cutting fenderwells

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
GOLD Star
I want/need to cut my fenderwells and have seen many that have it done. My question is, Has anyone actually taken video or good pics I am well aware of how to trim the sheetmetal, what eludes me is making it look like they werent cut after. I want it to look factory AFTER the cutting is done. Lil help.

pb4ugo

SILVER Star

1st I have to say, I aint no body man. I did it yrs ago. I don't know if this is right or not, but it worked for me. I wanted them to have a stock appearing opening, with a folded edge. 1st I got some heavy paper or 30 pack beer cardboard and traced out the stk opening, and cut it out to use as a template. I wanted the frt and rear angles of the stk opening. I then figured out the opening size I wanted and traced the opening with the template on to the rear 1/4's with a permanent marker. Once the opening I wanted was traced, I then drew another line about a 1/2 inch on the inside of my opening line, which represented where I was going to cut. I wanted to fold the sheet metal around the opening like the stk opening was and not have a sharp unfinished edge. I then cut the sheet metal on the inside line with tin snips or whatever. There are several ways to make the fold, 1 using pliers and 2 using a piece of angle iron clamped or held to the inside of the fender along the new opening line, I used both. To start the folding process I used pliers/channel locks/visegrips, putting the nose of the pliers to my traced opening line and started to begin folding, but only bending a little bit at a time, moving along the opening line. I worked it over and over a little at a time. After that I clamped or held the angle iron on the inside of the 1/4's along the opening line as backing and slowly hammered/tapped along the edge to be folded. You have to hammer/tap along the whole edge being folded. don't try to do 1 spot at time. Initially, hit closer to the edge you cut. Again, I worked it over and over a little at time. The curves are tricky. I also used a dolly or whatever else I could find to help in making a clean bend. Once the bends are clearly defined you can be a little more aggressive to get a clean edge, again using angle iron or a dolly as backing on inside of the 1/4 along the opening edge. The corners will probably wrinkle a little on the folded edge, but not on the exposed edge. I started folding on the bottom vertical openings 1st, on the horizontal edge I started folding in the center of the opening, I think.

Last edited:

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
GOLD Star
I did it yrs ago. I don't know if this is right or not, but it worked for me. I wanted them to have a stock appearing opening, with a folded edge. 1st I got some heavy paper or 30 pack beer cardboard and traced out the stk opening, and cut it out to use as a template. I wanted the frt and rear angles of the stk opening. I then figured out the opening size I wanted and traced the opening with the template on to the rear 1/4's with a permanent marker. Once the opening I wanted was traced, I then drew another line about a 1/2 inch on the inside of my opening line, which represented where I was going to cut. I wanted to fold the sheet metal around the opening like the stk opening was and not have a sharp unfinished edge. I then cut the sheet metal on the inside line with tin snips or whatever. There are several ways to make the fold, 1 using pliers and 2 using a piece of angle iron clamped or held to the inside of the fender along the new opening line, I used both. To start the folding process I used pliers/channel locks/visegrips, putting the nose of the pliers to my traced opening line and started to begin folding, but only bending a little bit at a time, moving along the opening line. I worked it over and over a little at a time. After that I clamped or held the angle iron on the inside of the 1/4's along the opening line as backing and slowly hammered/tapped along the edge to be folded. You have to hammer/tap along the whole edge being folded. don't try to do 1 spot at time. Initially, hit closer to the edge you cut. Again, I worked it over and over a little at time. The curves are tricky. I also used a dolly or whatever else I could find to help in making a clean bend. Once the bends are clearly defined you can be a little more aggressive to get a clean edge, again using angle iron or a dolly as backing on inside of the 1/4 along the opening edge. The corners will probably wrinkle a little on the folded edge, but not on the exposed edge. I started folding on the bottom vertical openings 1st, on the horizontal edge I started folding in the center of the opening, I think.
yea lots of people have done it, what I need is pictures to see the finished prduct so I can replicate it hopefully.

Top Bottom