Color Matching Bumpers - Seeking input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm replacing the bumpers on my 200 series. Going with the Rhino 4x4 Evo 3 for the front and the ARB (non-swingout) for the rear. I'm looking to have them both color matched to the Classic Silver Metallic body color. What I don't know is if I should try to color match powder coat to the Toyota paint (is that even possible?) or just have it painted to match. In either case I think I would need to have the parts media blasted to remove existing powedcoat and paint, but that's just an assumption. If I need to have them media blasted, is that something powder coat shops do by default? If I need to paint instead of powder coat, do paint shops do media blasting? Can anyone recommend one approach over the other? Can anyone recommend a good paint or powder coat shop that could potentially handle the whole thing? Really, any input is welcome.

lccc.jpg
5615020_B__04569.1621462593.jpg

Last edited:
I'm replacing the bumpers on my 200 series. Going with the Rhino 4x4 Evo 3 for the front and the ARB (non-swingout) for the rear. I'm looking to have them both color matched to the Classic Silver Metallic body color. What I don't know is if I should try to color match powder coat to the Toyota paint (is that even possible?) or just have it painted to match. In either case I think I would need to have the parts media blasted to remove existing powedcoat and paint, but that's just an assumption. If I need to have them media blasted, is that something powder coat shops do by default? If I need to paint instead of powder coat, do paint shops do media blasting? Can anyone recommend one approach over the other? Can anyone recommend a good paint or powder coat shop that could potentially handle the whole thing? Really, any input is welcome.
Can you try to buy those bumpers as raw metal without powder coat? Bet they would also cost less.

Can you try to buy those bumpers as raw metal without powder coat? Bet they would also cost less.

I'm trying to get the Rhino 4x4 folks to do it, but so far no luck. From what I hear ARB is a no-go. Certainly would make it easier.

I'm trying to get the Rhino 4x4 folks to do it, but so far no luck. From what I hear ARB is a no-go. Certainly would make it easier.
Well that's a bummer! I got my 100-series bumpers (which are now color matched w/powder coat) from Dissent Off-road and from what I recall he prefers or perhaps insists on shipping bare metal. He does make 200-series bumpers that look pretty cool.

Well that's a bummer! I got my 100-series bumpers (which are now color matched w/powder coat) from Dissent Off-road and from what I recall he prefers or perhaps insists on shipping bare metal. He does make 200-series bumpers that look pretty cool.

Yeah, Ben and I have discussed a more minimalist/OEM option and I love his work, but his stuff looks much better on on 2016+ 200 series. If I eventually pick up a 2019, it will have everything Ben makes.

If you go the Powder coating route I can recommend : they do good work

Pro-Strip Media Blasting & Powder Coating​

Located in Mesa

If you go the Powder coating route I can recommend : they do good work

Pro-Strip Media Blasting & Powder Coating​

Located in Mesa

Thanks. Just left them a VM.

That Rhino is my favorite front bumper. Is there an easier way to get one now or do you still have to buy and ship from Aus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom