Cruiser Outfitters Tech Articles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
Last edited:
I've read all of those in the past - good stuff.

One thing I've noted regarding the 12V fridges (the new ARB fridge in particular) - it seems to have a high draw when the compressor first starts up. If you have a sub-optimal 12 volt connection (like many 12v cigarette plugs), the voltage drop at the starting load can cause the system to shut back down because of the low voltage protection. This seems to be more problematic when the truck is parked as the battery starts to drop to just under 12 volts. Not to mention those cig plugs like to wiggle themselves free....

A few of us in the Colorado area are going to replace the traditional 12v socket with Anderson plugs to see if they can hold a better connection (undoubtedly) and support the initial draw better so the fridge doesn't decide to turn my ice cream sandwiches into milk shakes.. These plugs seem to be pretty popular with the Aussies for their 12v accessories.

Amazing!

Kurt,

This is why your the best!
I don't know how I got so lucky to have a vendor like you in my backyard. Thanks!

I've read all of those in the past - good stuff.

One thing I've noted regarding the 12V fridges (the new ARB fridge in particular) - it seems to have a high draw when the compressor first starts up. If you have a sub-optimal 12 volt connection (like many 12v cigarette plugs), the voltage drop at the starting load can cause the system to shut back down because of the low voltage protection. This seems to be more problematic when the truck is parked as the battery starts to drop to just under 12 volts. Not to mention those cig plugs like to wiggle themselves free....

A few of us in the Colorado area are going to replace the traditional 12v socket with Anderson plugs to see if they can hold a better connection (undoubtedly) and support the initial draw better so the fridge doesn't decide to turn my ice cream sandwiches into milk shakes.. These plugs seem to be pretty popular with the Aussies for their 12v accessories.

Great point, your absolutely correct. It seems that most fridge operation issues are related to improper wiring or bad connections. We really recommend the ARB 12V harness kit or the Engel Posi-Fit harness as it helps eliminate not only the small diameter wiring found in many OE cigs plugs but both offer a far more positive locking system on the plug itself.

In the case of the Engel it actually screws the sides of the plug together 100% solid connection. The ARB uses a Hella style plug, so you remove the red plastic adapter on your current ARB 12V cord and it now slips into their flush mount plug far more securely than a standard 12V outlet/cig lighter receptacle.

Kurt,

This is why your the best!
I don't know how I got so lucky to have a vendor like you in my backyard. Thanks!

Thanks Micah, its been a pleasure getting to have you as a customer. It was even more a pleasure watching your face when your pops aired out your Cruiser :D

I wanted to add... see a product on our site that you would like to know more about? Let me know and I'll see what we can't do :D

Do carry sliders for an FJ80?

Hello toolmanwatson1,

We do carry the ARB step/side rail combo units:
Cruiser Outfitters

If your looking for a more traditional slider there are plenty of great options out there. We've installed the Slee, Metal Tech and Bump-It options with great results. Check them out and see which one fits you needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom