lincoln and get an ESAB.

Made in South Carolina.

I hear good things about ESAB Migmaster 250, but some complain about the wire feed not being as good as Miller. They say the arc is very soft and many compare the arc characteristics to the Millermatic 200.

What does ESAB stand for?

fj40charles said:
What does ESAB stand for?

Don't know. They are a Swedish company that bought out the Linde / L-Tec / Heliarc welder line from Union Carbide in '97. Their large MIG and TIG welders are still made in the US. I have a Linde Heliarc and it is a good welder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom