Dealing with shipping damage...Go Fast Superlite (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, been quite a while since I posted on mud and I'm cross posting this on Exportal also, but thought I would solicit some advice from as many like minded folks as I could. Last Wednesday I received my GFC Superlite...super excited as you would expect. Looked over wrapped packaging and while I saw scuffs and wear mark and a couple of small torn places in the wrapping, overall it seemed okay so I started unwrapping it. As I got it unwrapped and started to unzip the cover I found two small holes on the side, pictures attached. As I see it, the shipping company(Old Dominion) had loaded it on that one side and there were two pressure points that wore holes, furthermore, there was inadequate protection on those sides to prevent such damage while packaging... I immediately contacted Old Dominion(like 10 minutes after the truck left), and they opened a "hidden damage" claim and told me to contact Go Fast, which I did...and which bring me to the reason for this post.

Go Fast is apparently putting together a patch kit a solution for this. In my mind, that is an inadequate solution for damage caused by the packaging and handling of my tent during shipment. I found a thread on the portal that shows I am not the only one with this type of shipping damage...thus I assume their desire to find a non-replacement solution. So, am I overreacting or should an undamaged, unpatched tent be the actual final solution for this issue? Thoughts? Opinions?

***EDIT***
Wanted to point out that I was making alot of incorrect assumptions and had bad information that I was working off of as I posted this...so please read the entirety of the posts before forming opinions...

PXL_20210428_172427667 (Medium).jpg
PXL_20210428_172544928 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Don't know what I'm looking at exactly, but was there a cover over that location and holes in the cover too? Does the box have matching damage? If the latter, it's probably the shipper's fault cuz they should/would not accept a damage package, presumably.
Either way, if it's either the shipper or the sender at fault, you should be made whole. How would depend on your priorities. I would say that if you are the least bit uncomfortable with the patch solution, don't go for it. Regardless of how much they say "it'll be just fine". You paid good money presumably for a new item. It now has defects that detract from its newness. If the defect is purely cosmetic and you don't mind, then a patch may be OK. Or even no patch at all. If you do mind for whatever reason, whether it's just the cosmetics or because the use or longevity has been compromised, insist on a return or a fix that is satisfactory to you. If you paid by CC, you have good leverage.
At the end of the day, it's your call. You paid for new undamaged, you should get new undamaged. Doesn't matter what other people feel about it. As to the actual resolution, you could also think about creative possibilities. If the holes are actually fixable and you can live them, maybe you could ask them to send you something that would make you feel like you got your money's worth again. Some sort of accessory that is less costly to the company than the return shipping costs but would make you happy? I got an expensive winch shipped a while back and it got scraped up because of poor packaging. Well, I could live with that and it would have cost them a lot to send it back, so I asked them to send me instead a piece of recovery equipment I needed anyway and they jumped at it. I was happy with the resolution. (But admittedly the damage was only cosmetic in my case, less so for you perhaps.)

Don't know what I'm looking at exactly, but was there a cover over that location and holes in the cover too? Does the box have matching damage? If the latter, it's probably the shipper's fault cuz they should/would not accept a damage package, presumably.
Either way, if it's either the shipper or the sender at fault, you should be made whole. How would depend on your priorities. I would say that if you are the least bit uncomfortable with the patch solution, don't go for it. Regardless of how much they say "it'll be just fine". You paid good money presumably for a new item. It now has defects that detract from its newness. If the defect is purely cosmetic and you don't mind, then a patch may be OK. Or even no patch at all. If you do mind for whatever reason, whether it's just the cosmetics or because the use or longevity has been compromised, insist on a return or a fix that is satisfactory to you. If you paid by CC, you have good leverage.
At the end of the day, it's your call. You paid for new undamaged, you should get new undamaged. Doesn't matter what other people feel about it. As to the actual resolution, you could also think about creative possibilities. If the holes are actually fixable and you can live them, maybe you could ask them to send you something that would make you feel like you got your money's worth again. Some sort of accessory that is less costly to the company than the return shipping costs but would make you happy? I got an expensive winch shipped a while back and it got scraped up because of poor packaging. Well, I could live with that and it would have cost them a lot to send it back, so I asked them to send me instead a piece of recovery equipment I needed anyway and they jumped at it. I was happy with the resolution. (But admittedly the damage was only cosmetic in my case, less so for you perhaps.)
So this is a Go Fast Campers Superlite RTT. This is the outer canvas cover(well all the soft parts are actually integrated into the tent, but yeah those are details that don't really matter). No box, thick plastic wrapped with 1" corrugated cardboard top and bottom. No extra protection on side except for wrap. Found the wear spots through the wrapping material upon secondary inspection. All that as just some addition information...appreciate the feedback... Yep I have thrown out a couple of different options, and today made it clear that I didn't believe the patch kit alone was adequate. Just trying to get opinions to gauge if my personal opinion is reasonable. I've given them the opportunity to come up with some sort of resolution, so here's hoping they come back with something...

***EDIT***
Just wanted to mention as part of working through this with GFC, they will upgrading their packaging to avoid this in the future...

Last edited:
If it's a permanent cover of sorts, does this damage affect use waterproofness? That would make a difference for me.
It seems that if the outside wrapping was damaged as well, the fault is more likely with the shipping company than the vendor. And that their calling it a "hidden damage" -when it's not truly so, apparently- may well be a way to deflect liability. You may need to deal with them, ultimately. Of course, the vendor could have given it damaged to the shipping company but the latter should not have accepted it that way then.
Was there some sort of insurance coverage that you paid for or that was specified? If so, with whom?
Either way, if you wish to have something done, don't let them drag this on until your credit card coverage expires, which may be only a couple of months. You may want to keep the wrapping and take plenty of pics showing the matching damage.
Good luck.

If it's a permanent cover of sorts, does this damage affect use waterproofness? That would make a difference for me.
It seems that if the outside wrapping was damaged as well, the fault is more likely with the shipping company than the vendor. And that their calling it a "hidden damage" -when it's not truly so, apparently- may well be a way to deflect liability. You may need to deal with them, ultimately. Of course, the vendor could have given it damaged to the shipping company but the latter should not have accepted it that way then.
Was there some sort of insurance coverage that you paid for or that was specified? If so, with whom?
Either way, if you wish to have something done, don't let them drag this on until your credit card coverage expires, which may be only a couple of months. You may want to keep the wrapping and take plenty of pics showing the matching damage.
Good luck.
Yeah, it's a permanent cover, doesn't affect waterproofness of sleeping area, but does allow water where it normally wouldn't really be unless patched. Shipping company called it "hidden damage claim" just their term for a claim for damage that could not be ascertained before unpackaging...AKA no way for me to know to refuse shipment. After making the claim, they told me to contact Go Fast...as apparently Go Fast and Old Dominion have to work out what, if anything, happens with the claim. Insurance wasn't specified, couple hundred dollars freight shipping, so I assume there was insurance. Calling Old Dominion back tomorrow to see if Go Fast has contacted them, etc... Will definitely keep bugging all parties and not less this drag out. I'll update on whatever I end up finding out...

Removed as It contained incorrect information...will update later.

Further update with corrections. Apparently Old Dominion is unclear how their own claims process works. Old Dominion is directing people to contact Go Fast for them to make the claim. GFC's Old Dominion rep has told them that they should not be making the claims for people and that the recipient should file the claim themselves...so that is the next step. I found this out as I received a very nice call from Go Fast, very apologetic for the damage and wanting to make it right. So far except for my misunderstandings and my desire for immediate action, this is becoming a positive experience overall...will continue to update as things move forward...hopefully in a positive manner...

Last edited:
yes, please be sure to update if there are positive outcomes as well, that's only fair to companies who have been mentioned in a "complaint" post.

On a practical side, is there a way to replace that "cover" only without affecting the rest of the tent? If it's easy to do, it may be better than having to deal with the hassle of return etc. Come to think of it, if that cover is where a fiberglass lid is usually for clamshells (if that's what it is, talking from memory), you'd think it may be eventually adversely affected by UV and should be easily replaceable.

yes, please be sure to update if there are positive outcomes as well, that's only fair to companies who have been mentioned in a "complaint" post.

On a practical side, is there a way to replace that "cover" only without affecting the rest of the tent? If it's easy to do, it may be better than having to deal with the hassle of return etc. Come to think of it, if that cover is where a fiberglass lid is usually for clamshells (if that's what it is, talking from memory), you'd think it may be eventually adversely affected by UV and should be easily replaceable.
Yeah, all the soft pieces(thick canvas top/bottom/sides...thinner material walls/ceiling/floor) are all interconnected/sewn together and basically the hard bottom and hard top are inserted into that fabric construction. Those soft pieces are meant to be user replaceable in case of damage or eventual UV damage. So, I filed the claim based just on replacing those soft parts...if/when OD pays out, then Go Fast will likely just have me purchase the soft parts to avoid shipping/returning entire unit. Or, and this is apparently the reason for me to make the claim myself, if I can live with whatever patch repair can be done...then I can just keep the claim payout and call it a day. Claim is filed, so a waiting game now...

My opinion, if it's got holes and it's brand new then an inner tube patch wouldn't do it for me.
I'd return for full refund.

Me, if I was offered both the patch and the cost of the replacement cover, as it sounds like may happen if an insurance claim can be made, I'd indeed take that. I'd try the patch, and see how it goes and if no good, then just order the new cover later at no loss. Not that big of a deal to order the cover later on if needed. But if OTOH, the patch holds fine and does the job, and you can get used to the cosmetics, then you've come out ahead. Assuming that is all OK with both the vendor and shipper.

I can't help but think about the possibility of returning the thing, getting a new one, be all happy with the looks despite the major hassle, and then the next week, your brother in law flicks his cig on the top and it burns a hole right through.... o_O and you need to get a patch... :crybaby:

On a more (semi)technical note, why is there an attached canvas cover over the hard lid, if I understood that right? Sounds odd.

On a more (semi)technical note, why is there an attached canvas cover over the hard lid, if I understood that right? Sounds odd.
I think it's just the method they landed on to get a lower cost wedge type tent. Wedge dictates hard top and bottom. Well for the most part, I'm sure you could engineer something with flex poles and soft , but that would cut down on ease of use and rigidity. But a design of canvas outer shell top and bottom that zips together sewn directly to inner tent...identical top and bottom solid sections that insert into those top and bottom portions allows for a pretty thin, light and some lesser expensive tent...

Well, time to give an update once again, because Old Dominion has summarily dismissed my claim...

"Our investigation of your claim has been completed. Delivery was made without exception and no evidence was discovered in the course of our investigation which would indicate that the damage occurred while the shipment was in our possession. "

Basically, we see the pictures, it's obviously the tent was dragged/loaded on it's side and wore through the wrapping, but as you can't prove we did it...too bad. So, I will definitely attempt to not deal with Old Dominion as a freight company anymore...although I'm sure just about every other company would probably do the same... Anyway, I'm now at the mercy of GFC...I will have to see if they take any responsibility for the bad packaging(they've changed it, so they obviously realize it's bad) and offer any type of compensation besides a patch kit. Or I just deal with a patch kit...because that may be my only actual option...

I had an issue with another freight company last year. They were taking forever to process the claim (3-6 months after their stated time) and so I ended up submitting a claim to the Better Business Bureau. That got their attention and they processed the claim pretty quickly after that.

I hope that this feedback is getting back to GFC. If this is occurring on multiple tents, the plastic in cardboard might not be enough padding to get these tents to their destinations. If that's the case, this is on GFC and they need to step up, both for you and for future customers.

So, final update as I now have a final resolution from Go Fast. Back in June I thought I had a resolution of full new fabric parts for tent, there was another delay in oversea shipments and so I kind of just ignored it for awhile. I asked for an update at the end of July and was contacted by phone at the beginning of August; they wanted to pivot back to a patch kit, expressing concern over the customer having to basically fully disassemble the tent to replace the soft parts. As of that time(Aug 5th) I was informed they are having issues finding a glue that performed like they wanted. So I once again gave them time to get that sorted to see what the patch results would look like. Received an email with photo example of patch a week ago. Was offered additional phone conversations to discuss, but I personally prefer email, it allows me to formulate my thoughts more clearly and with less emotion. I politely, but succinctly informed them I would not be satisfied with a patch on a brand new, unused tent. I would accept all liability for installing new tent fabric, I don't need the new tent fabric immediately as I don't wish to impact their current delivery obligations, but that is what I needed to be a satisfied customer. Also told them if a patch kit was the only thing they could provide within their current business parameters, then so be it...please sent it, but we would have no reason for further dialog. GFC expressed understanding of my position and as of a few moments ago, I took delivery of 20 pounds of new canvas(or polyester or whatever it is) and screen. So as for my particular journey, it was a crummy situation for all involved(except Old Dominion, they cleaned their hands at first legal opportunity). Packaging was changed and an attempt was made to communicate in a way that suited me best, and in the end I was left a "happy camper"... So, while not the fastest or smoothest resolution, GFC does appear to be attempting to do their best to work for their customers.

Glad to hear it was resolved. I just took delivery of my Super Lite yesterday morning. It was in a custom-sized cardboard box and no other packaging - no padding, no plastic wrap, etc. The box did fit nice and tight, so I assume anything else would be superfluous. It appears to be in fine shape, but I have not had the chance to go over it in detail.

The OD driver that dropped it off told me that the as soon as I opened the box to inspect (as GFC specifically told me to do in a pre-delivery email) I was assuming liability. He also said that he "signed for me", and I never was even asked for my actual signature on a bill of lading, packing slip, etc. I never signed anything.

@bryson When are you putting it on? And in what truck?
Ha ha ha... It's currently installed on the shop floor. Ideally I will have a setup for it on either the 80 or the 200, but neither is currently RTT-able. I need to decide if I want to run a rack of sorts, or just some simple load bars.

Ha ha ha... It's currently installed on the shop floor. Ideally I will have a setup for it on either the 80 or the 200, but neither is currently RTT-able. I need to decide if I want to run a rack of sorts, or just some simple load bars.
Lighter the better I'd say. I can scrounge up some used Eezi-Awn load bars if you want to run them.

Two are local to you and I have a third. Two would likely get the job done for a Superlite.

I also had some minor Superlite drama. Ordered mine long ago and when it finally came OD called me to setup a delivery at home. I was too excited and decided to just drive to the terminal and pickup in person. When I arrived they brought it out on the loading dock. First I noticed the box was torn along the entire side…crushed-in and torn (36 inch long gash) so I was already on high alert for damage. Then I noticed that there was a puncture in the top of the cardboard. It appeared that a single fork from a lift had punctured the top.

Then OD told me if I opened the package I had to accept it…GFC said I had to open and inspect it…first red flag. Then the OD guys all start telling me it’s ‘fine’. Just accept it, it’s all good, no worries.

What dirtbags they are. I took some photos with my phone for GFC and then ripped open the cardboard where the puncture mark was, and indeed the tent was also damaged. They tried everything in the book to get me to accept fault, when it was clearly their responsibility.

I immediately declared the shipment refused, didn’t sign anything, got in my Cruiser and left.

GFC shipped me a new unit 1 week later, and it was still the “Launch Edition” this time OD didn’t treat it like a box of junk.

Best tent for the money hands down, also NLA last time I checked. I’ve already seen them selling for double what I paid new, fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom