Death valley over landing trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone , this trip is now less than a month away . The club site , SoCal TLCA | Southern California Toyota Land Cruiser Enthusiasts has specific details . The dates are 10/16,10/17,10/18 . We will be meeting in Baker CA @930 am friday 10/16 , fuel up , & any last minute provisions . Leaving by 10am north on hwy 127 . As of now , Iam the lead contact for this trip . The weather by then will be comfortable day & night . Hopefully by then the current forest fire conditions (smoke) will improve . There is no fire in DVNP !! Any stock rig can make the trip , this is an over landing trip . We will be moving (camp sites) everyday , Plan accordingly . The trip is 3 days , 2 nights , with lots of interesting sites to explore . I will post another update on or about 10/5 . Hope to see you on the trail !!
Marc Mason

Marc, I am planning to make this run...

Here is the itinerary from the website:

10/16: Meet at 9:30 A.M. at the Chevron gas station in Baker, CA (72083 Baker Blvd). Everyone should fill up their gas tank and water containers in Baker. This is the last location for fueling, ice, and any other provisions before we head into the backcountry. There will be no fueling opportunities until Sunday afternoon when we get back on the highway heading for Trona in the Panamint Valley. We will have a driver’s meeting and leave no later than 10:00 A.M. heading north on Highway 127 towards Death Valley. Turn (west) on Harry Wade Road (dirt road). We will visit a historic cabin and also Warm Springs Ranch (abandoned) as we travel towards our 1st night of camping at the “Geologist Cabin” or another cabin nearby in Butte Valley.

10/17: At 9:00 A.M. or earlier we will begin the next leg (west) towards scenic Goler Wash Canyon, descending gradually. We will take a short trip to historic “Barker Ranch” made famous by the Manson gang. We will continue down Goler Wash to Panamint valley. We will exit the canyon and head (north) on Wingate Road towards Ballarat historic ghost town. We will continue north of the Ballarat area (time permitting, group discussion ) to “Jail Canyon ” trail. This is a nice intermediate trail (4wd low), that will take us to an excellent old mining camp for exploring. We may camp here (based on a group discussion & time of day) but the preferred camping site is Minietta Cabin (on BLM land), about 1 hour from the Jail Canyon site.

10/18: At ~9:00 A.M we will pack up camp for the trip south to Trona, Ridgecrest, and home via US 395.

Note that after Baker there will be NO fuel until the Panamint Valley area. The nearest fuel will be in Panamint Springs on Highway 190 in Death Valley. We recommend at least 5-10 gallons of extra fuel, plus adequate water!!! Weather should be mild in the evenings and low 80’s during the daytime.

We look forward to seeing you on the trails so start planning!!! All are welcome for this trip. Please RSVP to Marc Mason (marc.mason77@yahoo.com) or on IH8MUD.

I'm in for this excursion!

Hey Marc,

Sorry I wasnt able to make the last club meet, but I've been looking forward to this trip for some time! You can count me in! My friend Evan with the 4runner will be coming along too. I'll see you guys out there!

-Brandon

Hey Marc,

Sorry I wasnt able to make the last club meet, but I've been looking forward to this trip for some time! You can count me in! My friend Evan with the 4runner will be coming along too. I'll see you guys out there!

-Brandon
Great to hear Brandon .

Looks like from the trip itinerary that we'll be traveling UP Sherman Pass out of Butte Valley toward Goler Wash/Barker Ranch? That'll be fun! Last time I ran that going DOWN Mengel Pass with an offroad trailer in tow, it was a little bit of a pucker factor but had great spotting! Geologist Cabin gets occupied quickly. There's another abandoned house further up the valley toward Sherman Pass. Camping at the old mine property isn't a bad idea either. There's a nice 'warm' spring just up the hill that makes for a nice bath! Lots more flat ground too compared to either cabin in the valley.

Last edited:
Looks like from the trip itinerary that we'll be traveling UP Sherman Pass out of Butte Valley toward Goler Wash/Barker Ranch? That'll be fun! Last time I ran that going DOWN Sherman Pass with an offroad trailer in tow, it was a little bit of a pucker factor but had great spotting! Geologist Cabin gets occupied quickly. There's another abandoned house further up the valley toward Sherman Pass. Camping at the old mine property isn't a bad idea either. There's a nice 'warm' spring just up the hill that makes for a nice bath! Lots more flat ground too compared to either cabin in the valley.
Appreciate the good intel !! Should come in handy for the trip Brent .

Hi Marc - Thanks for putting this together! I'm planning on making this trip. Shall we have the radio comms plan as Monache Meadows?

Hi Marc - Thanks for putting this together! I'm planning on making this trip. Shall we have the radio comms plan as Monache Meadows?
Yes that would be my suggestion, when we meet in Baker the morning of the event we can at the driver meeting discuss what frequency to make sure we are all on the same.
Yes that would be my suggestion, when we meet in Baker the morning of the event we can discuss specific details for radio comms.

Count me in for this trip too! Look forward to seeing you all there.

Hi Marc/gang,

I'm a probable depending on next dr visit (lobotomies are a b%^th). :cheers:

I will monitor the thread.
David, I hope you can make the trip it will be a lot of fun. ✌️

Emergency I'm dealing with at work this evening that'll likely delay my departure tomorrow and prevent me from scouting the cabin off the 127 we'd discussed. We'll see...

Emergency resolved and left in good time. Cabin found rather easily. Just under 10 miles in from 127. First 7.2 easy graded dirt road and last couple miles not hard either. You could alot no more than 2 hours round trip and have time left over.
20201008_133858.jpg

Teasers. I'll leave interior and other points of interest for you to see!
20201008_140624.jpg
20201008_134027.jpg
20201008_134206.jpg

Nice Pics! Is this one of the cabins/locations we were considering camping at?
No. Quick side excursion on the way into DV on Friday. I'm in Pahrump this weekend so scouted it. Was supposed to be hard to find and a secret. Found it easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom