Clutch won't engage?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the disc has two sides, obviously...one side has only some round springs protrucing, the other side has a center ~6" diameter section that protrudes into the pressure plate. IF properly installed, you should be able to lay the disc on the flywheel and the disc surface should touch all around...no interference from the flywheel bolts or anything. If backwards, the ~6" center will be hitting the flywheel-to-crank mounting bolts AND the disc will "not quite" touch the flywheel surface...like a 1/8" gap or so.

With the pressure plate installed, the disc is smashed into the plate and the center is smashed into the flywheel mount bolts. It's likely flexed to touch the surface of the flywheel too, so a visual inspection may not be obvious.

Get me mad enuf and I can change a tranny in 2-1/2 hours....start to finish. Red Green should be on UPN Thurs nights at 7:30, that's always been my motivator (seriously, few years ago, watched that show after discovering the trans I had bolted up had a bent mainshaft...show done at 8pm, I was back in the house by 10:15 with the tranny-t-case replace and everything buttoned up for a trail ride the next day...lol)

this side faces AWAY from the flywheel, and "inside" the pressure plate

clutchdisc2.JPG

Bo87, for what it's worth, I put my pilot bushing in backwards once and got pretty much the same symptoms as you. The transmission input shaft gouged its way into the bushing and bound up. That was on a Chevy, though.

Wouldn't shift into gear without grinding and jumping, and yep I would have drove through the garage wall when I started it in gear except I used reverse. Sent the dog packing that time and he still grimaces when I invite him into the shop. Here boy!

With the inspection cover on the bottom of the bellhousing removed, you should be able to see the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate. It sounds like if the clutch disk is backwards there should be a small gap between the clutch disk and the flywheel. Have someone press on the clutch pedal to release the pressure plate. Can you see a gap?

The springs and other junk protrude to one side ONLY and that side faces the transmission. There is not nearly enough room to have it work in reverse. I'm surprised you could even install it that way!!
Definitely sounds like you've got it in backwards.

Cruiser_Guy: I now see the error of my ways. I was in a hurry when doing the clutch install and just took a quick glance at the Hayne's and slapped it all together :'(. Got everything buttoned up and tried to go for a test ride. WRONG!! The tranny doesn't like a mis-installed clutch disk.

I feel allright about having to take the tranny out again as I have a heavy duty tans. jack, but man I feel like a ROYAL DUMB ARSE! :slap: Anyways, this has been a great learning experience for me and this board has played a huge part in the process. I feel confident I can correct this problem in a lot less time than before. Thanks for all of the input, especially the pictures. I always liked books with alot of pictures when I was in school. :D
Theo: watch out for those walls!

No reason to feel like a dumb ass, you have just been schooled the best way, from actual experience. The more you do, the more confident you become, better than paying some clown tons of money to fix yer stuff. :cheers:

Talk about feeling stupid, I just went though a bunch of old papers on my 'Cruiser before I was brave enough to do my own wrenching (I've had my '82 BJ60 'Cruiser for nearly 15 years). I could have got lots of extras for the labour costs I spent years ago!!

Hey Guys, thanks for all of the positive comments. In a way I guess it's kinda funny (depends on who your asking). I called my dad, who is a accomplished wrencher himself, and explained to him my situation. After he caught his breath from laughing at me so hard and asking my mom if I was really his son (HA, HA), he digressed, and told me that even though I fudged up, the experience was invaluable. Which I totally agree, but man I'm just so dang anxious to get it back rolling. :D Anyways, if I can convince the girlfriend to play "mechanic" with me on a Friday night, the CRUISER will be ready to go by tommorow.
Once again, thanks for all of the input and the encouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom