Crankcase ventilation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Threads
Folks who run the early F motors without the PCV system are you having any oil overflow issues like Arnie @oregon fj describes in this statement from his ‘64 build?:

2.) Oil leak from dipstick - Lost some oil, seems to be pushing it out the top of the dipstick tube. Since this is a ‘64 and is pre-PCV, the valve cover is vented straight to the air cleaner. So I’m assuming I’ve got too much pressure, probably from blow by, possibly sticky rings. Still seems a bit odd, as you’d think the valve cover vent should be able to take care of that easier than the dipstick tube. Or is there supposed to be a seal on the dipstick? In any case, before the next oil change (soon) I will dump some ATF into the cylinders and let it soak for a couple of days, as that in the past has helped free up stuck rings on prior vehicles for me. Will have to see if that helps.

Arnie didn’t follow-up on this that I could find, not sure if he‘s checking in on Mud anymore.

Anyway, I’m seeing this on my early ‘64 motor in my ‘63. I have the vent tube in my valve cover with a filter on it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I shined the bat light on the clouds. Will see if Arne responds.

Thanks @HelloKitty65 for pinging me.

I guess I never followed up on that. Turns out that in my case it was not the dipstick at all. The "leak" was from the base of the oil filler neck, and the leakage was blown back by the fan. I used Toyota FIPG sealant at the base to the filler tube, and made certain the tube support near the top was in place and secure. I may have mentioned this in the build thread as fixing the filler tube leak, but failed to tie the two together.

Thanks Arne @oregon fj. I do remember that and used that as guidance for installing my fill tube using FIPG. No leaks from there.

So my issue of oil out the top of the dipstick tube looks like another first. I’ve got a Dorman dipstick seal coming, we’ll see if that helps. I’m curious as to the introduction of a PCV system to an engine that didn’t have one in earlier variants and doesn‘t really have any design change over the old one. I surely haven’t seen anyone post anything about oil pressure issues wrt oil being forced out of orifices like the dipstick tube except for yours.

Well, as I think back on it, I think I also put a fat o-ring on the dip stick. Might have been a green viton fuel injector seal left over from any of several German cars in the past. (I never throw out old parts, much to my wife's chagrin.) I may have done that prior to the filler neck fix, and when the oil continued to leak put that out of my mind as "not the problem." But it could have been leaking as well, and if so the o-ring may have fixed that unnoticeably.

So a closer inspection indicates oil leaking at the base of the dip stick tube, not from the top. So I’ll do the same thing as the fill tube leak fix, pull it, clean it, coat it with FIPG, the press it back in. Hoping.

on edit: no it is coming out the top. I need to find a better dipstick seal. Actually couldn’t remove the tube, pressed in very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom