CV's - 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking under the front end of the 100 yesterday and noticed my inner CV boot on the passenger side is a greasy mess. The one on the driver side is a little greasy too. Does this indicate it must be replaced? It is not making any noise, like clicking or anything.

The vehicle is Toyota certified and it specifically states cv's are covered. The bigger question is this, is this happening because I have 82k miles on the truck or because I have the t-bars replaced and cranked up a bit or is it a combination of both? I am guessing cv's wear out like anything else and the mileage is most of the cause. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

uzj100

I don't know specifically about the 100 series cruiser but every other ifs toyota i've seen has the neoprene boot covering the cv joint and when it cracks and tears the grease is flung out, the damaging part is that now dirt and debris can get into your boot and ruin you cv, since it is under warantee i would take it in, other wise stick your grease gun in the cracked boot and fill it up with grease to keep it lubed, Brad.

I noticed you said that you replaced and adjusted the torsion bar. I thank when the torsion bar was replaced the wheel just hung there putting stress on the boot. Causing it to tear.
Just clean off the grease and look real close for a tear & squeeze on it to make it ooze grease out that will help find any tear.
To answer your question it will not make noise until it is completely dry of grease. At that point you will need new CV joints. You can take off the shafts now and have them re-booted & it won’t cost much.
Also, if the wheel was not hanging down when the torsion bar was put on, then the other scenario is that the new torsion bar set-up has put a new angle on the very dry boot, so as when turning or going over rough terrain it has a different angle on the dry brittle boot. I think the boot gets dry in a “set” pattern it fine until some thing changes.
I had a car in the shop for a clutch job once and when I got it back a few days later grease was all over the place. The both boots were torn like you described. I think it was form the wheels hanging/pulling on the boots.

Same thing happened on my 4Runner. The boots get cracked and crumbly and then grease starts to fling out with the centrifugal force as you drive. My own experience showed me that once the boots are leaking, the only real option is to replace them. It is not too hard. I would not recommend driving around with them until they are dry cause then they are ruined and I would also not recommend lubing them up with a grease gun cause then your wheel wells and everything will be slopped up with grease spray. Also, I have heard of boots that can be replaced without removing the axles but I do not think these things can take all the angles and stuff they will see with offroad use. HTH.

This also might not be covered under warranty since you modified that area of the LC. I would not say anything to the dealer other than they look like they are leaking and you want them fixed/replaced. When the bill comes just show them the warranty if they try to charge you for the job.

Compromised axle boots are a death sentence for the joints they cover. They need to be replaced ASAP regardless of the vehicle we are talking about. The issue is not so much debris getting in as the lubricant being tossed out by the spinning axle. Once a boot fails it takes very little time to spin all the grease out. The TCUV (Toyota Certified Used Vehicle) warrany coverage would likely apply. See you dealer soon before the joints get dry.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom