Crawl Ratios (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Scottsdale, AZ Republic of Texas by Birth
Website
www.pinnaclehomeimprovement.net
What crawl ratio do you guys run? My 33:1 on 35's with f motor scared the hell out of me on a hill climb yesterday! I HATE my crawl ratio!:bang: I am making my plan for motor and tranny, transfer combo now. I want best performance per $ combo. Ideas? Flame?

Howdy! I suffer the same problem on my Piggy. I tend to go thru obstacles somewhat quicker than most, as my only option is to live on the clutch, which I refuse to do. Assuming you are running the original H42 transmission, you could easily swap in an H41. It is a direct fit, and the 1st gear is a lot lower. Don't know the ratios right off the top of my head, but a quick search would pop up the info. Next choice would be either an H55F 5 speed, or swap in an SM 420 or SM 465. Bolth of these old chevy truck trannies have the Granny Low gear in 1st. I had one in my 72 FJ 40 years ago. Ya could to to an automatic, cause the troque converter makes a world of difference. Short wheel base is kind of a squeeze to add a double transfer case, but you could also consider an Atlas or some such optional transfer case with a 4:1 low range. Low gears are great for the rocks around here, but you may still want to keep it drivable on the freeway if you don't want to trailer it. John

Changing to an H41 would make a 46.8:1 ratio. Sm465=62.26, SM420=66.64. Orion=59:1, Orion and H41=80:1, Orion and 465=107:1!!!!! Anyone have an H41 laying around?

115:1 sm 420, dana 300 with 4:1, 4:10 axle gears.I think the 420 is the best bang for the buck unless you prefer an automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom