Custom Shift Knobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The transfer case shifter on my Fj40 has an old aluminum Hurst style handle on it. I can live with that...kinda cool 8)
The tranny shifter just has the oem black plastic with the shift-pattern cap missing. I thought this an opportune time to find a cool knob,preferably aluminum to match the Hurst. It can't be very big,like the Hurst, because the oem knob hits my leg now when I shift into reverse. Any ideas?

I always crack the insert out of the plastic knobs and epoxy them into a hardwood blake, than turn it on the lathe. You could do the same with alu or brass. Also metal knobs suck in the winter were I live.

If you get the right drill and tap, you can make just about anything into a shift knob. You can also drill a hole big enough to epoxy the correct size nut in or use something like Belzona or Devcon metal epoxy (with release agent on the gearshift threads) if whatever you are using won't take tapping. I have used cue balls on a few cars, those are nice and smooth. If your shifter hits your leg, you could probably bend the the lever a little to clear your leg. I have seen an ad in Four Wheeler for knobs made of round rocks. A guy I knew in Florida had a wooden model of his truck as a shift knob.

Also, we buy a lot of stuff from these guys where I work. They have pages and pages of different knobs, though the metric selection is not as wide as SAE
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I am not sure if they do non-commercial sales, but it is a good place to find all sorts of miscellaneous stuff.

i have a chrome skull for mine they are at napa for 3 bucks 8)

I made a set of aluminum ones for my cruiser but havent put them in yet. I would draw a pic of what you would like and bring it to a friend with a metal lathe and have them make it for you. Even a machine shope might. They are easy to make and dont take long. taping is no prob. I would rather make one because no one else will have it, like high schoolers with "pimp" cars.

Here is one I had a friend make for me. I drilled the bottom and glued in a nut with the right threads.

i gotta go make my own now any ideas for my "pimp" car

how about adapt a stress ball for the nob, nice and comfy :)

metal nobs are a bitch in summer too, how many shifts do you do before your hand burns off ?

i had a 76 fj40 come in to my old job a long time ago with hurst type t-shifters on both .... the 4 sp shifter was parrellel with your leg ang gave you more room in rev ...if that makes sence it even felt good shiftin it too

I like the size of a billiard ball. I use an 8-ball and it fits well in my hand. It doesn't get overly hot or cold as far as I've noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom