Cruiser Shopping....2014 vs 2016 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2019 with a black interior. My brother has a 2013 LC with a tan interior. I once had a 2008 with a tan interior. This weekend, I was riding in his LC and realizing just how much more I liked the tan. I am not sure at what point black became trendy for car interiors, seems like it was 10 years ago or so, but it makes the car feel smaller and darker for sure. @TheIcemanCometh

Always buy the newest vehicle you can afford. The 16+ and especially the 18+. The 8 speed is awesome. I had a Tundra with the 6 and they don't compare. The 8 is so much better on long uphill roads. it will lock up the torque converter first and then downshift to 7th as opposed to the 6 shifting to 5th. Your tachometer doesnt lie. The difference is huge. Unless you are watching the tach you won't notice the downshift on the 8. The 6 speed is a great transmission but the 8 is next level.

The headlights on the 16+ are the best I have ever seen. I have owned Mercedes GL550 and 2 X5's. Both have awesome lights. Honestly you rarely need high beams on the LC, the lows have the smoothest widest beam with fantastic throw. Before I bought my LC I cross shopped an LX 570. On paper the 570 lights should own the LC's but they don't.

The 14 is a fantastic truck but the 16 plus is better in most every way. Good luck with whatever you end up with, you win eather way.
It is funny how personal these kinds of decisions are. Everything you like in the 16+ is a reason why i haven’t even thought of ‘upgrading’ my 2015. I love the 6 speed tranny for cruising, towing, and offroad. Not a fan of the new headlights at all. Really dont like the 16+ IP with the chrome plastic and flimsy buttons and knobs. And very strongly dislike power tailgates (2018+). But that’s just one man’s opinion. Either way, OP, enjoy whatever you buy!

Last edited:
Just for clarity sake, the '16 doesn't have a power tailgate.

It is funny how personal these kinds of decisions are. Everything you like in the 16+ is a reason why i haven’t even thought of ‘upgrading’ my 2015. I love the 6 speed tranny for cruising, towing, and offroad. Not a fan of the new headlights at all. Really dont like the 16+ IP with the chrome plastic and flimsy buttons and knobs. And very strongly dislike power tailgates (2018+). But that’s just one man’s opinion. Either way, OP, enjoy whatever you buy!
I'm glad you love your 15! It's a great feeling to know that you have the best 200 for you isn't it? Happy Holidays!

Was in the same boat as the OP... Wanted to spend ~45k. Assumed I wanted a 2016 and was willing to give $50k+ for that but found a '13/'14 that had 42k miles and the dealer was creative in getting me warranties, Toyota care, etc. Used some of the extra scratch to replace all lighting inside and in the front of the truck, etc.

Sure, it doesnt have an app to start it like the wife's truck but.... is missing absolutely nothing. FWIW, I actually love the newer interior of the '16+'s... I like chunky dials but I went with where I could find the best deal. After driving a few I realized I'd fall hard for either.

Good luck - I got lucky, with a 4 hour drive, I got my search wrapped within 1.5 wks :)

Was in the same boat as the OP... Wanted to spend ~45k. Assumed I wanted a 2016 and was willing to give $50k+ for that but found a '13/'14 that had 42k miles and the dealer was creative in getting me warranties, Toyota care, etc. Used some of the extra scratch to replace all lighting inside and in the front of the truck, etc.

Sure, it doesnt have an app to start it like the wife's truck but.... is missing absolutely nothing. FWIW, I actually love the newer interior of the '16+'s... I like chunky dials but I went with where I could find the best deal. After driving a few I realized I'd fall hard for either.

Good luck - I got lucky, with a 4 hour drive, I got my search wrapped within 1.5 wks :)
I can’t start my 2020 Cruiser with my phone so you’re not missing out.

To be fair, we did it once and were super impressed on a snowy-morning. Then my wife got locked out of the app and now randomly asks me to make sure her car is locked.... so.... not exactly the most useful of features for us. Would be WAY better if you could use the phone as a key.... think I saw Hyundai doin' it.

Still clunky compared to the 6 speed. I feel up and downshifts occasionally under different driving conditions.

The 8 speed is awesome. I had a Tundra with the 6 and they don't compare. The 8 is so much better on long uphill roads. it will lock up the torque converter first and then downshift to 7th as opposed to the 6 shifting to 5th. Your tachometer doesnt lie. The difference is huge. Unless you are watching the tach you won't notice the downshift on the 8. The 6 speed is a great transmission but the 8 is next level.

Interesting to see these differing opinions. I have 2015 with 6-speed and purposely went for it to "avoid" 8-speed (and save cash). Recently test drove a new 21 with 8-speed, but only drove up to 50 mph speeds so not enough to form an opinion. In < 50mph driving felt normal and not really different than the 6-speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom