compact high heat torch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
So I busted another bolt on my chassis today and I am getting sick of it. Is there a small torch I can buy that will generate some serious heat on these things. Propane just does not cut it, and I don't really want to buy a welder rig just to remove chassis bolts.

I think MAPP gas is a bit hotter than propane. I'm not sure if that's enough heat or not, but I've used it on suspension bits.

Most of the little hotties will give more heat for a little while, but tend to use a lot of fuel.

BUT, you know that heat expands metal, right? I mean that sometimes heating up a bolt in it's threaded hole will tend to lock the bolt in there tighter because it can get bigger.
If possible, heat the area around a bolt. I know it seems like doing that would expand the walls of the hole in toward the bolt but done with moderation and sense the opposite can happen.

BUT, sometimes heat won't help. You want to break the rusty hold and sometimes it's just not possible and it's better to break the bolt, drill it out of there, and retap the hole.

I'm not big on wasting a lot of time over one bitch bolt.

You can get small "oxy/propane" torches farily cheap, and also plumbers torches (small oxy/acet) Check out your local pawn shops, and welding places, sometimes welding shops around here have used stuff, or know of someone selling used stuff.

My LC lived it's life on the East Coast until earlier this year. Almost all the bolts underneath broke off when I attempted to loosen. The only resolution I found was to drill and tap (back to original mm size)...which works perfectly fine: The bolt stub/nut was basically corroded into one piece anyway. And it is easier (and safer) than trying to flame them out!

Cruiserdrew said:
I think MAPP gas is a bit hotter than propane. I'm not sure if that's enough heat or not, but I've used it on suspension bits.

Andrew is right again
Mapp gas is hotter
Good luck
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom