Correct Manual Hubs for Part-Time Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I do have an update actually. Sadly my land cruiser is gone due to medical and financial reasons....that being said my hubs are still on back order presumably. I called Joe from cruiser parts a few days ago before my surgery and he told me he'd have to check on the status of them. Still no word yet.

I am sorry to here that, hope you have a quick and full recovery.

Thank you, I really do appreciate it. It's been a long time coming so I hope so to, I will however keep everyone up to date if I receive the hubs or not. Kind of hope I do so I can keep them for the next 80.

SNIP...
I read somewhere that the superwinch hubs are supposed to lock if they break, do you happen to know anything about that? I tried to do alittle research on hubs before I posted this thread, found that mile markers, cheap warn's and AVM's are junk. Herd good things about the superwinch hubs though on bigger trucks like the F-250's.

I don't know about bigger trucks or on 80s, but my experience with the Superwinch hubs on my Isuzu was such I won't touch 'em. now It was a 93 Rodeo, came with the usual autohubs up front that are iffy in themselves, so I replaced them. Unlike with my 84 Trooper II, Isuzu claimed no part number to do this on the Rodeo, so went with Superwinch. Fortunately as they were failing I found out a Toyota part number of Aisins that crossed and all was good. Never had another issue over 16 years with them.

For an 80, I'd go with Aisin if I had the need.

Good luck with the health issues.

The Aisin longs are plug and play - got lucky to get a set from a fellow mud'er in the classfieds.... now just need to do the Vortec swap and dual stick tranny ....

pics
image.jpg

The Aisin longs are plug and play - got lucky to get a set from a fellow mud'er in the classfieds.... now just need to do the Vortec swap and dual stick tranny ....

You gots a part number on those long ones?

Not to hijack, I have a transfercase and hubs to convert an 80 into PARTIME 4x4 that is just gathering dust and would like to sell - bought form an inmate a couple of years ago and never had the opportunity to install since life happens and travel plans changed - all for the good though :)

So I an finally update this thread. Over three months later I got a suprise in the mail today, my hubs FINALLY came in. Not that it does me any good now, I don't have my land cruiser anymore. Anyone want to trade for a pretty highly built clean cherokee?

1414533562508.jpg

Which hubs?

The manual hubs is what I was referring to. Can these be swapped with out modding the transfercase for a 2whl option?

No, you'll still spin the front drive shaft and if you have a later 80 the VC will go nuts and you'll surely burn it up in the process and have to get a putty knife to pull off the AWD logo on the back because of it.

You have to pull the VC and spool in the TC and add a PT spool plus do the CD lock and 7 pin mod to get proper 2wd in part time mode.

My VC was shot so I was halfway motivated to go PT myself, it's not a hard or complicated job, plenty of write-ups about doing it just TAKE YOUR TIME and have EVERYTHING you need before you start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom