CSF RADIATOR PART # (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I converted my 60's power steering cooling to the bottom of a new CSF radiator (normally used for the 62 transmission cooler). I posted info in a thread somewhere.

ATF works best, and the pump works best when the fluid is above 165° F (but not too hot). The bottom heat exchanger is the coolest part of the radiator. When I tested mine, the fluid never got over maybe 150° F and the pump worked great on cold mornings and cold days.

When I did run into power steering pump problems in the morning (groaning and reduction of assist) was when I ran a big outboard tranny cooler in front of the radiator. The fluid was always too cool and the pump didn't run right until the while engine bay heated up.

The downside of using the bottom heat exchanger in the radiator for the PS ATF, is they're both tied together. If the radiator developed a pinhole leak into the heat exchanger tank, coolant would end up in the ATF.
Also changing the ATF for a flush is more of a chore because it takes longer to purge all the bubbles. But they purge.

If I were to do it all over again, (in another life) I'd do it the same way. Use the radiator as a heat exchanger.

Thanks for the input Output. I'll look for that post of yours...

Gentleman... I’m trying to determine if my current radiator is a CSF2708? Are the CSF radiators stamped in a specific location showing manufacturer and model number? Anybody know the warranty?

I checked my '87 which had the 2708 installed 17? Years ago, and the metallic sticker (1" long x 1/4" tall @ top right of rad) has a watermark indicating lifetime warranty. But no indication of model 2708. I think the ink rubbed off, I can still see the CSF logo, and to check, I looked at the '88- same form of radiator, but no sticker. My fj40 also has the sticker, diff. model rad tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom