Consistent beep coming from within cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey cruisers,

I have a 2000 land cruiser that I have been loving as my ski car in Montana. The other day I stopped to fill up my gas tank on my way home. When my tank was full I removed the pump and started my car up. As soon as I turn the key in the ignition (engine doesn't need to be running) a loud, consistent beep begins to ring. It sounds like it is coming from my middle media console area. No lights are lit on my dash and car seems and feels to be running fine. I have an update pioneer media unit installed as well.

I have done some research on the forums and did check if my VIN fell under those with a recalled junction block and it does not.

If anyone has any ideas on what it could be id really like to know, the beep is driving me NUTS.

Brake alarm?

Brake alarm?

On my '99 that warning seems to emanate from the left side of the dash, but might be different on different year models IDK?

But a constant 'tone' could possibly be a brake alarm (ABS light or not).

On my '99 that warning seems to emanate from the left side of the dash, but might be different on different year models IDK?

But a constant 'tone' could possibly be a brake alarm (ABS light or not).
Same on my 2000, but I’m not sure what else would produce such an alarm other than the brake system.

Same on my 2000, but I’m not sure what else would produce such an alarm other than the brake system.

Agreed. But willing to learn if someone has a different idea.

Not sure, new owner of the land cruiser so not familiar with much yet. Are you talking about a potential brake system problem or do you mean something such as an ebrake alarm?
When brake fluid is low or there’s a malfunction with the booster, a constant high-pitched tone is typically emitted from the dash. As @flintknapper noted, however, this alarm comes from the driver side dash.

Not sure, new owner of the land cruiser so not familiar with much yet. Are you talking about a potential brake system problem or do you mean something such as an ebrake alarm?

When the ABS sees low pressure (or other anomaly) a constant beep/tone sounds. Usually (but not always) accompanied by an ABS light on the dash. Most often caused by a failing ABS Pump Motor. Happen to be replacing mine as we speak.

When the ABS sees low pressure (or other anomaly) a constant beep/tone sounds. Usually (but not always) accompanied by an ABS light on the dash. Most often caused by a failing ABS Pump Motor. Happen to be replacing mine as we speak.
Any way for me to test to see if this would be the problem. I did just check all my braking and traction control on my way home and ABS locked up as well as VSC kicked in while I tried to slide it in the snow.
But also I drive up and down a 7k feet elevation of a mountain everyday so not having brakes doesn’t sound too fun.

Any way for me to test to see if this would be the problem. I did just check all my braking and traction control on my way home and ABS locked up as well as VSC kicked in while I tried to slide it in the snow.
But also I drive up and down a 7k feet elevation of a mountain everyday so not having brakes doesn’t sound too fun.

You can test certain parts of it, but IF the issue is 'intermittent' it might not tell you much.

Not saying that it is even your brakes, just one possibility.

If you do a search (in the 100 series forum) for 'ABS', 'Brake Failure' you'll get all the reading you can stand and also gain some knowledge on the subject. It's really too much to discuss here. Not trying to dodge your question.

You can test certain parts of it, but IF the issue is 'intermittent' it might not tell you much.

Not saying that it is even your brakes, just one possibility.

If you do a search (in the 100 series forum) for 'ABS', 'Brake Failure' you'll get all the reading you can stand and also gain some knowledge on the subject. It's really too much to discuss here. Not trying to dodge your question.
Totally understand, thank you for the information I’ll definitely check it out. I guess a better question if it’s something you can answer; If it is my brakes is this something could result in brake failure in the near future or am I okay to drive to work the next couple days before I get it to a shop. It’s a tough 45 minute drive through a canyon to get into Bozeman and to a shop.

Recording and posting the sound of the beep can help forum members identify if it is the brake-related buzzer, or something else

Totally understand, thank you for the information I’ll definitely check it out. I guess a better question if it’s something you can answer; If it is my brakes is this something could result in brake failure in the near future or am I okay to drive to work the next couple days before I get it to a shop. It’s a tough 45 minute drive through a canyon to get into Bozeman and to a shop.

IF its your brake warning signal and you DON'T currently have it going off...then yes you should be able to drive it UNTIL it does it again.

In reality you don't usually lose all of your brakes, you just lose 'boosted' brakes which makes it difficult to press hard enough on the brake pedal to come to a stop. I imagine there are situations where a person might also have a leaking Master Cylinder which WOULD result in greatly diminished braking.

You can do a rudimentary test but as I indicated in a previous post ....it might not prove conclusive if your issue is intermittent.

1. Key off/Engine off: Pump the brake pedal a minimum of 40 times (or until you feel the pedal lose pressure and pedal goes easily towards the floor). What this does is empty the accumulator.
2. Turn key ON (but do not start engine) and listen for the booster pump to run for 30-45 seconds then stop. It might not run continuously, this is fine, but it should build the pressure back up within 45 seconds.

IF it passes this test....then you know the system is 'capable' of supplying enough fluid pressure for your brakes to work properly. BUT it doesn't yet mean it will do it every time. As these systems age....it is common for the brushes in the booster motor to wear. Also look under the rubber caps of both wire harness leads (one at the motor, one at the ABS unit) and look for corrosion.

ABS rusty screws (5) (1).JPG

Can I just get the ABS pump motor somewhere or do I need to replace the whole Brake Booster Assembly (47050-60012)? I once sourced a motor for a 4runner and replaced just that one part, but it failed again about 2 years later. I wound up having to replace the whole assembly to really make it right.

Can I just get the ABS pump motor somewhere or do I need to replace the whole Brake Booster Assembly (47050-60012)? I once sourced a motor for a 4runner and replaced just that one part, but it failed again about 2 years later. I wound up having to replace the whole assembly to really make it right.

There is a person/company that sells just the motor. However....it is better to replace the motor and accumulator as a pair...since the accumulator is the second most common thing to fail.

Booster Pump_acc.jpg

There is a person/company that sells just the motor. However....it is better to replace the motor and accumulator as a pair...since the accumulator is the second most common thing to fail.

View attachment 2912720
Thanks for the quick answer. I just can't seem to get ahead of the repairs on my 99. Someday I will actually do some of the mods I want, but its been two years of one thing after another. I guess eventually everything will be replaced!

Edit: Oh good - another $800 part.

Thanks for the quick answer. I just can't seem to get ahead of the repairs on my 99. Someday I will actually do some of the mods I want, but its been two years of one thing after another. I guess eventually everything will be replaced!

Edit: Oh good - another $800 part.

It IS one of the major items to need replacement, but replacing the pump and accumulator and installing a master cylinder kit will have most folks up and running for the next 20 years. IF your issue is with the brake system....it is something you'll want to attend to.

The system (if it fails) will leave you without boosted brake pressure....which to most people feels and acts like NO brakes at all.

I got my unit from McGeorge Toyota. I believe it was about $720.00 shipped IIRC.

Fortunately it isn't a terribly difficult item to replace labor wise. But the brake system will need to be bled afterward.

Any good independent mechanic could do it. A dealership (understandably) will only replace the entire booster/abs system...for liability reasons. Then you're looking at a couple grand or better.

Don't give up your '99. Once you get everything sorted out....it will be reliable and trustworthy for a long time.

It IS one of the major items to need replacement, but replacing the pump and accumulator and installing a master cylinder kit will have most folks up and running for the next 20 years. IF your issue is with the brake system....it is something you'll want to attend to.

The system (if it fails) will leave you without boosted brake pressure....which to most people feels and acts like NO brakes at all.

I got my unit from McGeorge Toyota. I believe it was about $720.00 shipped IIRC.

Fortunately it isn't a terribly difficult item to replace labor wise. But the brake system will need to be bled afterward.

Any good independent mechanic could do it. A dealership (understandably) will only replace the entire booster/abs system...for liability reasons. Then you're looking at a couple grand or better.

Don't give up your '99. Once you get everything sorted out....it will be reliable and trustworthy for a long time.
Yes, don't worry. I'm keeping the faith. Fortunately I know how to do this job myself, having done it on the 4runner. Its not that different overall. Actually it should be easier. And, yes, we did lose the brakes on the 4runner eventually. On the 99, the tone just started yesterday, so I knew immediately what it was. I had to sign up for auto repair classes a few years ago to keep up with it, so I can save on labor costs. I have an '04 as well with similar mileage and they're both in the throes of needing these key components replaced. I'll get ahead of it eventually!

I like McGeorge and use them pretty often. Good service and fast shipping. Their price on this part has increased a little from when you bought it, but prices in general have. They still seem to have the best price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom