Could it really be that easy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up the 60 series tonight. Runs like a champ without the hesitation. Grand total cost was $65 for an electric fuel pump. Good enough for now. :):steer:

Mechanical one shot or cam lobe wore down I wonder :hmm: Either way it doesn't matter now though :clap:

Pics Pics. ;)

cool, if you get a wild hair pop that mechanical unit off and check it out, or maybe RredFJ40 will chime in about the one he's got off already; I wonder if there is a way for fuel to get into the block if the diaphragm fails, or if it dumps overboard, or if it just does not work?

It may not be fixed. I thought I felt a few hesitations yesterday driving around town. @#%*@. If not the fuel pump do you guys have any other ideas? Again I'm getting the feeling this means I need to become familiar with this rig and get my hands dirty.

The only things left are the carb and distributor. Maybe one of the guys on here has a distributor they could loan you for a week and that would confirm or rule out that problem. Then there is always a carb rebuild that could be done. It is a 22 year old carb, could just have sediment in it or could need an overhaul. As long as you plan it right the whole diagnosis and repair shouldn't cost more than $150, and opening both of those things up would be peace of mind in and of itself.

As the load is increased the demand for fuel increases such as when you are pulling a hard hill or towing a trailer. I am assuming that the fuel filter has been changed. Debris in the fuel system and especially the carbeurator can cause intermittent hesitation. Sometimes the ignition system will act up under a load, timing bad plug wires etc. Lean fuel mixture, accelerator pump worn out in the carb means not enough fuel on a acceleration. I found debris (bark) in my fuel tank once and it was causing a similar problem. I turned my truck off and pulled over to the side of the road to see if the carb bowl had any fuel in it- it didn't. After a fuel pump and further research I found the problem.
Its also very likely that a 22 year old truck needs the carb rebuilt and the Aisan carb is superior to the aftermarket products out there from the information I have found. If you take your rig to a mechanic every time you have a problem it will get expensive and the wife will slowly start to question why you had to have an old rig. Then again, if you are always out tinkering on it she might draw the same conclusion.
You're issue may be none of the above but once you get a 'cruiser going strong it will give you a lot of trouble free service.

cool, if you get a wild hair pop that mechanical unit off and check it out, or maybe RredFJ40 will chime in about the one he's got off already; I wonder if there is a way for fuel to get into the block if the diaphragm fails, or if it dumps overboard, or if it just does not work?

man. :frown:
you should have gotten the parts I gave to RredFJ40, there was a dizzy, fuel pump, and unrelated t-stat house, I think that last part was all he needed too.

Rred? you out there? Homie needs that dizzy for some trouble-shooting.:grinpimp: maybe the fuel pump too.

I'd start at the filter though, likely culprit if it's old.

I've got it if Jesse needs it. Anyone coming this way soon?

I'll be over there in a week or so, need to schedule still but will post up when dialed in.

I'm in deep over my head in a remodel with an exchange student coming in 3-4 weeks. Time is a bit short you might say so I don't really have time to do much of anything right now. I would appreciate any help I can get at this point. Again the rig is hesitating a bit here and there not enough to keep me from driving it right now. Any harm in driving it like this until I have more time?

if I remember the fuel filter is not a PITA, should be an hour out of your day tops.

what does the PO say about the thing or is he gone silent?:mad:

where in Southern Or are you? can a garage session be arranged? the combined might of the JSC could get you running smoothly in an afternoon I bet.

We live in Grants Pass. The fuel filter was replaced during a recent tune up. Just had dinner with the PO and he didn't have any previous issues. Let me know I can get parts ordered and I've got a nice selection of home brew at all times. My attitude is always error on the side of over doing it and replace anything that might give you trouble in the future just for peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom