1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dc cooler

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by jginca, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jginca

jginca

2. GulfShoresFJ60

GulfShoresFJ60

It's a thermoelectric cooler. It does not have a traditional compressor. If I remember correctly it will get rough 20* cooler than the outside. It will not freeze stuff or really even cool stuff like you probably would want it to. That is the reason the price is so low. A real refrigerator/cooler like that would be at least $400.

3. GulfShoresFJ60

GulfShoresFJ60

I know this is from Wikipedia but food for thought:
    Basically thermoelectric coolers are only 5-10% efficient whereas an ARB or Engel would be about 40-60% efficient.

Engel/ARB Fridge/Freezer
    The 33 Qrt size is $639.50

4. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I have a Coleman like that, It was about $55.00(Walmart) 4 years ago, It works well, But it isnt a refrig. it will keep things about 20-30 deg. cooler than the temp outside.
    Ive been happy with ours and for the cost you cant beat what it does, Ours will heat as well, If you reverse the plug, Has AC/DC hookups
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4810828
    IIRC mine was cheaper, But this looks a little different, Like the fan unit sticks out more than our.
    Good luck

5. jginca

jginca

Thanks for the info

6. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

http://waecousa.com/

Has refurbished models for sale. I have a CF-50 and like its size, features and performance. I did not buy it refurbished though.

7. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

I have one of those, mine's older with a "Koolatron" label, but it looks exactly like that. I bought it in '97 when we were taking a long cross-country journey (6 weeks), most of it camping, and I didn't want to hassle with buying ice. This was before the better ARB/Engel/whoever fridges were popular.

It sucked. Keeps a delta-T of about 40 degrees maximum, after running for 2-3 days solid. I could NEVER turn it off. A few times in Arizona we had to buy ice anyway, just to keep stuff from spoiling. The cheap latch snapped off after only a few weeks.

I don't think I've used it since we got back from the trip. I probably never will.

8. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

did a thread on similar "coolers" a while back with numbers

basic story is that if you put something cold in, it will help somewhat keeping it cold without the mess and inconvenience of melting ice

OTOH, if you want to *cool* something, forget it...

9. CoveredInRedMud

CoveredInRedMud

Have to agree with the above, with the added thought that if you get one large enough to act as a regular icebox, for <$100 it will make your bagged ice last for days and days longer than it would have otherwise. A coleman one made me happy for a long time in this way. I could go out for 5 days on one 10lb bag of ice.

But you still have bagged ice, water everywhere, ziplocks needed up the wazoo.....