Considering a move to Knoxville... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife has a great opportunity at the University of Tennessee radiology medical group but have zero clue about the area. It’s not worth it...if the schools, crime, environment, etc. are poor. I believe we would live in the town of “Farragut” area if that makes a difference. However, she will be working at UT and I’ll be conducting business in the downtown area. From the reviews I’ve read about Knoxville were very mixed. Things like “they hate anyone that’s not from there” to “crime goes unreported” and the water and air will kill you because it’s bad and you can’t swim in the lakes and rivers because they are polluted, the traffic is terrible and people are horrible drivers etc,etc. I’ve also heard the opposite and how great it is for raising a family with many outdoor activities and the downtown area has many family type events and you’re required to say “Go Vols” during the playing season as a way of saying goodbye. Lol

We are very active and love the mountains, paddle boarding, camping, etc. and just want our young girls to be in a safe area with good schools.

My oldest is entering high school next year actually wants to attend Vanderbilt if we live in TN. She’s a very smart cookie. My youngest may end up living in my basement. Lol! Smart kid but total goof ball.

Any honest insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lots would depend on how far she's willing to commute. There are better areas in my opinion to live close to downtown. Sweetwater, TN and Athens are smaller towns outside of knoxville that have less of all the problems listed but a 30 min interstate drive to UT. I do not like the knoxville area because of the traffic and the large "city" feel. Southeast TN is a beautiful place to live for outdoors people and knoxville doesn't have that feel. But like I said, plenty of areas outside of the greater knoxville area that are great places to live. I've lived in southeast tn for 17 years and Chattanooga has been my favorite place. My buddy lives in Farragut, was just up there a few months ago. It's a growing area that is being developed with a ton of residential properties and restaurant and shopping. In 5 years, it will probably be the nicest place to live in knoxville.

Lots would depend on how far she's willing to commute. There are better areas in my opinion to live close to downtown. Sweetwater, TN and Athens are smaller towns outside of knoxville that have less of all the problems listed but a 30 min interstate drive to UT. I do not like the knoxville area because of the traffic and the large "city" feel. Southeast TN is a beautiful place to live for outdoors people and knoxville doesn't have that feel. But like I said, plenty of areas outside of the greater knoxville area that are great places to live. I've lived in southeast tn for 17 years and Chattanooga has been my favorite place. My buddy lives in Farragut, was just up there a few months ago. It's a growing area that is being developed with a ton of residential properties and restaurant and shopping. In 5 years, it will probably be the nicest place to live in knoxville.

Thanks for the reply. She would like to keep her commute under 20mins. if possible. I heard Chattanooga is beautiful.

20 Minutes is going to be a stretch from Farragut depending on the shift. 40 has gotten pretty congested and on a good day with no traffic, it's going to be right at a 25 minute drive. If traffic is working against you, probably be pushing 30-40 minutes.

And a follow-up on the schools. Wife says Farragut HS has been recognized for excellence several times in the past and recently. She has family that went to West HS as well and said it was a good system as well. Said staying west of Downtown should keep you in pretty good systems.

Knoxville is going to be more Big City than Boulder or Louisville, but is nothing like Denver. Trying to poorly give a little perspective since it looks like you are in Louisville, CO.

Also, I think we are all assuming she is working at the University, and that is where my times are going to/from, but UT pretty much is Knoxville, so if the office she is going to is a satellite away from the main campus, that will definitely impact the drive times.

Getting around Knoxville can be cumbersome during rush hours, but isn't too bad. In my opinion, it is a growing city, but with all the growth it still has some small town vibe in there. I work in Nashville and lived in Metro for over 10 years before moving to one of the surrounding counties and I will say that compared to Nashville, it still has a small town feel in many ways, but when compared to Chattanooga, feels much larger.

As far as being outdoors, for that side, I am jealous. My brother and sister-in-law are avid hikers and there are lots of great trails in the park within a short drive of town. The outdoors just seem a little closer to your door over there.

Oh and Pot is still illegal here, so make sure you don't try and bring your stash with you unless you have a prescription. I joke of course. TN is a great state. No state income tax, property taxes aren't too bad relative and no emissions over there so keeping old iron on the road is a little easier. We do have all the seasons, sometimes in the same week and hot and humid is very much a part of our summers. Sweet T is a way of life. Don't let anyone talk you into driving the loop at Cades Cove unless you have the patience of JOB, or are prepared to run over stupid people who can't read the signs. (don't stop on the roadway means don't freaking stop on the roadway!.!.!., sorry rant off)

I know moving to an unknown area is a big step, but I think you would find Knoxville and Tennessee a welcoming state, and while I don't live out that way, I would be glad to grab a beer with you if you guys end up out our way.

20 Minutes is going to be a stretch from Farragut depending on the shift. 40 has gotten pretty congested and on a good day with no traffic, it's going to be right at a 25 minute drive. If traffic is working against you, probably be pushing 30-40 minutes.

And a follow-up on the schools. Wife says Farragut HS has been recognized for excellence several times in the past and recently. She has family that went to West HS as well and said it was a good system as well. Said staying west of Downtown should keep you in pretty good systems.
Great to hear

Knoxville is going to be more Big City than Boulder or Louisville, but is nothing like Denver. Trying to poorly give a little perspective since it looks like you are in Louisville, CO.
We live in Louisville. Very small town but a very sought after place to live.

Also, I think we are all assuming she is working at the University, and that is where my times are going to/from, but UT pretty much is Knoxville, so if the office she is going to is a satellite away from the main campus, that will definitely impact the drive times.
I was just looking at the drive time as well and it’s definitely closer 40 and it dawned on me she won’t be at UT but at the University medical center which is much closer.

Getting around Knoxville can be cumbersome during rush hours, but isn't too bad. In my opinion, it is a growing city, but with all the growth it still has some small town vibe in there. I work in Nashville and lived in Metro for over 10 years before moving to one of the surrounding counties and I will say that compared to Nashville, it still has a small town feel in many ways, but when compared to Chattanooga, feels much larger.

As far as being outdoors, for that side, I am jealous. My brother and sister-in-law are avid hikers and there are lots of great trails in the park within a short drive of town. The outdoors just seem a little closer to your door over there.
Thats what i heard as well. We love hiking and fishing.

Oh and Pot is still illegal here, so make sure you don't try and bring your stash with you unless you have a prescription. I joke of course. TN is a great state. No state income tax, property taxes aren't too bad relative and no emissions over there so keeping old iron on the road is a little easier. We do have all the seasons, sometimes in the same week and hot and humid is very much a part of our summers. Sweet T is a way of life. Don't let anyone talk you into driving the loop at Cades Cove unless you have the patience of JOB, or are prepared to run over stupid people who can't read the signs. (don't stop on the roadway means don't freaking stop on the roadway!.!.!., sorry rant off)
Lol!:smokin: We don’t smoke, much to active for that stuff. Actually one of the reasons why we aren’t sad to leave. Our state is going backwards and the homeless population has blow up in Denver and Boulder because of it. The TN tax system is another reason we are considering your state. I’m not a fan of the no emissions. You got the window down and someone’s poorly maintained car blowing white smoke on you. It stinks so bad. Not healthy at all. My girls love sweet T though. I have read that Knoxville has really bad drivers. So I take they don’t know how to merge like here in Colorado. Lol

I know moving to an unknown area is a big step, but I think you would find Knoxville and Tennessee a welcoming state, and while I don't live out that way, I would be glad to grab a beer with you if you guys end up out our way.
That would be great. I’m either going to purchase a new 200 here and have Slee do the build or wait until I move there as i heard a good shop is nearby.

Thank you for taking the time and please let your wife know I really appreciate it as well. :beer:

Last edited:
If you have any specific Farragut or west Knoxville questions or needs, just let me know. I've got kids in the Farragut schools and we've lived in three different houses in Farragut over the years, so my wife is an informal, unofficial expert on real estate in the area, :)

If you have any specific Farragut or west Knoxville questions or needs, just let me know. I've got kids in the Farragut schools and we've lived in three different houses in Farragut over the years, so my wife is an informal, unofficial expert on real estate in the area, :)

Great! I have a daughter entering 6th grade next year and another headed to 9th. We have been looking at houses near Fox Den Country club area off of Axton Dr. to be exact and another off of Fox cove in the Woodlands Trace area and off of Belle Grove rd. We found one we love off of Green mtn. rd but it sits a bit close to 40 and I prefer not hearing freeway traffic. We really just want to be close to the high school because my oldest daughter is slow in getting ready for school and is always a morning battle. :bang: My wife will be working at UT medical center, so a shorter commute time would be great. We are also looking in Hardin Valley but have heard the high school is pretty crowded. Where is your wifes preferred location. I want my kids to be able to ride bikes, go to a nearby park without feeling like they are goin to get run over.

Great! I have a daughter entering 6th grade next year and another headed to 9th. We have been looking at houses near Fox Den Country club area off of Axton Dr. to be exact and another off of Fox cove in the Woodlands Trace area and off of Belle Grove rd. We found one we love off of Green mtn. rd but it sits a bit close to 40 and I prefer not hearing freeway traffic. We really just want to be close to the high school because my oldest daughter is slow in getting ready for school and is always a morning battle. :bang: My wife will be working at UT medical center, so a shorter commute time would be great. We are also looking in Hardin Valley but have heard the high school is pretty crowded. Where is your wifes preferred location. I want my kids to be able to ride bikes, go to a nearby park without feeling like they are goin to get run over.

Funny, but we love Fox Den. Older, but huge amounts of character. We looked at a lot of houses in there. Andover Place is nice. Also, Brixworth and Sheffield neighborhoods off of Turkey Creek Road. We used to live in Inverness on Turkey Creek Road. Woodlands Trace is a good location, but a little older. Same with Village Green. Village Green is an older neighborhood with a mix of great and not-so-great houses, but everyone loves that neighborhood. We live on McPhee Road just south of a neighborhood called Bridgemore (look for the horse riding ring full of Tonka trucks). There is a neighborhood called McPhee Manor on McPhee that is nice, but not many kids and no neighborhood pool. Hardin Valley is growing really fast - a little too fast for me, but it is in a good location. They are going to build a new middle school there to ease the congestion. In the Woodlands Trace area (just north) there are some nice neighborhoods off of Heron Road/Briar Gate/Gates Mill. I forget the names of the neighborhoods, but very family friendly. My daughter has a friend that lives in there, so we are in there all the time.

My daughter will be in 9th grade next year at Farragut. I also have a son who will be going into 3rd grade next year. You have to be a bit careful of school zoning in the west end of Farragut as some areas (west of Everett Road) are zoned Farragut schools up through middle school and then Hardin Valley high school.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Funny, but we love Fox Den. Older, but huge amounts of character. We looked at a lot of houses in there. Andover Place is nice. Also, Brixworth and Sheffield neighborhoods off of Turkey Creek Road. We used to live in Inverness on Turkey Creek Road. Woodlands Trace is a good location, but a little older. Same with Village Green. Village Green is an older neighborhood with a mix of great and not-so-great houses, but everyone loves that neighborhood. We live on McPhee Road just south of a neighborhood called Bridgemore (look for the horse riding ring full of Tonka trucks). There is a neighborhood called McPhee Manor on McPhee that is nice, but not many kids and no neighborhood pool. Hardin Valley is growing really fast - a little too fast for me, but it is in a good location. They are going to build a new middle school there to ease the congestion. In the Woodlands Trace area (just north) there are some nice neighborhoods off of Heron Road/Briar Gate/Gates Mill. I forget the names of the neighborhoods, but very family friendly. My daughter has a friend that lives in there, so we are in there all the time.

My daughter will be in 9th grade next year at Farragut. I also have a son who will be going into 3rd grade next year. You have to be a bit careful of school zoning in the west end of Farragut as some areas (west of Everett Road) are zoned Farragut schools up through middle school and then Hardin Valley high school.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Very helpful thank you. We are also looking at two homes in Bridgemore neighborhood when we come out. I took your advice and looked via Redfin homes for sale off the turkey creek rd. and nothing for sale. It looks like a great area based off google satellite map. I will keep my eyes open for something to pop up. We are purchasing in May, so more homes will come up I’m sure. We are putting ours on the market in two weeks :bounce:

Last edited:
Most important question- how is the camping and off-road trails. I love creek crossings and moderate-difficult trails (I.e not rock crawling body damaging). Is their multi-day trails?

Very helpful thank you. We are also looking at two homes in Bridgemore neighborhood when we come out. I took your advice and looked via Redfin homes for sale off the turkey creek rd. and nothing for sale. It looks like a great area based off google satellite map. I will keep my eyes open for something to pop up. We are purchasing in May, so more homes will come up I’m sure. We are putting ours on the market in two weeks :bounce:

Here's a good website:

Knoxville Area Association of REALTORS

You can search by zip code, subdivisions, etc. For instance, 8 houses show up in the "Sheffield" subdivision off of Turkey Creek Road.

Most of the other Appalachia Cruiser guys can better answer the off road stuff. I've been to Windrock a few times, but there is a lot more around here.

Windrock Park

In Knoxville and love it already. Staying at the Oliver and just had a killer burger at the Stock and Barrel . We viewed many neighborhoods and found a home in Gettysvue and bridgemore neighborhood. So far no homes in Sequoyah hills that fit the bill but love that area.

Thanks again for all input. What does your wife think of Bearden HS

Bearden is a good school.

Sequoyah Hills is an awesome area. I love the variety there. We go for walks in Bridgemore on occasion as it is right next door to us.

Thanks again for all input. What does your wife think of Bearden HS

Wife says Bearden, West and Farragut are best public schools, Webb and CAK for private.

I lived in Knoxville from '94-'98. Great town, and I have a lot of good memories from that section of my life, but was in my 20s! It was really great to be able to drive 30-45 minutes and you are in the mountains~!!

Good luck on your decision, man!

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom