CVT Mt Hood RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyOshow22

KK0TEQ
Threads
Going to post this up since I haven't seen anyone talk about the double channel here on mud or really any other place online.

Here is the Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Hood 56" double channel roof top tent on my 97 LX450.

PXL_20210404_005205897.jpg

I wouldn't call this a review at this point since my wife and I have a whopping 1 (yes 1) night in this thing, but I am going to keep this thread updated for those of you that are interested in this tent so in time it will morph into a review. As of right now lets call this post a factoid about the tent. Purchased this back in February for 20% off, if you watch their Instagram they will randomly do sales and we definitely hopped on the band wagon. I had been eyeing this tent for quite some time, and in my opinion this tent is kind of a jack of all trades much like my 80. Thin enough, light enough, roomy enough... It checked off most the boxes on my list, more so than any other tent on the market. Even without the sale this was the tent I wanted to get.

It is an aluminum clamshell style tent that weighs in at ~150 lbs (They're claim and I didn't weigh it but it also didn't take much effort for me and a buddy to move it around). Its sides are an aluminum extrusion. It has 1 slot around the rim on the top half of the clamshell and 2 slots on the lower half hence the name Double Channel. They do offer a slimmer "Single Channel" version that is 6.25" thick. I chose the double channel to make closing with pillows and sleeping bags easier. I already get 10-12 mpg, wasn't worried about the extra 2" of wind drag. The tent also doubles as a roof rack and comes with 2 cross bars that can be installed on the top half. They say you can keep 150 lbs up there on the load bars and while I likely never will, based on how stout this thing is I believe them but you probably wouldn't want to open it with that much on top.

Interior dimensions 82"x 53"x 55" (55 is the interior height to the peak)
Exterior dimensions 85"x 56"x 9.75" (The height is really 8.25", they include their roof rack crossbars in the height that are supplied with the tent but don't have to be installed, I didn't install them)

All the hardware included and the struts are stainless steel. The latches are a draw style latch and make closing the tent much easier than competitors tents. The tent has a bungy cord that goes around the fabric to help keep the fabric in while shutting the tent. I can shut the tent without ever hopping off the tailgate to fold fabric in on the side. The ladder is solid and you can enter from any of the three sides. I placed the ladder safety hooks on the driver side and centered on the rear so that we can enter from under the tents built in awning if its raining and the ladder does not interfere with the driver rear door. One thing I am going to do with the ladder safety hooks is put heat shrink around them because when the truck moves the ladder on hook movement makes a squeak.

PXL_20210321_192257435.jpg

(photo of one latch, there are one on each side at the back, and there is provisions to add a lock of your choosing)

Mounting things to the tent is extremely easy, the slots take M8 hardware, I've found that m8 jam nuts from any local hardware store work great and are cheap, pair those with some stainless button head screws and blue locktite and you have a nice polished mounting solution. So far I have mounted a 2 Banger Riverquiver from Riversmith to hold our fly rods and on the passenger side I have a 99" CVT awning. You can buy awning mounts from CVT but I opted to make my own to keep the awning as tight as possible to the truck (It sits closer inwards than my Safari Snorkel).

PXL_20210322_181251783 (1).jpg

Moving onto the tent body and the inside.

Mattress is foam and 3" thick. The mattress in my opinion is way too stiff/uncomfortable and I've swapped it out for my exped megamat duo (which fits perfectly, and we had already planned on doing that anyways, one of the reasons we bought this width tent) that I used with my ground tent before I got into this. The exped is super comfortable and definitely the way to go which a lot of people are doing in all sorts of rtt's not just this one.

The body is a heavy duty canvas that is water proof, all the interior seems and stitching are sealed with seam sealer tape. The canvas is zipped into the tent, this means that if you rip, puncture, somehow mess up the canvas then you can call up CVT and order a replacement body. The extra bit of awning over the rear of the tent was a big selling point for me. My wife go camping rain or shine and keeping water out of the tent is important. Some tents don't have that and if it's raining something is getting wet when you get in plus if it's raining you can keep the back door open to help prevent condensation from building up. The awning does not have to be deployed, it can be rolled up and has toggle style clasps at the top. The doors on the sides roll down with canvas on the outside and mesh on the inside. The door on the rear rolls up, canvas on the outside, mesh on the inside. This thing has a lot of zippers so we added some paracord pulls to them which 1 makes them easier to operate but 2 also makes them nearly silent when it gets windy which it did the one night we've been in it so far and never heard the zippers. There are 8 pockets inside the tent for things like water bottles, glasses, headlamps etc. Some tents don't have pockets which if you wear glasses you know how sometimes not being able to find your glasses right away sucks. The roof is lined with a thin layer of carpet, this is there to absorb moisture and then release slowly so water droplets don't form overnight due to the moisture in your breath and it also helps insulate the tent. Also on the roof is a bungy mesh thing that you can shove jackets/clothes/anything you don't want on the mattress to keep it roomier for you to sleep without feeling crowded. Inside we added a cheap battery powered led light strip, lights up the inside perfectly.

PXL_20210402_234050425.MP.jpg

So now that I've gone through almost all what the tent offers lets talk about the elephants in the room.... Yes it is chinesium and yes it is one of several copies on the market

so why did I purchase the CVT version vs the Roofnest, Area BFE, Outer Tents etc?

1 - its the only double channel (8" vs 6")on the market that means you can make stronger connections with things like awnings, shower rooms, etc, it makes closing the tent easier and you can leave all your stuff up there, something you cannot do in a lot of these super thin tents that are only 6" and in my opinion 8 is still very thin.
2 - CVT's latches are the best compared with every other manufacturer, every other manufacture has a push over style latch which can be a major pain to close. Look up those companys and then compare their latch to what I posted above and you'll see the difference immediately
3- CVT has a great reputation for taking care of its customers and that counts for a lot.

All in all my wife and I are super happy with the Mt. Hood so far, time will tell what we really think of it but we will be putting it through it's paces this summer. Our goal is to get 30 nights of camping this summer (Some influencer is going to spit out their chai tea latte at some point when they see the word camping instead of overlanding in this thread lol) This is definitely going to make exploring Montana where we live and the rest of the continent in our 80 that much easier!

Thanks for the detailed post on the mt. hood tent Johnny! This is definitely high on my list of rtt's that I am considering for my rig. Good to know about the double channel and the mattress. Look forward to a review down the road after a few more nights in it. 👍

Nice setup! I don't recognize the roof rack that your RTT is mounted to. When I went from Yakima bars to Prinsu, it made attaching my RTT to the rack a challenge due to the limited room between the 80's roof and Prinsu. But it sure looked better and was sturdier. One thing's for sure, CVT RTT's have successfully evolved since 2012 when I bought mine. I like all the improvements that been incorporated, except on the doors, where they've put the screens inside the tent fabric . I think you'll find that on nights when you're needing to adjust how much you want the doors open, that having to unzip the screen 1st is inconvenient. For me, it worked a lot better to have the screens on the outside and kept the bugs out more effectively. But, that's getting nit-picky. All in all, I think I'd prefer your newer tent to what I had. 👍

Last edited:
Nice setup! I don't recognize the roof rack that your RTT is mounted to. When I went from Yakima bars to Prinsu, it made attaching my RTT to the rack a challenge due to the limited room between the 80's roof and Prinsu. But it sure looked better and was sturdier. One thing's for sure, CVT RTT's have successfully evolved since 2012 when I bought mine. I like all the improvements that been incorporated, except on the doors, where they've put the screens inside the tent fabric . I think you'll find that on nights when you're needing to adjust how much you want the doors open, that having to unzip the screen 1st is inconvenient. For me, it worked a lot better to have the screens on the outside and kept the bugs out more effectively. But, that's getting nit-picky. All in all, I think I'd prefer your newer tent to what I had. 👍
Thanks! That is a 1 of a kind roof rack built by me. It used to have 10 cross bars but I removed a bunch down to 4 bars to save weight when putting the tent up since it really doesnt need 10. The rack probably weighs 40 ish lbs at this point and sit 1/4" off the roofs tallest point (I also removed the lx450 luggage rub rails from under the stock rack) so all in all the top of the tent only sits 9" from the roofs tallest point and the rod vault just a few more above that. The also made super sturdy custom brackets to mount the tent to the roof rack becuase I wasn't a fan of their hardware. The hardware they supplied is sufficient but it could be better. When looking up cvt reviews I read all of what you had posted and the evolution is quite something. I think over time I will agree with you about the window mesh but like you said it is getting nit picky!

And for the heck of it here's some more photos
PXL_20210302_021223626.MP.jpg
PXL_20210313_235351949.jpg
PXL_20210322_181259462 (1).jpg
PXL_20210404_130901136.jpg
PXL_20210404_001019372.jpg

Wow, that is a well designed & attractive roof rack, IMHO. I like the way you spaced the gutter mount points to avoid possible door interference with the clamps. Comparing pics of yours with my Prinsu, and what I've seen with Bowfin, I like yours better. It looks like underside rack access is better. Which is important when mounting things to it.

Wow, that is a well designed & attractive roof rack, IMHO. I like the way you spaced the gutter mount points to avoid possible door interference with the clamps. Comparing pics of yours with my Prinsu, and what I've seen with Bowfin, I like yours better. It looks like underside rack access is better. Which is important when mounting things to it.
Wow thank you so much, built it a few years ago when prinsu was the only thing on the market. It was still difficult to mount but wasn't too bad. With prinsu/bowfin the way to install these things is to remove bars you are going to clamp/bolt the tent too from the roof rack. Install those onto the tent with the tent upside down, measure to get all your left to right and front to back positions of the bars, then bolt up to the tent. After that lift the tent, shuffle it into place and then put the side bolts for the bars back in. That method makes tent mounting easy. I was able to do that for the middle two bars and left the front and rear for the tent to rest on, and then those got bolted up. Total time was about an hour to mount.

Great review, super helpful, thanks a ton for sharing. I think this may be my next RTT for my 100 series. A few questions:

1. Could you move the side latter mounts back so that you could open the rear side door with the latter deployed and not contact? Or would it be too aft to get into the side opening?

2. As you use this RTT more, can you say more about what does (and doesn’t) fit in this double-channel version? Pillows and puffy sleeping bags? Or just a blanket and compressible pillow? What about the ladder? I agree with you that this is a big improvement over the single channel or Roofnest Falcon clones.

3. This 56” double version actually only weights 150lbs? The CVT website has me worried listing it at 220lbs - that’s a bit much!

Great review, super helpful, thanks a ton for sharing. I think this may be my next RTT for my 100 series. A few questions:

1. Could you move the side latter mounts back so that you could open the rear side door with the latter deployed and not contact? Or would it be too aft to get into the side opening?

2. As you use this RTT more, can you say more about what does (and doesn’t) fit in this double-channel version? Pillows and puffy sleeping bags? Or just a blanket and compressible pillow? What about the ladder? I agree with you that this is a big improvement over the single channel or Roofnest Falcon clones.

3. This 56” double version actually only weights 150lbs? The CVT website has me worried listing it at 220lbs - that’s a bit much!
1 - The rear door opens without hitting! but yes the mounts can be moved anywhere and it comes with 3 sets of mounts so you can access the tent on all 3 sides but I only put on the DS and rear because the PS has the awning in the way

2 - We kept small pillows and two 0 degree down bags in there and was able to shut it and that was before we put the our megamat in. With the megamat I'm confident that you could likely leave a standard pillow in there.

3 - I just went and looked at the website again and in the description it now says 160 and the specifications says 220. It was easy to move with 2 people. Definitely not 220, I have had a tepui kukeman rugadized (confirmed 220 lbs) on top of my 80 and this is no where near that

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

I am thinking about this tent and my question is the sizes, did you think about the small size? And does the medium stick out the sides just right or too much? It would just be my 5'7" and my 10yo daughter any thoughts?

4 months later still loving it! Probably close to 20 nights in it now. Zero issues so far. Been opening after each rain and there's been zero leaks, something the roofnest people seem to be battling with the falcons. Super comfortable with the megamat.

PXL_20210724_031022330.jpg

PXL_20210905_134156517.jpg

PXL_20210509_024804098.jpg

PXL_20210626_172013873.jpg

Thanks for the great info. How do you have that RiverQuiver attached to the Mt. Hood?

Thanks for the great info. How do you have that RiverQuiver attached to the Mt. Hood?
I made some custom brackets that are a 3/16" flat plate bent with 2 45's to mimic the roof line

Time for an update. It's warm here, 36 F, in Bozeman today so I decided to open the tent and look and see if there was going on inside of it. It's been shut for several wet, snowy months, probably been since early October that I opened it. Some of the other tents out there that are this style have had issues with mildew and water intrusion. On the roofnest facebook page it seems like an ongoing issue for many falcon owners and since this is the same thing I was a bit worried. Well, it was completely dry inside, no mildew, no condensation so that was a relief!
PXL_20220130_204548597.jpg
PXL_20220130_204358349.jpg
PXL_20220130_204356217.MP.jpg

IMHO, the original owner of CVT, Bobby Culpepper, is an excellent judge of what is important in a RTT. So it doesn't surprise me that the newer style of RTT's that CVT sells seem to out perform even the supposedly higher quality tents. My Mt. Baker, which was the original fiberglass hard shell style, performed flawlessly by keeping the moisture and dust out - deployed or closed up for months, sometimes years at a time. I was amazed at how little upkeep the inside required and I'd leave my sleeping bag and other things stored up there. I think it's just the correct balance of ventilation and weather/dust proofing that does the trick. It didn't matter how humid or dry or stormy the weather was. I had the tent for just over 8 years with excellent performance at all times. It's been sold - replaced with an off road trailer, but the link for my RTT is in my sig, if anyone is interested. @JohnnyOshow22 - thanks for the update!

You are absolutely right about CVT and Bobby. I had one of the original one channel CVT tents when he first brought them in. I shared with him how much I love the slimness of the tent but I actually had to climb up onto the top to put enough weight on the top of the tent to get the buckle to close. Bobby was able to provide the new buckles on the next generation of tents. The buckles that are currently on the tents are game changers. They seal the tent tightly and I latching it with gloves is easy to do! Bobby put the carpet liner on the roof well before anyone else did, even doubling up on the basket material so that you can stick heavier items up there. He has a great eye for attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom