Dan Neil Landcruiser HE review, WSJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always thought the Jetta TDI wagon was a pretty cool vehicle, until I learned it was emitting significantly more NOx than semi trucks in many circumstances. I'd suggest checking out "Faster, Higher, Farther" if you haven't already to learn more about the true details of the VW scandal and the culture which allowed it to occur. It is difficult to overestimate the damage caused from the systemic and intentional cheating they undertook, and there are still ongoing trials to sort out culpability. It is definitely a huge deal and likely the biggest scandal ever in the automotive industry.

But on the plus side, it ironically helped launch EVs into the mainstream as a result of the settlement which required VW to invest $2B+ in building EV charging infrastructure (Electrify America - Wikipedia). For people who like torque, reliability, efficiency, and low maintenance, EVs are the clear future, so in a way Dieselgate was a boon to the industry.
Interesting, please cite an example of this “damage” to which you refer. Diesels have dominated in Europe for many many years, they don’t seem to be dropping like flies over there. Yeah, VW got caught cheating and then the lawyers took over for the shakedown. The same thing happened to Toyota with the whole “sudden acceleration” fiasco. Diesels are on the way out for political reasons, nothing more.

Interesting, please cite an example of this “damage” to which you refer. Diesels have dominated in Europe for many many years, they don’t seem to be dropping like flies over there. Yeah, VW got caught cheating and then the lawyers took over for the shakedown. The same thing happened to Toyota with the whole “sudden acceleration” fiasco. Diesels are on the way out for political reasons, nothing more.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here - can you clarify what you mean by "they don’t seem to be dropping like flies over there."? Are you suggesting that excess CO2 and NOx pollution has no harmful effects and the evidence to support that position is people in Europe are not dropping like flies?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here - can you clarify what you mean by "they don’t seem to be dropping like flies over there."? Are you suggesting that excess CO2 and NOx pollution has no harmful effects and the evidence to support that position is people in Europe are not dropping like flies?
Yeah, pretty much. Lots of things we encounter on a day to day basis have harmful effects. Didn’t hear a concrete example of “damage” so let me give you one as it relates to your EV’s, mining. You should check it out, thats how these batteries are created, and it’s not exactly a green endeavor.

Talking about the environment while driving one of the most inefficient hydrocarbon burning vehicles on the planet is ironic.

Can we not turn this into a environmentalist shouting match like that thread about plastic water bottles vs jerry cans.

Yeah, pretty much. Lots of things we encounter on a day to day basis have harmful effects. Didn’t hear a concrete example of “damage” so let me give you one as it relates to your EV’s, mining. You should check it out, thats how these batteries are created, and it’s not exactly a green endeavor.

The process of mining is often used to debate this topic which I find amusing. That suggests there are no harmful side effects of oil and gas extraction which very clearly couldn’t be further from the truth. While I love to engage in open minded and fact based discussion, sometimes people’s minds are already firmly made up and thoughtful, respectful, and constructive exchange of ideas isn’t possible. It’s ok to disagree, and I think it’s fair to say we respectfully disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom