Builds Cruisermatt's FJ62 Build-up (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe I’ll try to convert this one to 4WD, I swore I’d quit doing stuff like that though.

There's a time and a place for that kind of project...

Yeah, it’s a ZF 8HP-70. Out of a 2016 2WD Ram.

I actually need the 4wd version to work with the Axis adapter. But this one was cheap enough to just buy to check out and get a feel for. I also want to see how the Hellcat converter compares dimensionally and if it will fit.

Maybe I’ll try to convert this one to 4WD, I swore I’d quit doing stuff like that though.
Or run it to a divorced atlas, tons, bazinga

Or run it to a divorced atlas, tons, bazinga

Why lol

Seriously though this truck has met 100% of my goals with a pair of axles that i am invested maybe $1000-1200 into both?
$550 RCVs, $300 for two used lunchbox lockers (actually only have a front locker right now), $150 used high steer

I think I did get the 80 rear for free though. That was so long ago at this point I can’t remember what/if I paid for it

Mostly kidding, but I see that 2wd yoke on the trans and that's where my mind wanders....

will probably just get a $400-600 4wd transmission when the time comes.
I only paid $100 for the 2wd one so I figured it was worth it to have a core handy, or put it into one of my cars.

What's the plan for the trans' controller?

What's the plan for the trans' controller?

Looking into this one.

More ramble time.
I would say I am a year out, minimum from this project. I don't have time for another big custom swap this year and I want to do another cross country trip this year. Tentative plan is to do a complete refresh on the truck kinda as it is in the next few months, fix the 3rd gear syncro, throw a bearing kit/inspection at the doubler, reseal everything, I have a much stronger late-model bellhousing to install as well as convert to internal slave, and redo the exhaust (AKA excuse for turbo install). And fix my motor mounts. I'm a bit torn there between cutting both sides completely out and putting in one of my swap mount kits or just fixing the one side's bent tabs, and replacing the trailblazer mount that the rubber tore and simply bolting a new one in. leaning towards that.
Thinking I will pull motor regardless as I have two stripped bellhousing bolt holes and I have some sweet valve springs I can install. Maybe a cam too. We'll see.

That is all pleeenty of work for me to accomplish between now and August :lol:

Checked out the tuner you linked. Looks like some great control. Really like the remote tuning potential. I've spent hours going back on forth on tunes and since I upgraded the unit I was using I still don't have it dialed in to how I exactly want it. My opinion is that it would be worth it to have a pro dial these kind of controllers in.

People really underestimate the amount of time that goes into shifting/driveability tuning at OEMs. Not exactly an action item that goes to an intern to knock out in a couple weeks.

I've owned a forklift for like 10 months now and only just now gotten time to poser flex my truck :)
Also put it on the lift today and saw the left rear shock finally broke completely. I would like to redo them with a complete new crossmember assembly. and then cut the original completely out.
For now it drives surprisingly well with only three shocks. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if it's been broken for a few weeks now.

"those springs won't last a year like that"

I'm in the middle of a three week 80 LS swap for a friend right now, as soon as that's done this pig will go into the friend's/family bay and get torn down for a light refresh. This poor truck is in desperate need :(

277759148_2498676643601443_4817270047643756621_n.jpg

277820015_2498677283601379_6370677825309627862_n.jpg

7BF7EC2B-D8F2-4242-975C-56363433BEE8.jpeg

I've owned a forklift for like 10 months now and only just now gotten time to poser flex my truck :)
Also put it on the lift today and saw the left rear shock finally broke completely. I would like to redo them with a complete new crossmember assembly. and then cut the original completely out.
For now it drives surprisingly well with only three shocks. :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if it's been broken for a few weeks now.

"those springs won't last a year like that"

I'm in the middle of a three week 80 LS swap for a friend right now, as soon as that's done this pig will go into the friend's/family bay and get torn down for a light refresh. This poor truck is in desperate need :(

View attachment 2971047
View attachment 2971048
View attachment 2971052
What bump stops are you using? The flex looks really nice,

What bump stops are you using? The flex looks really nice,

fronts are 80 bumpstops, same as 60 basically with 1" extensions built-in, but they dont actually line up with the 60 mounting holes, airbags are my rear bumpstops

Love the backup axles.

I'm conflicted, I may actually may stop carrying them! I have never needed them, and definitely don't see myself ever breaking them or anything else in the rear end with the open rear. I stopped carrying spare fronts after the second trip with the RCV's up front.

I have not been spent hardly any time or money on this truck or any of my own projects really in the last year or so but some things need to be addressed before this year’s planned summer wheeling trips. Decided to splurge a bit and get some FROR keyed arms, 25mm bearing upgrade and billet lower caps. Also got a full set of offset heims to try, my tie rod rubs the spring plates a little at full lock, and I want to decrease the steering ratio (notice the arms aren't drilled for TRE’s) which would make the issue worse , hopefully these are the Easy Button

B519ECA4-C716-4969-AB69-7E23CD5A71AE.jpeg

BB443C01-A19D-426B-A7DA-F6D46C42A9B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Minor update. Been just slammed with the shop and its been stupid hot out so haven’t been super interested in wrenching outside of work much this summer. Also been driving the 40 more and just started another project car.

Still haven’t gotten to the FROR arms, but did spend some a few weeks ago and gave my current heims some clearance with the grinder so I actually have my full left turning radius back which is so nice. Also re-routed the ram hoses, and found a I had a crushed brake line so re routed both front axle lines. Used an 80 series brake way I had and moved it a bit lower on the housing. Flipped the ram over and ran the hoses under the tie rod which gave them a much nicer flowyness.
Sorry these pics are awful.

770FEF4A-0E4E-4819-B8FA-0FB15FA88C27.jpeg

7B7675F1-5886-45CE-96E6-1EC48AE81C8F.jpeg

I got a good deal on a pair of 12” Foxes so I did get those swapped on up front over the weekend as well as finally fixing the other rear shock mount that finally let go last year.

Old front shocks were 14” 5125’s with the regular 255/70. They were good for the first two years or so but after 60-70k miles and a lot of abuse they had gotten pretty soft.

Feels good to go from one good rear shock and two worn-out Bilsteins to four firm Fox’s. :lol:

At some point I would like to replace the front shock frame mounts with a new pair of the same F250 mounts but cut them and angle the upper bolt in about 2”, my tires will occasionally rub the shocks at full flex as they are now

125E7F04-29FE-4D17-9471-EEED017C4770.jpeg

1B043A7C-C7A9-4E49-A248-580E33123D13.jpeg

8D31E395-7E1C-47DD-8476-407182A278AF.jpeg

B354A1EF-3A8D-4192-8DC0-4F9DE60AC226.jpeg

1E510EBA-DCBF-476A-9B82-C6C4ED7D7B0A.jpeg

And I think this weekend was the first time both of my complete Cruisers are running, driving, street-able and inside my own shop at the same time. :) even if only for a few hours.

I have a few other fun odds and ends to do, I got a complete set of new JL speakers as most of mine are blown out, I lasered new tabs for my front bumper so I will finally
get that rebuild, going to re wire the winch, lights, a lot of stuff that was really slapped together for the 2020 West trip

016B569F-EE9E-4EC6-88FA-44B3BE820494.jpeg

DC33D4BA-007B-4C25-AC65-4F47D7E18F4B.jpeg

0B8E1249-2FF9-4D05-911E-F4338D9A0F08.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom