Considering swapping to a taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love my FJ and I really don't want to consider this, but I'm really missing the utility of a truck. I don't need it to tow heavy loads but I really need the easy access of the bed space. I fish at least a dozen kayak tourneys per year and roof toping a 100lb+ kayak is not easy. Pulling a trailer is still alot more hastle than just throwing the kayak in the back of a truck and rolling out.

I still want to continue to wheel and so my only choice would be a Taco. I'd love to hear your thoughts on New vs Used. If used how used? This will be my daily driver as well so I'd like some bells and whistles. Were there any major changes in the current genneration. Any years to avoid. Any must have options. How do you like the electronic 4 wheel activation vs the FJ's second shifter?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And if you know someone really in the market for an FJ mine may be available. It's a 2011 4x4 with all of the factory options and a 3" toytec lift. I'll also throw in a 2nd set of wheels and tires, front winch mount and suspension armor.

I'm certainly not 100% on this decision yet, just beginning the research.

Yeah. Also keeping an eye out for a beater truck of any kind. Just needs to be reliable for tourney trips from Baton Rouge to the coast. Just not sure if I want to add another insurance and maint bill.

Hey Chris, the tacos are great get a locker though.

Still have that winch plate?

dontcha wanna?

Yep still have the plate. It's painted and ready to be mounted but I don't want to cut my stock bumper until I decide.

If I decide to make the change ill give it back to ya.

Have they ever upgraded the engine on the taco to match the Fj?

Does the stock 4x4 taco have a factory rear locker available. I know they have atrac available on the new taco TRD edditons.

4x4fishin said:
Yep still have the plate. It's painted and ready to be mounted but I don't want to cut my stock bumper until I decide.

If I decide to make the change ill give it back to ya.

Have they ever upgraded the engine on the taco to match the Fj?

Does the stock 4x4 taco have a factory rear locker available. I know they have atrac available on the new taco TRD edditons.

The TRD offroads comes with the factory e-locker. None of the other packages do. Don't no much about 1st Tacoma's but on the 2nd gens avoid early 05's. I love my 06 165k and running strong.

So as of Wed the FJ is gone and the Taco is in the driveway. Let the mod path research begin. I had a great experience with Lakeside Toyota. I'll try to put together a write up soon.

Hey Chris if you still have that winch plate please pm me or Matt Ledet.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new rig!

dontcha wanna?

NST has a '03 4X4 Taco with a V6 and a rear locker for $14K.

what's the stats on what you got a LST?

NST has a '03 4X4 Taco with a V6 and a rear locker for $14K.

what's the stats on what you got a LST?

thanks for the heads up, right up the alley of my buddy who's looking.

I really like that '03 used taco at NST. Can we get Charles to chime in on it?

The truck

2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 5spd auto with TRD offroad package.

Includes A-trac, e lock rear dif, Down hill assist, air bag turn off button, 3 versions of traction control including none,

Every other electronic goody available including the new entune package = navigation, back up camera, in dash apps like pandora etc etc etc...

It's pretty stock right now but I'm quickly putting together a list.

Rebekah commented as soon as I got home that it needed to be lifted, so as soon as I can figure out which lift to go with it's on the way.

I'll also be putting together a list of FJ stuff I've got to sell in hopes to help fund some of these mods.

Just off hand I have the Original White knuckle sliders, a full set of Rock tek rear suspension armor, and a very nice custom built rear shelf.

Erick gave me the front winch mount at Jambo last year and I'm going to let him direct where that goes but I think it's already spoken for.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

very nice truck
so its got the pod above the rearview mirror with all the offroad controls?

That Shrockworks picture is of a 4Runner Brian

Yes, it is. But, it is listed under their website as a taco front bumper. Not sure if they have that exact model available for the taco or not. Here's a better pic of the bumper from Shrockworks on a taco:
d_918.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom