Dash Crack Prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
dash crack.PNG

A lot of stuff about trying to repair or replace a cracked dash.... but having trouble finding anything on preventing cracks, or specifically, how to stop small cracks from becoming bigger as they always eventually do. Has anyone tried anything that keeps these annoying cracks from spreading/growing? This little guy popped up on my dash this year. i may be asking for the impossible but figured its worth a shot... and if I'm a tard that missed it in the search feel free to flame away. Cheers!

Honestly, keeping the sun off the dash as much as possible. Mine is crack free because the two previous owners used a dash cover.
I use a window shade thing when im parked. I think thats about it. The plastic dash covers dont look too bad, that could be an option.

I've heard that baby oil works well.

baby oil. maybe that will help preserve... couldn't hurt. i didn't know if someone had tried some kind of adhesive in the crack or something that might keep it from spreading. cover on order.

I don't recommend getting a dash mat, in my experience, they actually trap/absorb the heat and will make it crack faster, the velcro stickers also ruin the dash. Dash mats are good for covering cracks after the fact. I like using these type of sunshades as they go on the outside and keep the windshield from getting too hot and keep the wipers lasting longer. Work pretty good for sun and snow. They only last a year or so, but are usually less than $10.
Amazon product ASIN B08CY4TBHG
dash cover.jpg

Last edited:
I read elsewhere on Mud that while extreme heat and sun fry the dashboard, it's extreme cold that causes it to crack, which makes sense. I fully support all the sun shade ideas and use them on all my trucks.

To slow an existing crack, I wonder if you could remove the dash and apply a urethane adhesive to the back side, possibly with a metal splint, to firm up that area. It's a lot of work, but we're gluttons for punishment, right? It's all in the name of science.

I used a slightly” watery”mix of jb weld on mine.
I forced it through a syringe that the tip had been cut to size. A couple of applcations to bring it level with the cracks, and it has held up nicely for about a year and a half. I didnt sand the dash because I didnt want to try and duplicate the texture. I thenused SEM paint on the dash,
Looks good, not perfect, and the cracks have not advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom