Coolant Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing some 200k service. Was going to replace the PCV valve and noticed all the pink stuff.

Is this the valley plate leak? It all looks very dry. Could explain the low coolant as well.

6DAEA4BE-59ED-4756-944B-87D1243129F1.jpeg

4E62A6FB-B945-45AC-90F9-0D978F55296B.jpeg

Yep the dreaded coolant valley leak. Had my 2013 repaired at 110,000 miles. Saw the same residue under the intake manifold and a low reservoir.

Concur. Keep coolant in it and you are good for a while as the leak doesn’t seem to get to the point of catastrophic blow-out.. but while you have plenty of time to plan it, you are in for a repair

Where exactly to check for this? I recently did spark plugs and PCV valve and didn't see this pink stuff. Also, anything that needs to be done to prevent it? My coolant level stays same so I probably do not have it right now.

Well darn!!! That sucks. But after watching some YouTube videos, it doesn’t look like a bad job at all.

Anyone know if getting access for this job would be similar access for changing the starter?

Where exactly to check for this? I recently did spark plugs and PCV valve and didn't see this pink stuff. Also, anything that needs to be done to prevent it? My coolant level stays same so I probably do not have it right now.
I would say you don’t have the issue. Look in the bottom left corner of my first picture, that’s the PCV valve. It was impossible to miss the coolant while looking at the valve.

Very different than changing the starter. Intake manifold needs to come off, then the tough part (from reading, I haven't done it yet) is removing the air injection valves and pipes from the back of the valley. With that out of the way the coolant valley plate comes up and can be resealed. Make sure you read about the updated FIPG part number.. it is very expensive, but apparently specific to address this issue.

I've seen pictures of the leak being only on the passenger side, so not sure looking under the PCV will show it in all cases. Another common indicator of the leak is evidence of white or whitish-pink streaks coming down the trans bellhousing, visible from under the vehicle. @7summits if your coolant level is staying put you should be fine.

Looks to be leaking for some time. Another tell tale would be coolant dripping of off the transmission. Dripping from the back of the engine. I actually thought mine was leaking. It turned out to be a intake inlet o ring. Dealer messed up when they did my front timing cover. Any recent or work done in the pass? Possibly a hose clamp? Think cheap and positive

Piggy backing on this recent thread rather than starting a new one. Is this where the valley plate leaking would appear or is this something else? First picture is the general area and second/third is going down past the foam padding - best picture I can get of the pink I see.

96C9CDF6-2D6B-45CC-9324-CE956734D9BE.jpeg

AFE054D9-E6A0-4E88-98F1-94D1BC300F65.jpeg

9D25B383-88F8-4439-9C9C-921546285A75.jpeg

In case it helps anyone…..reporting back. As you could see in the picture I posted on 7/11, there was just a little pink when looking down past the foam padding but not a ton. This is the only area from above or below where I could see coolant or signs of staining. I went ahead and had the valley plate cleaned and resealed to keep it from getting worse. Picture here is what it looked like opened up.

In total I paid a local Toyota Indy shop $775 for the valley plate and replacing the stopped up PCV valve while in there. Lexus wanted $1300 just for the VP.

Side bar: paid another $175 to have the bearings replaced on the drive belt tensioner as I was getting a loud squeal when idling.

547835D9-A451-4A11-B5F6-9D7E9DD37BFF.jpeg

In case it helps anyone…..reporting back. As you could see in the picture I posted on 7/11, there was just a little pink when looking down past the foam padding but not a ton. This is the only area from above or below where I could see coolant or signs of staining. I went ahead and had the valley plate cleaned and resealed to keep it from getting worse. Picture here is what it looked like opened up.

In total I paid a local Toyota Indy shop $775 for the valley plate and replacing the stopped up PCV valve while in there. Lexus wanted $1300 just for the VP.

Side bar: paid another $175 to have the bearings replaced on the drive belt tensioner as I was getting a loud squeal when idling.

View attachment 3064182
That sounds like a great price for this job..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom