Cot tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I've gotten older, I've started sleeping more and more on cots while camping... either with no tent when just catching a quick sleep or in a large multi-person tent. Last year my tent got slammed by a down burst... so I'm faced with either buying a new pole set or buying a new tent.

I am considering getting a US style "cot tent" or an Aussie style swag cot. Looking for recommendations for kit to consider. I'm a big guy... 240# and 6' 2", so want something fairly long and wide. I like something which sets up with ease and is quite stable, less concerned about weight and packed up size. I'm typically not all that short of space.

Thanks in advance!

some threads on those here and lots of reviews on youtube and online.
I have one. General impression: very convenient for quick deployment but cramped heightwise, also heavy and big when folded. A pain to deal with if raining and wet. I view them more as a bug and wind proof sleeping quarter than a rain tent. Although of course much better than sleeping in the open rain. There are some doubles if more space if wanted but IIRC there is often a bar in the middle that is problematic.

Honestly...I'd like at hammock before a cot tent. I use a Cabelas cot (load rating 350#...lol) when I sleep under the Foxwing, but I lay a Cabelas pad on it, plus my bag. The one night I did try to sleep in one, the bar hit me so bad in the back I slept on the ground. Most hammock setups have bug nets, pee bottles, a string overhead for your phone and water bottle...pretty slick...but maybe there's not many trees in the desert?

well, you only need one tree if you have the truck... :)

And then you could even run a couple of outriggers off the truck so no tree needed at all. But a cot won't even need one of those so there.

This is one of my setups: a big Cabelas outfitter cot, with an Oztent RS-1 swag set up on top of it. It fits great; the cot's about the same size as the Aussie cot they sell for the same thing. Stake lines are long enough to peg the tent down for wind. I like not having to get up off the ground. If weather is a problem, I'll sent the cot/swag under the side awning for extra sun/rain cover.

Also check out the Oztent Bunkers. I've used them for a long while now.

Also check out the Oztent Bunkers. I've used them for a long while now.
I’ve also got the Oztent Bunker Pro...
Its a great piece of gear.

The Camp-Rite system worked very well for us in my previous life... They function as a tent, cot, or lounge chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom