Coleman single mantle lantern help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This used to belong to my grandparents, so it's pretty darn old. Anyway, it's a Coleman single mantle lantern. Last night I filled it with fuel, pumped it up, and tried to light it. I got nothing, but fuel was leaking from somewhere on top of the fuel tank, so I'm guessing the seals are bad. The weird thing is that the fuel that leaked out wouldn't ignite either. Maybe I'll pick up a gal of Coleman fuel and try it again.

Plus, there's a little lever on the back of the mechanism........I'm wondering if it's a fuel on/off switch or what it is.

I'll try to get pics tonight. Any input in the meantime? :hmm:

The lever on the back is for cleaning the fuel jet. Make sure it is in the down position wen you are trying to light it. Take a pick and show me where it is leaking and I can probably tell you what is wrong. I have a small collection of old Colemans myself.

The lever on the back is for cleaning the fuel jet. Make sure it is in the down position wen you are trying to light it. Take a pick and show me where it is leaking and I can probably tell you what is wrong. I have a small collection of old Colemans myself.

Good to know. Thanks! So, to clean the fuel jet, you just spin the lever around or what?

I'll try to get a picture of it tonight. I broke it down and put a new mantle on it and then reassembled it......can it be taken down further?

I restored one of the old single mantle Colemans, and I use it every time I camp now (I love the old school look). Go and buy some replacement parts (new generator and plunger) at your local sporting goods store and give it a "tune up" and you should be good to go.

Good to know. Thanks! So, to clean the fuel jet, you just spin the lever around or what?

That's it

I'll try to get a picture of it tonight. I broke it down and put a new mantle on it and then reassembled it......can it be taken down further?

It can be taken down further than that. Was the fuel coming out of where the arrow is pointing?
lantern.jpg

That's it

It can be taken down further than that. Was the fuel coming out of where the arrow is pointing?

Cool. Not sure........I didn't make it home in time to play with it. Hopefully tonight. I'll post up later. Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom