Colorado now salting roads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had heard that CDOT started last year and it looks like El Paso County is following. I thought mag-chloride was supposed to be more environmentally friendly? I wonder if they had any public input before either entity switched? I also wonder if they factored in lost value due to rusted out cars? As much as everybody loved to hate mag-chloride, I prefer it over salt damage..

Wash under those vehicles after every snow outing...

Salt brine being used more often on icy roads around Colorado

Sorry article, what? Saying two different things.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 4.01.44 PM.png

They are two different things. El Paso County bought the equipment and had to perform some install of equipment so this year they will begin spreading. City of Colorado Springs is not using the salt brine. Not written well, but consistent.

Point is, we can no longer be the salt free zone we once were and will now have to deal with rust issues like other rust states. I wish there were some way to reverse the decisions.

Fluid Film for everyone!

Semi-serious thought - perhaps a group sprayathon of Fluid Film, buying the stuff in bulk for cheaper.

What is fluid film?

Lanolin- based rust preventative that can be sprayed over existing rust. Leaves a light oily film and generally safe for rubber. Needs to be reapplied yearly. Doesn't trap moisture. Works extremely well and not messy. Smells like sheep though.

Crap. That is a bummer to hear. Guess it's time to start washing my rig more often and get an undercoating regularly. (Where are the environmental folks when you need them) ;p

C (Where are the environmental folks when you need them) ;p

The article states sodium chloride is "not as harmful to the environment" as magnesium chloride.

I'd bet the greenies have found a reason to hate mag chloride and that is a major factor in this change - after all, it is Colorado Seeing as how they hate automobiles anyway it's a twofer for them: protect "the environment" from mag chloride and destroy cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom