Coalmont OHV Park update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Coalmont has bought 1347 acres in Grundy County with federal RTP funds for a OHV Park. This land is at the northern end of the Coppingers cove trail and includes the area known as Flat Rock.
Currently the City is waiting for the State to approve the $528,000 RTP construction grant, this is a 80/20% cost share grant, much of the cost share will be covered by volunteers labor. We anticipate this will happen in the next 60 days or so. Until the grant is approved and contract signed by Mayor we cannot spend or commit to spend any money. The trailhead plans include about 4 acres of gravel, a Windrock style bathhouse,a visitor center, a vehicle wash station which will be paid for with grant funds. The grant will not pay for a pavilion or RV hook ups, so STLCA has committed to provide $14,000 for materials to build a 40’ x 80’ pavilion to be put up by Volunters. Also STLCA has committed $4000 towards RV hook ups , this is where the profits from GSMTR are going.
Once the grant is approved we will need to contract Engineering and survey services and get a State NPDES permit ( required for any project that disturbes over an acre), we expect this will take another 60 days, then we can bring in the heavy equipment and start work..
That said, we are working on some projects that don’t require committing state funds, that I need help with:
Need to get Southerns 5 ton dump truck ready, it came to my house winter of 2007 to be repaired and returned to Tellico but as we all know the US Forest Circus closed Tellico. So the truck needs a little mechanical work from setting, brakes ,power steering leak ,shut off cable frozen up etc.. And it needs to be painted..

Second is running the old and many overgrown trails and logging/rock harvesting roads with a GPS and then connecting them for loop trails, this is a project not suited to you daily driver wagon, we will be pushing through brush in some areas and turning around in tight dead ends.

Third project is verifying ptoprty lines, we have done some but need help with the rest. Most of this is foot work, walking lines looking for markers.
I am available during the week and weekends every other week.

I’ve got GPS survey equipment (sub meter capable) and a UTV that could we could use to map the trails and then software to generate maps, posters, electronic tracks, etc. Not sure if it helps, but I can donate labor/equipment as an in kind match if they allow that.

I could mobilize pretty quick for a weekday trip but my schedule books up pretty quick toward the end of August.

Not sure if you need it but we may also be able to plug in on the npdes piece. You’d need an engineer but we can assist with state waters mapping and other environmental requirements if necessary.

Yes we could use your help in mapping, once we get the trails worked out we will need to generate a map for users. Currently I am using a Garmin Montana 650t and plotting trails on google earth. We have a number of dead end trails and I am working on finding routes to make them into loops.
Our plans are to hire an engineering firm to do the permit work including the survey.

Yes we could use your help in mapping, once we get the trails worked out we will need to generate a map for users. Currently I am using a Garmin Montana 650t and plotting trails on google earth. We have a number of dead end trails and I am working on finding routes to make them into loops.
Our plans are to hire an engineering firm to do the permit work including the survey.

We may want to move this to a PM or phone conversation, but let me know your thoughts on how/when you'd like for me to help. Not sure exactly the end product, but we have software which we can use to generate trail lengths, terrain maps, etc with a variety of background options (aerials, topo, etc.). All files are exportable to many formats including google earth. We can also print large format posters if you want something to post at the trailhead.

Roger, we work all around that area (Altamont, Gruetli, Tracy City, etc.) And perhaps could be hired for the permitting work if needed. As we do work locally, I'd at least appreciate an opportunity to submit a qualification package when the time comes.

Are you all working with Southeast Development District on the grant administration? If you dont have someone to do the grant Admin, I can get you in contact with some folks that can assist.

As far as clearing, trail cutting and property line verification, would there be any interest in a club work day to do some of that stuff?

Mathew pm me the info for your company. Coalmont hired a grant administrator/ project manager, Bob Richards, a retired TDEC rec services employee, who has been on both sides of the grant process for 20+ years.
We will not start trail cutting until the grant is approved so we can count the man hours. What we are doing now is locating where they will be cut. Just needs a small group. Once the grant is approved we will have work weekends several times a month. We will have help from several other SFWDA clubs.
Tony has volunteered to help me next Thursday and Friday lay out trails. We could use one more truck.

Roger, I'd likely be game next weekend (Saturday and Sunday the 28th and 29th) along with Justin, so we'd have two 80s that already have a few scratches and a couple of chainsaws to find our way. We've been talking about an overnight camping Cove run anyway. Need us? I can't do the weekdays just yet.

We have been working the weekdays as there is people wheeling through the park on the weekend. We do need to mark/ verily the West property line, so if you want to come up I’ll meet you there. You can camp on the property.

I’m all for helping with this park so don’t take me wrong.
I’m aware of the money for the pavilion (although I think we need to shop around, 14k for a pole barn and no labor seems ridiculous) this was discussed at the annual meeting last year, but I don’t recall any mention of 4K for RV spaces, when was this decision made and who was involved in making it? seems like maybe we should see how the park is going to work out before we commit to nearly 20k total and then expect members to volunteer time.

First we will get a couple more bids, guessing you have not bought buildings materials lately.
As for waiting for park to be done before we donate that would cause a lot of extra volunteer work. The trail head is a major project first we (SFWDA volunteers)will grade 4+ acres, then bury power and water lines, build bath house, visitor center and wash station( those will be built by contractors) then we will gravel the whole area, so if we wait to do pavilion and RV hookups we will have to dig up the gravel plus pavilion is needed at the beginning. We stated for several years that our primary Charity is the Coalmont Park.
We did not publicize it till this year, because they were having issues with the land purchase and wanted to keep quite. We have been working on this since 2010
If you are concerned that they will do something else with the property , they cannot, it was bought with federal motorized vehicle RTP funds and the deed states that is the only use allowed for this land.
At the same time the above is happening volunteers will be building additional trails.

Not sure where your initial quote is from, or what the specs were, but I got a quote for a 24x60 from Discount metals in Shelbyville earlier this year. Seemed like a pretty reasonable number, about 50% more than the last time I priced it a couple years ago, but probably reasonable based on the current market. you have lived here a lot longer than me and probably already know all the players, but them and Watson Metals in Manchester is where I usually get quotes from.

Watson’s was my first quote on a 40 x80 with trim and cement for posts and insulation ( keeps it cooler and makes music sound better) $12,988, including delivery Then we need commercial lights and a donated by STLCA sign.
I planed to price Discount metals, but in past they have been the same as Watson’s

There's a guy in the Chattanooga area who builds pole barns and has a good reputation - he uses pre-made trusses, so sizing is in 12' increments I think, but his prices are pretty good and I've heard good things. I believe he mostly works in Hamilton, Bradley and Polk county, but I suspect he'd go to Grundy/Coalmont. Here's copy from one of his advertisements with installed prices...might be worth inquiring:

6x6 PT posts minimum 2' deep with 160 lb concrete @ each post
2x12 girder is inset and lag bolted to the posts with 2x6 top plate
Engineered 2x4 4/12 wood trusses @ 3' o/c with 2- 2x4 rat runs along bottom chord
2x4 lath @ 2' o/c with 2x4 barge rafters and 14" overhang continuous
40 yr painted metal roofing
Clean up
24x24x10.................. 2950.00 3 sides enclosed add 1650.00
24x36x10...................4150.00 3 sides enclosed add 2250.00
24x48x10...................5350.00 3 sides enclosed add 2650.00

Notes: Gables are open unless sides are included. To enclose gables on the economy structure add 300.00. Rafter tails are open. We can modify these structures to suit your needs.

All sizes and heights available.

The prices above are for relatively local buildings. However, we build within about a 150 mile radius

Thank you for considering us.

Justin Mizelle

423-605-3406

Big thank you to Tony, we got a trail flagged out up the Johnson creek valley, it’s a lot like trail 12 at Windrock but we will cut it out for full size and will need equipment work for last 200 yards to get up the hill to connect to existing trail for a big loop.

Roger, reading this it’s great to hear of land opening for trail use.

Want to ask; based on the past (tellico) and the red tape and Bs that allowed the fish huggers to shut it down....

Will this land be under the same type of laws or governing as tellico was?

I only ask this due to the natural idea if TU has it their way every bit of land would be closed for any driving.

Good luck with this project?

No trout in Sewanee creek. Tellico was US Forest Circus land. This owned by City. To buy land with federal RPT funds it had to be checked for endangered species,none found so I think we are safe.

An insulated roof for an open pavilion? Seems like an extra expense that the money could be used elsewhere for.

Last edited:
any news on this lately?

The constitution grant contract is signed and starts 1 January. We have about 3 months of surveying, engineering and design plus permitting so hope to start working in the Spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom