Death Valley advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this is an old thread but now is the time to start thinking about a family trip in the 100 for T-day 2021. I noticed the very first post mentioned bringing a dog. My understanding is dogs are not allowed on any trails in the NP, but are OK on roads/in cars. Anyone have any words of caution about bringing a dog - like stink eye from rangers or tickets or ...? Thanks in advance!

I know this is an old thread but now is the time to start thinking about a family trip in the 100 for T-day 2021. I noticed the very first post mentioned bringing a dog. My understanding is dogs are not allowed on any trails in the NP, but are OK on roads/in cars. Anyone have any words of caution about bringing a dog - like stink eye from rangers or tickets or ...? Thanks in advance!
We brought our dog for Thanksgiving a few years back and it was fine. Essentially the same rules as the majority of National Parks. Most of the parks I wouldn't consider "dog friendly", but Death Valley was easier than a place like Yellowstone. Good part is that time of year it's cool enough to leave the dog in the car if you do want to do any of the trails or viewing areas. All those are off limits for dogs. We kept ours on the leash and just walked her on the dirt roads by our campsite. Note do prepare for some extreme weather that time of year, the higher elevations can get a lot of snow. We camped down at sea level which was comfortable maybe dropping to 40 overnight. But out exploring even the racetrack and that level was all snow covered.

Ran in a mega traffic jam on Saline Valley Road just before where it meets Hunter Mountain Road. Probably 10-15 cars (including an Earthroamer) where none were expecting snow and about 75% of them kept sliding into the bank. Had to sit for about an hour waiting while a lil 2dr jeep pulled them out 1 at a time.

IMG_1759.jpg

This was the Racetrack when we were there. 1 thing that was great was the long famouse rattling washboard Ractrack Road was smooth as butter because it was covered in a couple inches of snow.
DSC_0822.jpg

The dog:
IMG_1694.jpg

Racetrack Road was smooth as butter because it was covered in a couple inches of snow.

Good to know. This is the only way I'd run Racetrack road again.

Good to know. This is the only way I'd run Racetrack road again.
Yeah for sure, you and quite a few others warned me about that road, so it was quite a pleasant surprise to be cruisin at 35mph the whole way just floating.
If i remember correctly they had a ton of rain just before we got there, so that might have smoothed it out a bit also? Who knows, was nice though.
DSC_0784.jpg

Ran in a mega traffic jam on Saline Valley Road just before where it meets Hunter Mountain Road. Probably 10-15 cars (including an Earthroamer) where none were expecting snow and about 75% of them kept sliding into the bank. Had to sit for about an hour waiting while a lil 2dr jeep pulled them out 1 at a time.

View attachment 2764738

This was the Racetrack when we were there. 1 thing that was great was the long famouse rattling washboard Ractrack Road was smooth as butter because it was covered in a couple inches of snow.
View attachment 2764739

The dog:
View attachment 2764740
wait, this much snow currently? wat mean?

We brought our dog for Thanksgiving a few years back and it was fine. Essentially the same rules as the majority of National Parks. Most of the parks I wouldn't consider "dog friendly", but Death Valley was easier than a place like Yellowstone. Good part is that time of year it's cool enough to leave the dog in the car if you do want to do any of the trails or viewing areas. All those are off limits for dogs. We kept ours on the leash and just walked her on the dirt roads by our campsite. Note do prepare for some extreme weather that time of year, the higher elevations can get a lot of snow. We camped down at sea level which was comfortable maybe dropping to 40 overnight. But out exploring even the racetrack and that level was all snow covered.

That's helpful - thanks. I guess the main thing is it appears OK to be on backroads with a dog in the car and on leash near dispersed camping.

wait, this much snow currently? wat mean?
Ha no that'd be crazy even by DV standards. These pics were all from Thanksgiving trip a few years back. Funny though, looking through the pics is getting me itching to go back there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom