Craigslist Search Utility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wrote a little search utility to make my life easier when I was searching for my 80, shopping for lenses, etc. on Craigslist. I posted this some time ago on the 80 tech page. I waited until I finally got the initiative to get a domain name and get it linked with my server to make the announcement here. And I added a third search field. Anyway, here is the link:

States

There is a writeup on the 80s tech page on how to use it here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/243020-craigslist-search.html

Basically, I got tired of searching "Denver" for "Land Cruiser" and then "Landcruiser" and then "LX450" and then going and doing the same miserable thing for "Boulder" and then "Ft Collins" and then, well you get the idea.

This app lets you say what you want to look for and dispatches the queries and writes them back in one response. You can limit it so you don't have to see 56 when there are only a couple new ones per day. It also condenses the output with smaller font and packs the links a little which I like.

It will also let you search other categories other than cars, just look at the pulldown.

If there are any errors like some city doesn't work or Craigs has added a city since I last updated, go ahead and PM me and I'll fix it. Craigs has also changed the category variables from time to time so I have to tweak it every 6 mos or so.

Paul

Just thought I'd bring this up again. This was, by far, the BEST Craigslist Search Engine out there. Very simple, but VERY effective.

I hate that no one can get a response on their inquiries about the status of this utility. Could you please respond to let us know if there is any way you or someone else can get this thing up and functioning again?

I know you're not obligated to respond to any of us, but if you would, we'd surely appreciate it.......maybe one of us could take it over and get it running again. I know little to nothing about the workings of applications like this, but I'm sure there are those among us who do.

Please advise. Thanks!

Ok here is the story. I had a fixed IP for a long time. This summer I went to a bundled package for tv, internet, etc. and cut $140 off the tab but in the process lost my static IP.

That's the first problem. I could solve that by figuring out how to use Dynamic DNS.

The second problem is the first 6 years I had this running I probably had to twiddle with Craigs two times. The last two years they were constantly changing their output format and I had to adjust the parse.

So I have a couple weeks off. I'll give this a look. Both of them should be a couple hours a piece.

Paul

It has been a while since I used this Utility and was searching C-list for a couple of weeks for some vehicles/parts and remembered using this a few years ago. So I came here searching for this awesome app and was saddened to see this was gone/dead. Any word on if it ever got updated or working?

I use craigslist on a daily basis - i have used searchtempest and have noticed that it is not realtime or up to date - so i guess mostly Search Tempest must have some premium portion that someone is getting all the "goods" because by the time i get to it it is old. This utility sounds intriguing so i would like to give it a go if it is still available. So an update would be appreciated.

I too am interested in this but see its 3 years old. Any options as good or better then this? PG

I too am interested in this but see its 3 years old. Any options as good or better then this? PG

Seconding this. Has anyone found a good multi craiglist utility search? The three I have tried this evening return no results no matter the criteria I have put in, including just searching 'fj80' on all of craigslist.

searchtemptest is the best I have found

+1. This is my go to tool. Craigslist actually did some changes a while ago to prevent people from mass searching because they felt it ruined the intent of the site to be local. Anyhow searchtempest does well at getting passed those issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom