Dana, aka LACruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is with great sadness that my longtime friend Dana, LACruiser, passed away on Sunday morning.

Below is a message that Dana sent out recently. I had talked to him on Saturday and he seemed to be fine and in good spirits. One thing that was important to him was other other learned to not wait until you have a problem before taking care of yourself. I include this message in the hope that others might read, learn and hopefully prevent problems.

Since this is a public forum, I will only post certain information as the information is available. Please keep Dana's wife and three children in your thoughts and prayers.

A scary UCLA episode
Date: Wed 17-Mar-2010 07:47:17 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know what happened. I know some of you have seen emails or FB messages about an incident that I just went through.

Here's a recap of what happened, and the latest.

Last Sat morning I awoke to a strong ache and pressure in the middle of my chest. This lasted only a minute or two, then repeated itself a couple times in the next half-hour, so off we went to the ER. After downing an aspirin, Jill drove me to UCLA Medical Center, because they are the best hospital around for anything like this.

After a quick blood test they determined that I had elevated cardiac enzymes. These are markers for heart muscle trauma. Fortunately for me, the numbers were very low, so the likelihood of any kind of major damage having been done was almost nil. However, "something" had happened, so they admitted me to the hospital.

UCLA works on a "committee" style. There are a number of cardiologists, they all consult each other on all the patients, and there is a consensus that is reached, the results are discussed with the patient, and that is the course of action that is recommended. So you are getting a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion, all at once. Of course, the individual physicians may recommend different courses of action.

To make a very long story short, I ended up taking two imaging tests, an echo cardiogram, and a nuclear stress test (involves a treadmill). I came through both with perfect results.

So the end result is that I have been diagnosed with a NSTEMI, which in layman's terms is a mild heart attack. There is some muscle damage, but best they can tell, whatever artery is involved is only partially blocked, not totally.

They are convinced that I can manage this condition with diet, weight loss, exercise, and medications. So on Friday I was on zero meds, and as of now, I'm on quite a few! This condition (partial blockage) is apparently reversible over time.

And now I'm going to pay a WHOLE lot more attention to that nutrition label on the food containers.

This incident is of my own doing. I've been ignoring high blood lipids, blood pressure, and excess weight for some time, and it could have killed me. The nurses informed me they see many people every week come through there in exactly the same situation, only much much worse. Again, people who have ignored their "numbers" for years, and now are paying a very heavy toll.

In retrospect, I'm a very lucky guy. I now see the light. I've learned that despite intense exercise, you really DO need to watch what you eat, and watch those numbers!

Many thanks to those who visited/called/emailed to express their concern and support. Those feelings are greatly appreciated, believe me.

Dana

This is very sad news ....

Do you have any information on services ?

I don't have any information yet. As I hear something I will let you know, but due to the sudden and nature of it, nothing has been decided yet. They may just have a Memorial service.

Dang!

I didn't know Dana other than on the forum, but I'm very sorry to hear about his passing.

My condolences(sp) to his wife, children, and the rest of his friends and family.

R.I.P. Dana...

The services for Dana will be at St Mark's Church on Saturday at 1pm.

St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Van Nuys

14646 Sherman Way
Van Nuys, 91405

FYI, I will be forwarding messages to Jill, Dana's wife, so please feel free to send any messages for forwarding.

Last edited:
You guys, I am so sorry to hear this. God bless Dana and watch over his family.

I only hung out with him a few times at our lunch outings, but the first time I met him, he had a very surprising straightforwardness about his life experiences in marriage and raising children. I won't forget what he told me. I'm happy to have had the chance to speak to him, if only briefly. And sorry to not have known him better.

You guys, I am so sorry to hear this. God bless Dana and watch over his family.

I only hung out with him a few times at our lunch outings, but the first time I met him, he had a very surprising straightforwardness about his life experiences in marriage and raising children. I won't forget what he told me. I'm happy to have had the chance to speak to him, if only briefly. And sorry to not have known him better.

I just got the news from Joey a few hours ago and, like Shahram, I was always impressed with Dana's straightforwardness. We shared a lot of common experiences in having adult children, music, travel adventures and landcruisers. And I know that Ken had ten times the connection that I did...easily.

I am wondering if we could have our own get together, just the cruiserheads, like Dana enjoyed so much. Wadda ya all say?

Sorry to hear about this.

Even though I never met him, I'm at a loss for words.

Mark, let us know what you come up with.

I am wondering if we could have our own get together, just the cruiserheads, like Dana enjoyed so much. Wadda ya all say?

Mark, got your msg --

Yeah, I'd like to do this. I was planning on attending the Saturday service, but none of the lovely folks at work will cover for me, so this is a nice idea.

What do you have in mind ?

Honestly, I would prefer a slight delay, for many reasons.

I also don't know what you would think of making the offer to Jill to attend and that would require waiting.

Also, when I spoke to Dana on Saturday, he had said that he wanted to go to Death Valley. We also spoke of going to Monache Meadows again, but needed to decide whether to go in the Spring or the Fall. I would like to organize those trips as well. For Death Valley, it would be the Butte Valley area and/or Saline Valley. Dana spoke of Butte Valley and wanting to explore the south-east area of the park.

Ok, Ken, it's your or the family's call.

I also don't know what you would think of making the offer to Jill to attend and that would require waiting.

Also, when I spoke to Dana on Saturday, he had said that he wanted to go to Death Valley. We also spoke of going to Monache Meadows again, but needed to decide whether to go in the Spring or the Fall. I would like to organize those trips as well. For Death Valley, it would be the Butte Valley area and/or Saline Valley. Dana spoke of Butte Valley and wanting to explore the south-east area of the park.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

I already have a Saline Valley-Death Valley trip on my calendar from April 25th thru May 2nd, so this could definitely work for me.

The trip actually starts with a hike on the 23rd up Black Mtn in the El Paso range, a special place where the ashes of several people have been scattered. CORVA Jamboree at Red Rock on the 24th, then off to Saline. Meeting up with a geology field trip in DV on the 28th, so Saline and Striped Butte could definitely fill in the gap.;)

I personally think the idea of including Dana's wife in the lunch would be awesome, so I can see why waiting would be appropriate. Good call there Ken.:)

It feels a little weird to say this, but that was the NICEST memorial service I have ever been to...really.

Dana and I had a LOT more parallels than I had previously realized, and while I felt a little out of place when I first got there, I was really, really glad I went after hearing all the people who spoke, including Ken.

There were a lot of cruiserfolk there.

:)

I have been asked to help Dana' wife Jill sell Dana's Cruiser collection and be the first contact. Since Dana (and Jill) was a used vehicle dealer, all of these vehicles are considered part of the inventory and has to be sold through the dealership.

Dana's Land Cruiser Collection

Please let me know if you have any questions.

We just found out today. I led a run of Tacos to Rowher Flats and parked at the top of Bouquet hill. A couple of crusiers on a Trail Crew run came by and we asked if they knew Dana. I had met Dana years ago at the same spot and been on D.V. runs with him since. He came with us on a couple of D.V. runs this year. I don't know what to say. He's the reason our club got ham licenses. We're all very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom