CT 90 spare gas can holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have to build it, mount it to the rack would ya. Like the others have said, DON'T bolt it to the fender. It is not nearly strong enough. You could hang brackets down from the rack, and use the fender as a tie in to support the bracket, but you can't use the fender to support weight. You are asking for trouble in short order.

The spot I attached to on the fender is meant to support a spare gas can already. The factory can is a bit smaller, more compact and different support, obviously... I think it'll be ok. I'm going to run it for a while as is and see how it works out. I 'm sure it will be fine.

If I do think there is a problem, I will tie it into the rack. :cheers:

Here's a pic of a factory "canteen" It is not attached to the rack at all. It's only support is from the fender.

11931438.jpg

The spot I attached to on the fender is meant to support a spare gas can already. The factory can is a bit smaller, more compact and different support, obviously... I think it'll be ok. I'm going to run it for a while as is and see how it works out. I 'm sure it will be fine.

If I do think there is a problem, I will tie it into the rack. :cheers:

Here's a pic of a factory "canteen" It is not attached to the rack at all. It's only support is from the fender.

11931438.jpg

Actually the factory canteen bracket is attached to a very beefy bracket that arches over the fender and ties into the same structurally hardened spots that the cargo rack attaches to. Its attachments to the lower fender, which is the only attachment point for yours, just stiffen it up a bit and spread the stress.

Oh wait, here's a pic of the one I took off and gave to Jman:

auxtankbracket.jpg

The CT90 fender is pretty strong and yours is probably fine, but maybe not. :bounce: If you have problems I would look for one of these brackets on eBay. They are one of the hardest parts to find though. :doh:

:cheers:
auxtankbracket.jpg

Last edited:
Actually the factory canteen bracket is attached to a very beefy bracket that arches over the fender and ties into the same structurally hardened spots that the cargo rack attaches to. Its attachments to the lower fender, which is the only attachment point for yours, just stiffen it up a bit and spread the stress.

Oh wait, here's a pic of the one I took off and gave to Jman:

View attachment 300718

The CT90 fender is pretty strong and yours is probably fine, but maybe not. :bounce: If you have problems I would look for one of these brackets on eBay. They are one of the hardest parts to find though. :doh:

:hmm: I didn't look that closely at DD's setup. You are right.

It would be pretty easy to make a new "mount" since I have more 1/2" steel.

I made a run to the motorcycle wrecking yard a couple weeks ago, but he was closed. :doh:

This is the place the PO of my bike purchased the spare engine, so he might have that bracket. :hmm:

:hmm: I didn't look that closely at DD's setup. You are right.

It would be pretty easy to make a new "mount" since I have more 1/2" steel.

I made a run to the motorcycle wrecking yard a couple weeks ago, but he was closed. :doh:

This is the place the PO of my bike purchased the spare engine, so he might have that bracket. :hmm:

you might check with semlin, I hear that he has a few parts for these bikes

you might check with semlin, I hear that he has a few parts for these bikes

Good idea, although if he does have one, he'll probably be using it....

I will send him a pm right now to see....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom