Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much to update here, between working on my new shop and my temporary infatuation with my new FJ40 this truck has just been sitting since i realized how tweaked the core support is. I did get another core support and hood a few weeks ago so I’ll get them swapped out and start daily driving this thing again once it cools down a little.
I did put a brand new hydrobooster and new MC in, and have a brand new rear driveshaft as well that needs to go in.
I also got the tweaked up winch mount cut out, but my frame horns are pulled inwards so i need to press them apart to get the new winch plate in.

I did get a fun present from @shipmag though!

C8CCA064-1B99-4B82-9CBD-03E7511147EF.jpeg

Not much to update here, between working on my new shop and my temporary infatuation with my new FJ40 this truck has just been sitting since i realized how tweaked the core support is. I did get another core support and hood a few weeks ago so I’ll get them swapped out and start daily driving this thing again once it cools down a little.
I did put a brand new hydrobooster and new MC in, and have a brand new rear driveshaft as well that needs to go in.
I also got the tweaked up winch mount cut out, but my frame horns are pulled inwards so i need to press them apart to get the new winch plate in.

I did get a fun present from @shipmag though!

View attachment 2770302
Matt, is that sticker still available or custom?

Gear shift instructions

@shipmag makes them. It’s not a sticker, it’s screen-printed stainless steel. I had him do this one custom for me but he has an entire selection available! They’re really nice!!

A
@shipmag makes them. It’s not a sticker, it’s screen-printed stainless steel. I had him do this one custom for me but he has an entire selection available! They’re really nice!!

ah…ok. Have been needing one for the glove box on my 60. They stick on vs the metal ones for the 40

I never posted pics of my wreck, it hurts to look at but may give others some good insight into what a 30mph head-on collision into a solid tree looks like with a heavy steel bumper.

978135B5-75FE-47C5-BF4E-3B33F59C65CA.jpeg

F0BF8917-FAD2-41B5-9B9C-B17782CE8784.jpeg

CE56FA8F-04B0-4B36-B994-7EF0B457D20F.jpeg

9FD981DB-B390-4970-81D0-9A1C47AF0193.jpeg

Last edited:
Motor mounts tweaked badly. Hard to tell in the second pic but the rubber Trailblazer mount is torn.

not sure what I am going to do about this yet. Engine still looks fine in the engine bay, might just live with it for now and cut them out and weld in a set of the swap mounts that I sell later.

38D7079A-9143-48B2-95A0-1159685C7317.jpeg

672838B6-1E22-4A10-A501-B79F941E0BDD.jpeg

For some reason on the ride home from NC I blew out both rear u-joints. Not sure why. My best guess is that when the truck slammed down when it jumped down the hill the slip yoke fully extended and didn’t slide back together happily.

either way, both yokes got damaged so that whole driveshaft is junk. Got a new one on closeout on Rockauto for $120 so not worth dealing with a used junkyard one. (I run a Gx470 front shaft as the rear).

AE950A40-78F7-43A6-89D5-4781178639B1.jpeg

I was able to fix my broken winch for about $50 (amazon link pictured, i ended up buying the same part on Ebay though) so that was nice.

23E2AE6C-C485-4099-93F2-645E637CF3F6.jpeg

D01D6069-D42E-4350-AEEC-D9BA07CCAD4B.png

Also I think I alluded to it but didn’t mention directly, but at the beginning of this year I dropped out of college and made working on Cruisers my life. If anyone’s interested they can read about those antics here:

Getting really close to being ready to move into my permanent shop.

A31A832F-04FF-4EF0-BA64-790D1783F36D.jpeg
4C7C9306-14E6-433D-ACD1-9A4CC0EDEA3B.jpeg

Is the frame bent?

not really from what I can tell. My front frame horns are pulled in about 1/2” from the winch plate being pushed up. All the welds held.

I will take some good pics of what my wrecked bumper mounts look like off the truck. I intentionally left a sort-of crumple zone in them that I think prevented way more damage to the truck/me.

not really from what I can tell. My front frame horns are pulled in about 1/2” from the winch plate being pushed up. All the welds held.

I will take some good pics of what my wrecked bumper mounts look like off the truck. I intentionally left a sort-of crumple zone in them that I think prevented way more damage to the truck/me.
Can you just heat up that motor mount and bend it back straight? At least you didn't crack the block or bend the frame. Sorry about the accident. Looks like a hard hit from the pics. Maybe its time to put a fj55 body on that frame:cautious:. Ill stop giving you ideas that take lots of work now. Good example of why you don't want too strong of a bumper at times.

Can you just heat up that motor mount and bend it back straight? At least you didn't crack the block or bend the frame. Sorry about the accident. Looks like a hard hit from the pics. Maybe its time to put a fj55 body on that frame:cautious:. Ill stop giving you ideas that take lots of work now. Good example of why you don't want too strong of a bumper at times.

i have daydreamed about putting a FJ55 body on it… but Id probably have even more rust issues with that then I do now!

I have another core support to swap, another hood, and two fresh fenders (from Venezuela without vents or marker lights) so I’ll be good to go for another few years.

Heres what the bumper mounts look like. Im wondering now if I would have had even less issues if I hadn't boxed the bottom.

61652787-3E60-42E1-8056-2BEF1A628822.jpeg

Also I think I alluded to it but didn’t mention directly, but at the beginning of this year I dropped out of college and made working on Cruisers my life. If anyone’s interested they can read about those antics here:

Getting really close to being ready to move into my permanent shop.

View attachment 2770422View attachment 2770423
Good for you! That’s probably the wisest move you’ve made in years.

EB3E3464-7179-4BFF-9B18-35E62F82F8E5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom