COOKING.....Antelope backstrap.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh God don't smoke it! Where was it harvested? WY Pronghorn is different from NV Pronghorn taste wise: I've found NV to be sweeter and milder. But both are delicious IMO. Haven't had Pronghorn from AZ or NM yet ... I'm sure they're just as deelish.

If the animal was harvested properly: Skinned, taking care not to get hair & entrails on the meat, properly; cleaned and cooled down and allowed to form a pellicle you should have delicious meat. Most often when folks complain about strong "gaminess" it is because the animal/meat was not handled with care after it was on the ground. And/or the animal was wounded and ran a distance before dying.

Back to subject on hand: Using a mortar & pestle (or food processor if that's what you have) mash up some fresh herbs like rosemary, sage, parsley, fresh lemon zest, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper until finely pulverized. Add enough EVO to create a medium loose paste.

Cut all tendon/silverskin/sinew from the meat then cut into ~1" cubes. Rub the above herb paste all over the meat cubes and let it sit for an hour or more. If just an hour then on the counter is fine otherwise into the fridge for 1-3 days. Let the meat come up to/near room temp.

Skewer the meat ... yeah just the meat ... and grill over medium-hot coals until medium-rare.

Another even easier and just as tasty prep: Dust the meat cubes with salt & pepper and garlic if you like and let it sit covered in the fridge for a day or three. Then fondue the cubes in hot neutral oil (safflower/sunflower works well). Serve with an easy to make Tonnato sauce.

Enjoy!

Think it came from NM.

WHAT WOULD BE WRONG WITH A MARINADE AND MED RARE OVER/IN A HOT SMOKER... I find smoked meat very tender by slow cooking. Sorry for the caps lock

Hot smoked to medium rare would be fine/great. Sorry I read more into the whole smoking thing when I read "smoking" (think pork butt, brisket, etc. where long and slow works for these fatty but tough cuts of meat ... doesn't work for wild meat with near zero fat/marbling).

Hot smoked to medium rare would be fine/great. Sorry I read more into the whole smoking thing when I read "smoking" (think pork butt, brisket, etc. where long and slow works for these fatty but tough cuts of meat ... doesn't work for wild meat with near zero fat/marbling).
Yup..... I smoke lean cuts, one must use a smoker like an oven, it can cook rare and at higher temps. I use a gas smoker to have better control over the heat....

Plan on smoking some shrimp for Christmas Eve dinner.

If you want to keep it whole it works well to Reverse sear lean cuts of meat.

Cook at 225-250 on smoker until around 120 internal temp, pull off and rest, then sear on hot grill, cast iron skillet, or 550 deg oven.

If you want to keep it whole it works well to Reverse sear lean cuts of meat.

Cook at 225-250 on smoker until around 120 internal temp, pull off and rest, then sear on hot grill, cast iron skillet, or 550 deg oven.

Will wrap it in bacon like a beef tenderloin

FWIW, I would marinate in a mix of red wine, garlic, pepper, sage, and or rosemary. Or, make a paste with herbs and EVOO like Supresso said, and either way I would grill to med rare, and during the process use some wood chips for your smoke. Quick and flavorful, a little smoke, and you're done.
Good Luck, Jim

so, how did it turn out?

Have not cooked it yet. My girl wanted smoked salmon.. Will check back in when I cook it... She does like game meat, but is worried about it being too game. My friend also gave me deer and elk back strap. Can't wait to try that

Of course, everyone's palate is different but Pronghorn is my favorite meat of all: Wild or domesticated. But my good big game hunting buddy prefers moose and elk ... shows to go ya ;).

Regardless I am curious to hear what you think about your Pronghorn when you get to it.

Deer AND Elk back strap! That is a good friend. Well Supresso, what do ya think? I would grill the Elk to rare, cut on the bias, and serve the little medallions with a sauce/reduction of something (Insert Supresso's idea). Serve with sweet French green beans (Harcots Vert), sautéed wild mushrooms, and a small light rice dish on the side. Serve with a nice red wine, that is a bit subjective as we all like different wine, but I would go with a Merlot.
Fook, now I got to go figure out what I have to fix for dinner.

Prong horn is in fridge soaking in red wine, garlic, a bit of pink Himalayan salt, and oregano ... When I get home from work it will be wrapped in bacon and put on smoker for about a half hour. I will par cook the bacon so it gets crispy around the meat. Plan on cooking it whole and slicing it thin. Mushrooms sauted in wine and a salad sound like it. May change my mind depending on what looks good at grocery... Pics to come ....

Crappy pics from my tablet.... Sh rooms cooked in bacon grease onion and garlic.. Beans in bacon grease and chicken broth.. The antelope bloody as **** ... Way taste... Had to cook my chicks a bit more...
IMG_20161227_180633.jpg
IMG_20161227_183702.jpg
IMG_20161227_183645.jpg
IMG_20161227_184121.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom