Column Wiring Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing an aftermarket harness in my 79' fj40. I am not quite sure which column wires go where. I am using the stock 79' column. Any help would be great.

1st. plug has 6 wires

1) Green/Black
2) Green/White
3) Green/Yellow
4) Red/Yellow ( High Beam/indicator light ) ??
5) Red/White ( to light switch ) ??
6) Red/Green ( Low Beam ) ??

2nd. Plug 2 wires

1) Green/White ( Horn power ) ??
2) White/Black ( Horn ground ) ??

Just wired up the same thing:

Green/Black - Left Turn
Green/White - Turn Signal Common
Green/Yellow - Right Turn

Red/Yellow - Bright (push forward to turn brights on)
Red/White - Bright common

Green/Red - Horn. Common is actually chassis ground, so not sure what the White/Black does - mine was not hooked to ground like many other white/blacks.

By far the best wiring diagram I have found to use: http://www.yankeetoys.org/documents/wiring_diagram_78_fj40.pdf

I am almost done fully rewiring the 75 FJ40. All new vintage connectors,
http://www.vintageconnections.com/ConnectorKits.htm (ordered CK4, plus had to get the crimper - after crimping, I soldered every connection).
Using the Painless (yeah right!) 20 ckt waterproof harness. I tore the groupings all apart and regrouped them to match where I needed the wiring to go. I went inside of asphalt coated loom throughout, and fiberglass loom when close to the engine. I put the fuse box on the right side inside of the glove box. All looks really clean. I'll post a few pics if I get a chance. My FJ will not have any of the emissions stuff, so will be as basic as possible while still street legal. It has an 86 2F motor and electronic ignition. I have extensively planned and wired on this thing, so am happy to help where I can.

Last edited:
Hello guys, i have this same color codes, but have an additional question when hooking up the Painless wires to them.

Painless has a LF (Left Front) and a LR (Left Rear) turn signal wire, so 2 wires for the Left turn, and the column (wire color GB) only has the one wire from the column for the left side. The Right turn is the same, 2 Painless wires, one from column.

Did you guys hook up both the Painless wires to the single wire on the column???

Im not much for wiring, but i would assume this to be correct, but then you have 4 wires (2 for each side) for the blinkers.

Also, what is the "common" you refer to for the Horn, Brights and Turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom