Custom Heritage Land Cruiser Camper! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

2021_toyota_land-cruiser_BaT_9-1-11579.jpg

Pretty well known build. I bet it brings $200K+.

The Overland Journal Podcast episode from September 1, 2022 Scott Brady interviewed the owner Greg Miller. There were supposed to be seven of them built for the next E7 expedition. He mentioned he would be keeping a few for himself for those future travels and then a few would be available for sale to the general public so maybe this is one of those? If I had to guess based off of what I have seen from the Maltec pricing I'd wager it was in the $300K range. It'll be interesting to see where this one ends up on BAT.

Last edited:
Maltec is the best way for 1/2 people to explore via Land Cruiser.

As much as I love it, for that kind of money I'd have a Unimog or MAN based camper/house lol.

Young and powerful 31yr old testicles for trade for one

If there was ever a truck in need of a 40 gal LRA, it would be that one. Surprised it only has a 12.5 gal aux.

I’d prefer a F250/350 turbo diesel platform (or similar) for a build such as that.

Maltec is the best way for 1/2 people to explore via Land Cruiser.

I agree 1000%. None of us will like the price of this example but I can't imagine a more optimal way for a couple to explore.

I've seen how the Earthroamers or even how large full size truck builds often turns out. Bigger is not better when it starts becoming limiting on trails. Either for width, height, weight, etc. This Maltec should be able to roam just about anywhere a normal 200-series can go, and that's practically everywhere. I especially like that they paid attention to weight so performance doesn't suffer.

Now if only I had time and reason to build such a thing.

As much as I love it, for that kind of money I'd have a Unimog or MAN based camper/house lol.
I think that thing is really for people who are not in an either or financial situation. It’s for the “both” crowd.

I agree 1000%. None of us will like the price of this example but I can't imagine a more optimal way for a couple to explore.

I've seen how the Earthroamers or even how large full size truck builds often turns out. Bigger is not better when it starts becoming limiting on trails. Either for width, height, weight, etc. This Maltec should be able to roam just about anywhere a normal 200-series can go, and that's practically everywhere. I especially like that they paid attention to weight so performance doesn't suffer.

Now if only I had time and reason to build such a thing.

Lots of negative feedback/press and shady work coming out of Maltec in the past few years, not sure I would hold them in such high regard.

If there was ever a truck in need of a 40 gal LRA, it would be that one. Surprised it only has a 12.5 gal aux.

I’d prefer a F250/350 turbo diesel platform (or similar) for a build such as that.

Looks like they wanted two spares: one in the normal spot and one in the side accessed compartment. Kinda crazy to take up interior space with a spare though. Nothing is more precious than interior space on a long trip.

Lots of negative feedback/press and shady work coming out of Maltec in the past few years, not sure I would hold them in such high regard.

They definitely had some serious vaporware about firing up their US operation. Seems to have fizzled out now. But it was strangely promoted up by a notable member here.

They definitely had some serious vaporware about firing up their US operation. Seems to have fizzled out now. But it was strangely promoted up by a notable member here.

I am talking swapped VIN's on a 70 Series Cruiser that they played dumb on, orders that go nowhere, lack of communication with clients, etc.

Yeah, I've seen some of it and there's some mess behind the curtains. I'm never going to be the type to be one of their customers. Just appreciating the architecture and design choices they made.

I've often toyed with buying a second 200-series just to build out for hobby. Maybe sell, maybe not. Doesn't really matter as I enjoy the process. Maybe get commissions to build such things or career change. Then reality sets in LOL.

Yeah, I've seen some of it and there's some mess behind the curtains. I'm never going to be the type to be one of their customers. Just appreciating the architecture and design choices they made.

I've often toyed with buying a second 200-series just to build out for hobby. Maybe sell, maybe not. Doesn't really matter as I enjoy the process. Maybe get commissions to build such things or career change. Then reality sets in LOL.

Same here, much love/appreciation for what they are, no doubt, but I am not their demographic. I'd love to have a second 200 to get raw with, but I'd much rather build out a 60 from my birth year instead and that's likely the direction I'll go. I have too many other hobbies fighting for my free time and funds, there's just never enough of either lol.

I love Maltec rigs, they seem like the perfect overland build.

Unfortunately they do seem to have some "questionable" builds out there, biting some people in the ass.

Skip to 9:20 for their Maltec experience.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom