CMCC 2021 July 14th-17th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisermatts.com
A few of us in Central florida are discussing hitting this event in Pennsylvania since a bunch of us haven’t been up there to wheel yet.

Looking into taking the Auto Train from Sanford to DC and then it’s only a 150mil drive from there. About $720 round trip cost with lowest class coach seating.

So tentative plan is: load train at Sanford Monday 12th at 4pm, arrives outside DC 9am Tuesday (13th). That gives us all day to drive up towards Harrisburg and TwinGroves Campground. Maybe stop somewhere neat for lunch on the way there. Check in that evening so we are ready to go the next morning.

Event ends Saturday 17th, wake up next morning and head south to load the train and leave 4pm sunday, back in Sanford Monday morning (19th).
I’m assuming we need to be there a bit earlier then 4pm but not sure exactly what time.

The train doesn’t save on fuel costs but thought it might be a neat experience and open up a trip like this to guys with older rigs, especially 40’s, who would otherwise write off a 1k mile trip

Website with event info:

Train sounds cool, Ill have to do that in fj45 someday. But I'm going to be driving up the 70 series, going to overnight on Mt. Mitchell which is the highest mountain on the east coast. Then the second night I am going to check out Seneca Rocks and make it to the event Wednesday or Thursday.

4931407230_f642bcbd20_b-1200x900.jpg

MistySenecaRocks-e1567691247695.jpg

FYI
I have attended CMCC many times (making the drive from the Atlanta metro area). Since I have made the trip multiple times, I want to share a few additional perspectives for your consideration

• Twin Pines campground tremendous amenities for the family. Onsite there is a large pool-playground / merry-go-round / Ferris wheel / ice cream parlor / restaurant and rental cabins. If want to make it a family vacation and wheeling trip ... Twin Pines is a significant enabler.
  • Hersey Park is not that far away. Being from Orlando, an outing to an amusement park might not be of any interest. However, my youngest daughter attended CMCC most years and we drove up early 4 or 5 years so we could enjoy a day or two at Hersey Park. It is a small park compared to what you have, but there is a lot packed into the park. We love the fast intense roller coasters and Hersey Park has them. Due to the size of the park, they appear to have purposely designed the rides to be high intensity from start to finish.
  • I85 in Virginia (my route from Atlanta) is very scenic. It goes through the mountains and the Shenandoah Valley. Plus the Blue Ridge Parkway runs parallel to the interstate for 100+ miles. On some trips, we have diverted to the Parkway to enjoy it too.
  • Additional sights nearby on the trip - A few that we have included Antietam, Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg, World Of Hersey (if you are a chocolate fan) and Philadelphia
  • People - the crew from Gotham host a friendly event and will make you part of the event with them (if you want to). Beyond the Gotham crew, Gary and the PA crew are extremely friendly and fantastic trail guides. Raush Creek and the Anthracite parks have a lot to offer, and their trail guiding allows the best to be packed into the 3 days of the event.

Good luck with your plans

Thanks Matt. Great idea! It does seem the auto train has less restrictions on vehicles than truck transport does. That's a plus. Also there are small rooms with beds where a person can get horizontal for the trip. Another plus.

It's probably OK, but It would be worth verifying if the Auto Train is OK with items inside the vehicle like camping gear, spare parts and tools.

The deal breaker for me is tires. My Red Krawler stickies would sustain significant wear on the pavement ride. We also take for granted the lax law down here. VA,MD and PA might notice lack of wheel coverage and bumper height on an all out truggy. There's a long list of vehicle DOT violations on my truck.

I just put my cruiser on the auto train a week ago. It was all loaded up, with an axe and a shovel on the roof, along with other items, and they didn’t ask any questions. The only trouble you guys might hit is the 85 inch height restriction.

I just put my cruiser on the auto train a week ago. It was all loaded up, with an axe and a shovel on the roof, along with other items, and they didn’t ask any questions. The only trouble you guys might hit is the 85 inch height restriction.

Good info.

Thanks Matt. Great idea! It does seem the auto train has less restrictions on vehicles than truck transport does. That's a plus. Also there are small rooms with beds where a person can get horizontal for the trip. Another plus.

It's probably OK, but It would be worth verifying if the Auto Train is OK with items inside the vehicle like camping gear, spare parts and tools.

The deal breaker for me is tires. My Red Krawler stickies would sustain significant wear on the pavement ride. We also take for granted the lax law down here. VA,MD and PA might notice lack of wheel coverage and bumper height on an all out truggy. There's a long list of vehicle DOT violations on my truck.
Maybe take the Battle Wagon out of retirement for a trip?!

Does any of these auto trains go out west? Sleeping through most of the boring s*** on I-10 would be ideal when traveling out west (Colorado, Utah, Etc).

Maybe take the Battle Wagon out of retirement for a trip?!

Does any of these auto trains go out west? Sleeping through most of the boring s*** on I-10 would be ideal when traveling out west (Colorado, Utah, Etc).

It only runs from Sanford to DC. It's the only auto train in the country

Would there be a reason to go to this over GSMTR? I'm not sure if I'd be able to do both but no telling

The rocks, traction, trails (boulder fields, coal silt, etc. etc) are rather different than GSMTR/ Windsock. Driving most of Blue Ridge & Skyline Drive makes for a nice journey as well or a train ride for that matter.

Would there be a reason to go to this over GSMTR? I'm not sure if I'd be able to do both but no telling

Well for one thing most of us have to windrock a dozen times by now, I was just thinking about trying something new. I doubt any us will make this PA trip every year like a lot of us do with GSMTR
That being said I’m going to try to make both

Well I'm registered and some of my camping spots are booked. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom